Dis-Banding Complications?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have Red Angus that was banded for castration at age 1 week (now 3 1/2 wks old). The band bothered him so badly that we removed it at 4 1/2 days. Tonite we notice his testicles and scrotum have shriveled and dried. We do know, of course, that he is now sterile, but the concern is: should the dried testicles be removed surgically, or is there any danger in just leaving well enough alone?

Thank you in advance.

[email protected]

He may be sterile but that doesn't mean he won't act like a bull when he gets older.If you group a calf like that with other steers he may cause a riding problem or an agressive fighting problem.If you plan on selling him fairly small I wouldn't worry with him anymore but somewhere down the line someone may cut him.That is one reason I prefer the razor to the band.

[email protected]

If it is dried and shriveled up it will probably fall off on it's own in a few weeks. If it doesn't I would cut it off or put another band on it until it falls off.

For future reference, don't remove a band once it has been placed. I had to chuckle at your "We do know, of course, that he is now sterile," statement. You are probably correct, but there are no absolutes when raising cattle. If he had been surgically castrated by someone who could count to two, you could be certain, but removing a band once it had been placed shouldn't have been done. Once it's on, leave it until it falls off.

Leaving the shriveled testicles in place won't harm the animal, but you won't know for certain he is sterile.

> I have Red Angus that was banded
> for castration at age 1 week (now
> 3 1/2 wks old). The band bothered
> him so badly that we removed it at
> 4 1/2 days. Tonite we notice his
> testicles and scrotum have
> shriveled and dried. We do know,
> of course, that he is now sterile,
> but the concern is: should the
> dried testicles be removed
> surgically, or is there any danger
> in just leaving well enough alone?