Disadvantages of YOUR favorite breed.

Help Support CattleToday:

Some of the Simmi's produce way too much milk, sometimes leads to udder problems later. We usually run a red bull with a little chrome. This will occasionally get you the traditional spotted and/or ribboned calves, which I happen to love, but even really high quality calves with those markings will take a 2 or 3 cent hit at sale time if you're not selling private treaty. Around here, trying to find one of the older type yellow ribboned bulls is nearly impossible. They are usually cut as soon as they hit the ground, not to mention the black thing!

If it was Angus taking advantage of another breeds programs, it would be "progressive", PATB. ;-)

They always have a nice way of coming out smeeling like a rose.

mtnman

We run into 2 problems with our Murray Greys - one is a lack of recognition of the breed, the other is that Greys tend to be a little finer boned than other breeds. As a result we are penalized on our steer calf sales. I don't know if this is just in my area or if it happens other places, too.

Brangus - disposition! and the ears.

I cull for disposition, and every year it seems as if a previously normal cows freaks out and goes mental.

Ears just too big - sometimes cause discounts on otherwise nice steers, but I'm working on that one with angus plus.

cypressfarms":cp7uxymm said:
Brangus - disposition! and the ears.

I cull for disposition, and every year it seems as if a previously normal cows freaks out and goes mental.

Ears just too big - sometimes cause discounts on otherwise nice steers, but I'm working on that one with angus plus.
it aint the ears cypress. its what they indicate too the buyers the ear's are a great asset too them and me in fly season. it's the other end were the improvements need too be made ;-)

Hello everybody! I am new to this (why is nobody else from California?)but I've really enjoyed this topic so I'd like to comment. I have a small herd of Angus and Angus cross cows. The only complaint I have about the pure Angus is that the heifers seem to have a hard time getting condition back after they calve. The crossbreds seemed to do better keeping weight on.