Dinner tonight

Help Support CattleToday:

Our weather was crappy yesterday and today is worse. I made a meatloaf last night and we'll do hot open faced meatloaf sandwiches for dinner tonight.

Got a couple of rib eyes thawing, will be having steak au poivre for dinner tonight.

Here we BBQ 365 days a year even in weather like today or colder .It is a blustery -4 F here right now, but the sun is shining and the wind has died down . Great day to stay inside and watch the race :D

hillsdown":1dckug7d said:
Got a couple of rib eyes thawing, will be having steak au poivre for dinner tonight.

Here we BBQ 365 days a year even in weather like today or colder .It is a blustery -4 F here right now, but the sun is shining and the wind has died down . Great day to stay inside and watch the race :D
I think I saw a post very recently about the au poivre, which looked delicious!

It is really good Kathie and easy, I get Mr HD to grill the steaks rare, let them rest for a few minutes and slice them, the hot sauce poured over them heats them up to medium rare. Usually serve it on a bed of homemade linguine . Delicious !

Tonight I am just serving it with green beans and sauteed spinach . Keeping it knda light as I made omelettes for brunch .

Here is the sauce I am making :
2 tablespoonsbutter or margarine
1/4 cupbrandy or beef broth (I use brandy )
1/4 cupbeef broth
1/2 cupwhipping cream
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard ( use horseradish dijon, has a bit of a kick)

If I serve it with linguini I make more of a cheesy white wine type of sauce .

hillsdown":35ojesub said:
It is really good Kathie and easy, I get Mr HD to grill the steaks rare, let them rest for a few minutes and slice them, the hot sauce poured over them heats them up to medium rare. Usually serve it on a bed of homemade linguine . Delicious !

Tonight I am just serving it with green beans and sauteed spinach . Keeping it knda light as I made omelettes for brunch .

1/4 cupbeef broth
1/2 cupwhipping cream

OMG, my mouth is watering! But I have a problem here, HD, in that hubby prefers his steaks cooked to near shoe-leather done. So, when I do steaks, need to start his 1/2 hour before mine! But that sauce looks awesome. Did you not also have similar recipe sauce with the side veggies lately? Was that the prime rib ??

I don't usually do a sauce for veggies , unless I make cauliflower as that is the only way hubby will eat it is with a cheese sauce. I have done a green been casserole with a white wine mushroom sauce before.

My husband used to be really fickle, he wouldn't even try things. Could never even get him to try lobster or any seafood really. I gradually wore him down and now he trusts me , well except for escargot .. :lol: I will be d@mmed if I am serving good beef well done. It is an insult to me as the breeder and as the finisher of them . No one gets well done shoe leather beef here . If you don't like the way I serve it, then starve . That goes for guests too. :cowboy:

To me that is like someone who salts the food without tasting it first ,or covers their plate with ketchup . :mad:

No argument, HD!! That's why I don't get PR roasts cut, and save tenderloins for me, for when he's not home. I'm the only one here that would eat lobster (love it!) and would not even try to sneak snails to him. Had exquisite lemon/herb lamb kabob at daughter's catered BD party yesterday -- he liked 'em, until he knew what they were. Some things, you just can't change, especially when you don't get a chance to try training them until they're older . . . . .

Kathie in Thorp":2e3vjqco said:
hillsdown":2e3vjqco said:

1/4 cupbeef broth
1/2 cupwhipping cream

OMG, my mouth is watering! But I have a problem here, HD, in that hubby prefers his steaks cooked to near shoe-leather done. So, when I do steaks, need to start his 1/2 hour before mine! But that sauce looks awesome. Did you not also have similar recipe sauce with the side veggies lately? Was that the prime rib ??

HD, could 1/2 - 1/2 be substituted for the wh. cream?

I don't see why not ,or if you can use low fat or fat free evaporated milk as well . You may have to thicken it with corn starch or such.

Steak au poivre is off the menu, the husband has to do a job up North tomorrow ,so is leaving tonight .

Kathie in Thorp":3dhj4a8q said:
No argument, HD!! That's why I don't get PR roasts cut, and save tenderloins for me, for when he's not home. I'm the only one here that would eat lobster (love it!) and would not even try to sneak snails to him. Had exquisite lemon/herb lamb kabob at daughter's catered BD party yesterday -- he liked 'em, until he knew what they were. Some things, you just can't change, especially when you don't get a chance to try training them until they're older . . . . .

Lol, I hear you Kathie. I have been working on mine for over 18 years now and started on him when he was 27 . I may have had an easier go though as he spent many years living on peanut butter sandwiches when he first came to Canada . :lol:

hillsdown":1w2hca8o said:
Kathie in Thorp":1w2hca8o said:

Lol, I hear you Kathie. I have been working on mine for over 18 years now and started on him when he was 27 . I may have had an easier go though as he spent many years living on peanut butter sandwiches when he first came to Canada . :lol:
And my Southern boy won't eat P-nut butter, either! :lol: :lol:

So I'm producing decent enough pizza, but I'm having issues getting a well-cooked bottom (I have the same problem at the beach, but that's for another forum).

My setup essentially imitates a Hearth Kit: I have a large pizza stone and I've placed fire brick on either side to create a wall, and the broiler acting as a ceiling. This is in an electric home oven with a convection option that goes up to 550.

I'm pretty happy with the way the pies are turning out, but I want to try bringing things closer to the broiler to get those ever-elusive leopard spots.

However, my biggest hurdle is getting the bottom fully cooked before the top burns. My stone clocks in at around 500-550 degrees, but in the pizza below the bottom was basically white and floppy.

(I know, I didn't actually take a picture of the bottom)

Should I invest in a better pizza stone? Would cast iron work better? It seems to me a black metal surface would cook more powerfully than a beige stone one...

Thanks!

Do you preheat your stone ?

Can you do 2 different levels, start out at the low rack and when it is nice and brown bring it up to the top level to get some nice bubbles on the top .

I don't use a stone I use a stainless steal pizza pan that has holes in the bottom so it gets exposed to heat and air. Cooks much more evenly than a stone. I only like the stones if I do pizza on the grill and use indirect heat.

I love roasts cooked in a crock. Hope you had some taters in there too. I processed sausage started some ham after work tonight and my wife had made a nice casserole with some fresh broccoli from garden but I don't want to even look at food at the moment.

rkvp65":2ehfo4f3 said:
However, my biggest hurdle is getting the bottom fully cooked before the top burns. My stone clocks in at around 500-550 degrees, but in the pizza below the bottom was basically white and floppy.
What you need to do is bake the pizza for a few minutes before turning on the top broiler. When you think the crust is done from baking turn on the top broiler and crack the door and watch the cheese start to bubble and get the spots you want and then take it out. It won't take but a minute or two with the top broiler so don't turn your back on it.