Disappointing butcher yield

Help Support CattleToday:

Of the various issues stated JL, I would be concerned more about the palatability (toughness) than anything else. A great yield of tough beef is not very desirable. A little less yield ya kinda get over after a few days but tough beef lasts the many meals as each pack comes out of your freezer
Do you attribute the toughness to the hang time?
Not a lot of yield. The last two I had butchered were yearlings weighing 700-800 lbs. The meat was so tough it had to pressured to be eatable, also soaked to get the excess blood out.

From your link

In summary, the amount of meat that is cut and wrapped for consumption will be much less than the live weight of the animal. A 1400-pound beef animal will yield a hot carcass weight of approximately 880 pounds. Once cooled, the carcass weight will be approximately 840 pounds. When deboned and trimmed, there will be approximately 570 pounds of product to fill your freezer.

My calculation of a 1,400 pound live weight
View attachment 12446
Correct, with some bone in cuts. Cut some boneless steaks and roast and its less. Either way it doesn't seem horribly off. Especially since we don't even know that actual total weight. I would be more concerned about them changing the price than a few pounds less meat than was hoped for.

From your link

In summary, the amount of meat that is cut and wrapped for consumption will be much less than the live weight of the animal. A 1400-pound beef animal will yield a hot carcass weight of approximately 880 pounds. Once cooled, the carcass weight will be approximately 840 pounds. When deboned and trimmed, there will be approximately 570 pounds of product to fill your freezer.

My calculation of a 1,400 pound live weight
View attachment 12446
I made the same mistake until @M.Magis pointed it out. He only got 2 qtrs and not a whole.

Of the various issues stated JL, I would be concerned more about the palatability (toughness) than anything else. A great yield of tough beef is not very desirable. A little less yield ya kinda get over after a few days but tough beef lasts the many meals as each pack comes out of your freezer
Do you attribute the toughness to the hang time?
No clue. A couple yearling calves, nothing special, between 700-800 pounds you would think would not be tough. Also hard to believe, as I don't remember the exact amount, but dressing out over 500 pounds a piece is a lot as I questioned that when they told me. The dogs sure have enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Right, but I wanted to extrapolate to use my expected yield formula and after doing so it does appear the yield was light.

He got 223 and should reasonably expect about 300. Hard to say why it was light.
Since none of the packages were labeled, its also possible the other quarters were heavy. Without knowing the total we're all just guessing.

Our usual butcher was booked so far ahead we were forced to find another one for our British White beef steer. Picked up the beef today and was disappointed on a number of fronts, which is sad because this was the first calf we raised here and were really looking forward to great yield as big as he was. The hanging weight was 850 lbs. Of the two quarters we brought home (one for us and one for a family member), one yielded 116 lb (55%) and the other, 107 (50.5%). The discrepancy between the two was in the steaks and roasts. I had asked about fat cover and they said "it's right where it needs to be" so there wasn't excess outer fat to trim. The steaks were huge too so I just feel the yield is off somewhere.

We typically get about 60-65% conversion from hanging to finish. For comparison, our largest steer was 880 lbs hanging weight and we got about 132 lbs of meat per quarter, and that steer had excess fat cover, the butcher told us.

In addition, this new butcher didn't stamp the customer name or date on the packages; there were blood spills on several of the packages; they surprised us with a higher price upon pickup (their prices went up in the week between quoting us and picking it up and they didn't inform us); they refused to hang for 10 days (they only do 7); charged us for organs; and they never asked about brisket (they just ground it) or cuts like strip or porterhouse - instead just sticking to the plain and simple.

I guess we're spoiled with our regular butcher, who is very skilled, gets great yield out of a carcass and always does the brisket and porterhouse. Also, they throw in all the suet, organs, and dog bones for free that we want.

Thoughts?
7 days is not enough hanging time. Sorry you were unhappy, but that alone would keep me from going back.

7 days is not enough hanging time. Sorry you were unhappy, but that alone would keep me from going back.
A buddy of mine had minimal hang time on one this summer, maybe a day or two. He said the meat was fine. I have not ate it. He will not go back to that processor. I will not use that processor.

I've never had one that hung more than 8 days. They've all been fine to me. None of the processors around have the space to hang more than a week. And you have to ask for that. Last one I butchered myself and I planned to hang for 14, but an early warm spell cut that to 8 days. I doubt anyone would be able to tell.

Sounds like you found out why they were available. Sorry it worked out that way. It would be a one and done for me.

I am sure i will be called a cynic but really hard to prove a steak here roast there a couple pounds of burger from each one. Always wonder how good the butchers family eats.
Yeah, I really hate to think that :0( It would be VERY hard to prove any skimming off the top. But eight pounds off between quarters....? Just doesn't seem right. And when they don't stamp the customer's name on the packs -- even when they were brought out separately -- it would be even harder to prove.

Correct, with some bone in cuts. Cut some boneless steaks and roast and its less. Either way it doesn't seem horribly off. Especially since we don't even know that actual total weight. I would be more concerned about them changing the price than a few pounds less meat than was hoped for.
Right, we don't have a livestock scale, and I know there is some shrink from hot carcass weight after hanging. But based on previous experience the percentage just seemed skimpier than expected. Oh well, live and learn, and we'll book our regular place much farther ahead!

A buddy of mine had minimal hang time on one this summer, maybe a day or two. He said the meat was fine. I have not ate it. He will not go back to that processor. I will not use that processor.
Right, I was kind of ticked off that they refused 10 days but we were backed into a corner. The only other butcher available in our time frame butchered on-site, and we're just not set up for that.

Right, I was kind of ticked off that they refused 10 days but we were backed into a corner. The only other butcher available in our time frame butchered on-site, and we're just not set up for that.
Seven days seems to be standard. Our regular butcher makes an exception for us on the 10 days.

Not a lot of yield. The last two I had butchered were yearlings weighing 700-800 lbs. The meat was so tough it had to pressured to be eatable, also soaked to get the excess blood out.
I'm getting the impression some of these butcher shops are not on the up and up....they might be exchanging prime cuts of beef for lesser cuts or shorting the customer by holding back the best cuts of beef. I'm getting suspicious now.

Latest posts