Disc bine Conditioning Rolls ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a New Idea 5209 that has seen some use. It seems like the rubber crimping rolls don't do a good job. Is there a life expectation, a wear test, or an upgrade option available for these disc bine rolls?

When you say it doesn't seem like they're doing a good job, what exactly are you referring to? I would think that as long as they're set with the proper gap and the rubber is still there, there's no way for them to not work?

ohiosteve":3q9ux383 said:
I do know if you send too much material through them (too fast ground speed) they don't crimp as well.
Good point. Running too many tree limbs through will do the same thing I've found. :lol:

I remember reading on here someone ran a 16' gate through theirs. That'll probably affect the crimping ability as well.

I do recall hearing/reading about NI rollers wearing down to the point all the adjustment was gone. There's a place in PA that sells replacement steel rollers, though I don't know the cost. There's surely other places as well, but I've not looked into it enough to know where or how much.

ohiosteve":nc8ltsia said:
I remember reading on here someone ran a 16' gate through theirs. That'll probably affect the crimping ability as well.

I might know that guy :hide: :lol:

For the record it still works fine...
There is a procedure to set the gap but I'm sure if they are worn too far it doesn't matter. I find I have to adjust the pressure also depending on the crop. There is a company that will refurbish or recover them cheaper than buying a replacement but I can't find them or remember the name at the moment.

Have you adjusted the tension on them
If they are t crimping in heavier hay the springs may need tightened up

I agree with adjusting the spring tension on the crimper rolls if the conditioning ability seems to change with the volume of material. Also, I am sure the manual will describe a gap and also a visual test on the percent of stems that should show a crimp. I know on my New Holland that I actually had to adjust the gap down more then what the manual was stating in order to get the crimp required and it did make a lot of difference. You just need to make sure that the rollers don't end up touching because that causes vibration and damage. There is a test that some use aluminum foil pushed through the rollers by hand, I think you twist the foil into strips. Dan Undersander, University of Wisconsin has a article about proper adjustment and research on dry down with mower adjustment.

I have a New Idea 5209 that has seen some use. It seems like the rubber crimping rolls don't do a good job. Is there a life expectation, a wear test, or an upgrade option available for these disc bine rolls?
Old thread, you still there? i have a pair of rolls but I cannot tel how wornthey are. did you ever come across info on these rolls, or did you ever figure out if there's a measureable wear limit?

Latest posts