Diluter Gene

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I have a "gray" Simmental heifer that is out of a red cow with a diluter gene, and a homozygous black Simmental bull.

She's almost breeding age now, and I want to know what I'll get if I breed her to a homozygous black bull?

Black or grey, the dilutor gene is sort of a crap shoot. I think you could also get a rattail. Not sure how that comes out in second crosses to black.

dun

TheBullLady":2q0d4kq7 said:
I have a "gray" Simmental heifer that is out of a red cow with a diluter gene, and a homozygous black Simmental bull.

She's almost breeding age now, and I want to know what I'll get if I breed her to a homozygous black bull?

TheBullLady":vwylivg1 said:

Why are you worry about color? Worry about the quality, temperment, and benefits on this special heifer. I noticed odd-colored cattle seems to be docile... Just like the dog breeds.......the mongrel usually makes the best pets. I heard that most dogs and cats in their pounds are purebreds... I feel that Angus breeders should spend some time in the dog pound LOL!

Almost no matter what a grey calf whether it's a rat or not will be docked at the barn. Even if there is nothing wrong with the calf it's a grey and they can get away with paying less for it.

I'll say one thing about the Oregonian --- he sure is consistent, and predictable! Arnold Z.

we have had simmentals with the same problem the calfs that came out gray were sold. But for a experment we kept a heifer and bred her to a red angus just to see what hapens. she had twins one was a nice red angus looking calf and the other was a rat. The red calf out grew and out performed the grey one. That was the only calves she had. So it will be eather hit or miss. The cows that had that trait were culled. so no simmentals are left with that gene.

what about the murry grey breed? imo there just a good milking grey angus .there carcus should grade same as angus.do they get hammerd at the salebarn too? ive never raised any.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

I dont know but around here the highest selling calves are long and black and the next highest are long gray calves. most everyone uses either angus, brangus, or charolais bulls. The rat tails do get discounted but not the regular charolaisxangus.

We kept two heifers as an experiment to see if the rat tails were really inferior or if it was just a reason to dock calves at the sale b/c they could. both of these heifers were great quality aside from the rat tail. One is now an 8 year old cow that has had average calves, either black, light gray, or red. The other is a two year old heifer that had a heifer that is the dark rat tail gray but doesnt have a rat tail. i personally think they are just docked b/c they can be. the only thing i can maybe see a rattail being less efficient at is swatting flies.

Latest posts