Disappointing butcher yield

Help Support CattleToday:

Ours is a 14 day hang time as well. One time we had to use a different slaughter guy, it took him two shots to drop the steer, at 20 feet away. When we went to pick the meat up on a steer that was huge, he comes out with two boxes of meat for an entire steer. That he hand carried out, he knew when I looked at him that I knew he was trying to rip us off. He starts handing us packages of pepperoni from someone else's pile. It almost ended up in a fight right there. Turned out the old owner had passed away and these crooks where trying to scam people to fill out their storefront. They lasted less than two months and we're out of business. I'll wait several months if I have to for my regular guy.

I'm getting the impression some of these butcher shops are not on the up and up....they might be exchanging prime cuts of beef for lesser cuts or shorting the customer by holding back the best cuts of beef. I'm getting suspicious now.
Or they just "confuse" carcasses-they're all identical naked, right?🙄

My guy says 14, but it is actually more like11-12. Kill day is Monday and pick up is Monday after 2 weeks. He normally calls on Thursday or Friday to say it is ready to be picked up on Monday.
Mine will say 14 and it will run over. Their bottle neck is labor to cut and package.

A win for me.

Our usual butcher was booked so far ahead we were forced to find another one for our British White beef steer. Picked up the beef today and was disappointed on a number of fronts, which is sad because this was the first calf we raised here and were really looking forward to great yield as big as he was. The hanging weight was 850 lbs. Of the two quarters we brought home (one for us and one for a family member), one yielded 116 lb (55%) and the other, 107 (50.5%). The discrepancy between the two was in the steaks and roasts. I had asked about fat cover and they said "it's right where it needs to be" so there wasn't excess outer fat to trim. The steaks were huge too so I just feel the yield is off somewhere.

We typically get about 60-65% conversion from hanging to finish. For comparison, our largest steer was 880 lbs hanging weight and we got about 132 lbs of meat per quarter, and that steer had excess fat cover, the butcher told us.

In addition, this new butcher didn't stamp the customer name or date on the packages; there were blood spills on several of the packages; they surprised us with a higher price upon pickup (their prices went up in the week between quoting us and picking it up and they didn't inform us); they refused to hang for 10 days (they only do 7); charged us for organs; and they never asked about brisket (they just ground it) or cuts like strip or porterhouse - instead just sticking to the plain and simple.

I guess we're spoiled with our regular butcher, who is very skilled, gets great yield out of a carcass and always does the brisket and porterhouse. Also, they throw in all the suet, organs, and dog bones for free that we want.

Thoughts?
Guess I would not use him again....

A couple of years ago we bought a half beef from a real good friend who sells cuts to customers along with halves and quarters of beef. He sends them to a feedlot and we've had his beef before. It's always really good. He likes the carcass to hang for 21 days. I think that's too long. but there never was a problem before. When we got the meat the burger was tainted. Smelled awful when you cooked it. My mother was a meat cutter and she always said there had to be plenty of room in the cooler for the air to circulate. Many years ago we took a beef to the processor during the fair. That meat too, was tainted. Too many carcasses and not enough cooler space. Anyway, back to my story,
I called the processor and told him about the burger. Mom said too, that any problems will show up in the burger because it goes into the fat. So they said to bring it in and I was ready to do that. In the meantime they called our friend and he brought us some of his burger, processed at a different plant. I told him, "this is the fault of the processor, not you. If I had wanted you to know, I would have called you."

That processing plant sold shortly after that. I don't know if it is better or not, because we don't use them for anything. When I gave them cutting instructions, they told me how they were going to cut it up. To which I said, "are you cutting this the way I want it, or the way you want it."

The roasts and steaks weren't too bad as I could cut the fat off those.

Half a beef lasts a long time when you aren't happy with it.

We used to butcher our own as kids. I remember just between my brother and I we varied when it came to cutting up the meat. I would trim close and take forever to trim out the gristle and toss out the excess fat, my brother always had more meat but when Mom went to open a package of meat she never had to trim mine but when she got my brothers the cats had dinner also. Another big difference I remember was if we butchered when it was around zero the meat would cure so much better than when it was in the 20's. Every day it hangs it loses some weight but it decreases each day. We usually butchered one Saturday and worked it up the next.
A youtube site that I like to watch is the Bearded Butchers I enjoy learning some of their tricks. Bet you can't get a beef worked in their because they truly are good butchers.

We usually like them to hang for 21 days. Last year our regular meat cutter retired, and shut down his shop, so we had to go with someone new. They would only hang for 14 days, we had a nice 1300 pound Char steer; he should have been nice and tender, but he was not. I not so sure they didn't sell our meat to someone else and gave us some old cow; unfortunately I can't prove it. We also had a crippled bull calf we took into them, and had him cut into hamburger. The burgers were spongy, and tastes a little off. We won't be going back there.

We had concerns about one slaughter house so took 3 hogs in for 6 customers. When we picked up the meat it was interesting to see the differences between the hogs and meat for each customer and the differences. They started bringing meat out by the package to make them equal. It was obvious they were robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you were taking only one hog for one person it wouldn't be as apparent. Fast forward 4-5 years, new neighbors down the road were raising two Angus steers a year for their family. The second year they asked if I would haul the calves for them. I helped them design a catch pen and a way to load without running the cattle to exhaustion. Well, I delivered to that slaughter house I quit using years ago. The guy was riding with me so on the way home I told him the story of why I quit using that slaughter house. Convinced him to use the one we were using for the next year. Also told him I thought they couldn't be eating two Angus steers a year. Well the next year rolls around, I haul to the slaughter house we had changed to. He comes by the house one night a week or so later and told me how much meat he had gotten and filled his freezers and gave some away. He was so happy. Next night he calls me to tell me he had only picked up one of the steers and he had to rent a locker for the second one!!!! Fast forward to the next year, I load and ask where they are going and the wife informs me they are going to the OLD slaughter house. I'm like, "what????" and she tells me, "we got to much meat from your slaughter house!". True story. Couple years later they move away broke. Wonder why???

Our usual butcher was booked so far ahead we were forced to find another one for our British White beef steer. Picked up the beef today and was disappointed on a number of fronts, which is sad because this was the first calf we raised here and were really looking forward to great yield as big as he was. The hanging weight was 850 lbs. Of the two quarters we brought home (one for us and one for a family member), one yielded 116 lb (55%) and the other, 107 (50.5%). The discrepancy between the two was in the steaks and roasts. I had asked about fat cover and they said "it's right where it needs to be" so there wasn't excess outer fat to trim. The steaks were huge too so I just feel the yield is off somewhere.

We typically get about 60-65% conversion from hanging to finish. For comparison, our largest steer was 880 lbs hanging weight and we got about 132 lbs of meat per quarter, and that steer had excess fat cover, the butcher told us.

In addition, this new butcher didn't stamp the customer name or date on the packages; there were blood spills on several of the packages; they surprised us with a higher price upon pickup (their prices went up in the week between quoting us and picking it up and they didn't inform us); they refused to hang for 10 days (they only do 7); charged us for organs; and they never asked about brisket (they just ground it) or cuts like strip or porterhouse - instead just sticking to the plain and simple.

I guess we're spoiled with our regular butcher, who is very skilled, gets great yield out of a carcass and always does the brisket and porterhouse. Also, they throw in all the suet, organs, and dog bones for free that we want.

Thoughts?
How old was your steer? At 880 lbs hanging I am imagining probably up around 30 months? If the slaughter house thinks it is over 30 months they will not do any bone in cuts from the top line by law.

Your return weight was exactly on the low end of return at 132lbs. That would indicate to me that they may be overly liberal with their "butchers share".

7 days hang time is unacceptable to me.

From your grievances I would never do buisness there again.

I went through a number of crappy houses before I found the one I am at now. And it is a good thing I found them as they haven't taken on a new client in years.

Good luck.

We had concerns about one slaughter house so took 3 hogs in for 6 customers. When we picked up the meat it was interesting to see the differences between the hogs and meat for each customer and the differences. They started bringing meat out by the package to make them equal. It was obvious they were robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you were taking only one hog for one person it wouldn't be as apparent. Fast forward 4-5 years, new neighbors down the road were raising two Angus steers a year for their family. The second year they asked if I would haul the calves for them. I helped them design a catch pen and a way to load without running the cattle to exhaustion. Well, I delivered to that slaughter house I quit using years ago. The guy was riding with me so on the way home I told him the story of why I quit using that slaughter house. Convinced him to use the one we were using for the next year. Also told him I thought they couldn't be eating two Angus steers a year. Well the next year rolls around, I haul to the slaughter house we had changed to. He comes by the house one night a week or so later and told me how much meat he had gotten and filled his freezers and gave some away. He was so happy. Next night he calls me to tell me he had only picked up one of the steers and he had to rent a locker for the second one!!!! Fast forward to the next year, I load and ask where they are going and the wife informs me they are going to the OLD slaughter house. I'm like, "what????" and she tells me, "we got to much meat from your slaughter house!". True story. Couple years later they move away broke. Wonder why???
You can't fix stupid!

The first calf that we had processed was a 17 month old Angus bull, that I didn't think had good enough rear legs and feet to be used as a bull. The hanging weight on it was 820 lbs. We have used 5 different processors. One that was a USDA facility doesn't do work for individuals anymore as they are processing for a regional branded ground beef product. Of the other four processors, we definitely have one that is our preferred first choice, and another that is a clear second choice.
Fortunately, I have never thought that we got cheated at any of the places, just some do a better job of cuts and packaging.
One time we had a first calf heifer that didn't claim her calf. The processor that we were using at that time, was going to be shutting down for a while, to do only hogs and deer. I only had about a month to feed her out, I like to feed them for 3-4 months. They only let it hang for 8 or 10 days don't remember which. Other places its standard to hang at least 14 days. Anyways the hamburger was fine, the roasts were good too, but wife cooks them for a long time in crockpot.
The steaks are where it really shows up, they have a good taste, but are tough. Wife crockpots them or cooks in thin fajita strips.
Thankfully, the calves that I have fed out to desired time, and that have hung for at least 14 days have all been good regardless of cut.

Or they just "confuse" carcasses-they're all identical naked, right?🙄
Only if they're all fed the same;).
An old butcher told me if there was a cooler of beef, similar in weight and all fed the same. He could pick out a Hereford carcass. He claimed they put fat on a little different, then the rest of the beef breeds.

An old butcher told me if there was a cooler of beef, similar in weight and all fed the same. He could pick out a Hereford carcass. He claimed they put fat on a little different, then the rest of the beef breeds.
I totally agree-a yearling steer should in no way look like an aged cow on the rail. If a butcher can't tell the difference, he was looking with his eyes closed.

I've heard (statements from Angus enthusiasts) that Herefords will put on quite a bit of back fat and won't marble. I know the part about not marbling is not true. We usually sell our black calves and feed out Herefords. The black calves sell better, but the Herefords turn out great beef too. It's been well marbled and tender,

You would think they would have less back fat with their thicker hide.?
That would seem logical, I don't know, I've not heard any of the processors comment on the back fat of our calves, but they have been complimentary of the quality. One calf was taken to an Amish processor, there was quite a bit of exterior fat left on it. I don't know if the other processors trim it more or if that calf was just too fat. My wife thinks he had too much finish and could hardly walk.