Disc mower cover??

Help Support CattleToday:

dirtdoctor

Reaction score
I just picked up a kuhn 600 disc mower that is in dire need of a cover. After looking at the only price I've found ($250+ shipping) I'm looking at a canvas tarp I have, has anyone has ever modified a tarp for a mower cover and if you have you got any hints? I hopeing a few cuts and some wire ties should get me thru this season, thought I might go big and put in some of those rings for the wire ties. I've also got this awl that I used to sew leather so I could even throw in a few stiches for good measure.

Or, should I just break down and buy the cover?

Tarp would probably work, at least for part of the season. The cover will last many seasons and you'll know it's right and doing what it's designed to do.

Thanks, Dun I figure the tarp will wear fast but I only put up about 25 ac, 1st and 2nd cutting. Since I've kinda spend my wad, I'm looking for a way to economize at least for a year or 2. I've been replacing other parts on other eq. since everything i've gotten was used and who knows what else I'll need once hay season starts. $50 here, $100 there really adds up fast plus lime and fertlizer, at least everythings paid for so far.

I have a real heavy piece of tarp, it seems like the same material that the ready made covers use.
I am going to try to make a cover for my mower, any suggestions on how to fasten the seams?

There is a company around here that makes semi trailer covers that will make disc mower covers. That material is pretty tough stuff and a lot heavier than a canvas tarp. Would at least be worth checking into.

The Amish people in our area make covers for livestock trailers. They probably make covers for disc mowers also. If you have an Amish community nearby try them.

id go ahead an order the cover from a dealer.because the covers are tough an they will last the life of the mower.

KenB":7kaujsx7 said:
any suggestions on how to fasten the seams?
I thought I'd glue them then run some stitchs with a awl just as an extra measure, I'd also put in grommets to run heavy wire ties to the frame.

tom4018":7kaujsx7 said:
There is a company around here that makes semi trailer covers that will make disc mower covers.
Great thought and you're right I'll look around, thanks

Cowdirt":7kaujsx7 said:
If you have an Amish community nearby try them.
I wish I did, We go to Ohio yearly so my wife can shop, I like to drive around and look at the farms they run tight ships!

bigbull338":7kaujsx7 said:
id go ahead an order the cover from a dealer.because the covers are tough an they will last the life of the mower.
I agree they're tough, but most of the mowers I've seen around here need their tarps replaced, espically the ones I've looked at that I can afford.

Thanks all! :tiphat:

dirtdoctor":3sni0d9l said:
I just picked up a kuhn 600 disc mower that is in dire need of a cover. After looking at the only price I've found ($250+ shipping) I'm looking at a canvas tarp I have, has anyone has ever modified a tarp for a mower cover and if you have you got any hints? I hopeing a few cuts and some wire ties should get me thru this season, thought I might go big and put in some of those rings for the wire ties. I've also got this awl that I used to sew leather so I could even throw in a few stiches for good measure.

I have the same cutter, dirtdoctor. My cover is starting to rip too. $250 for a new one that fits the Kuhn is pretty good price. Ironpeddlers business sells them, I think, for about the same price.

Call The C - C Ranch at 1-800-364-3551 and get your mower cover at a discount price! A 7' - 8' cut cover is $350 and a 9' - 10' cut is $400.00
All prices include UPS delivery to you! The C - C Ranch website is thecbarcranch.com - They sell covers for livestock trailers and hay mowers,
all brands and sizes. All of their covers are made in the USA and are excellent quality.

dirtdoctor":21vuhyjp said:

why dont you spend the 250 and get what you need to keep a piece of trash in your feild from taking an eye out-- isn't an eye worth $250?

BeefmasterB":3mjq7wkw said:
dirtdoctor":3mjq7wkw said:

I have the same cutter, dirtdoctor. My cover is starting to rip too. $250 for a new one that fits the Kuhn is pretty good price. Ironpeddlers business sells them, I think, for about the same price.
Disc_mowe_curtain.JPG

Make sure if you order a Kuhn GMD600 cover order state your model because the GMD66 takes a different cover.