Direct selling beef

Help Support CattleToday:

willow bottom

Reaction score
With the market up in the air I'm looking to get away from the commodity prices as much as i can. I'm throwing the idea around of feeding out steers and direct selling to the public. i already sell vegetables directly to the public so beef would be a good thing to add to my operation I already have in place. Haven't decided if i'll be selling actual cuts of beef or just do the half or whole animal.

I'm looking for numbers from the guys who do this. Such as how much money you have in feed per head and what your profits or profit margins are? It's scary to put all the time and money into a steer only to break even or lose your tail. Thanks in advance!

Don't know the numbers for you, that really depends on frame score, body type, breed, age, how you plan on finishing - lots of variables.
I charge $3.25/hanging weight and the buyer pays the cut/wrap/freeze (generally $0.48/lb/ hanging wt) I raise Simmental cattle. I start them on corn right after weaning. Butcher at 12-14 months of age, with about 650-700# carcass.
For you to sell PACKAGES of meat, you must use a USDA butcher shop. Not sure on the details of legally weighing the packages. If you sell halves, you are selling half of a live animal based on it's hanging carcass weight.

Guy across town sells by the package and although he didn't give me numbers he says it's well worth the extra time it takes.

A lot of folks at the farmers markets are selling raw milk and packaged beef with a not for human consumption label on the package. This seems like a good way to get around the USDA bs. You just can't sell directly to restaurants doing it that way.

Don't mess with the USDA, I heard of a homesteader who sold a few goats by the cut and got a $25,000 fine

Latest posts