dilemma

Help Support CattleToday:

I wish she would just sell them all they are nothing but a bunch of wild hellions-who get out on a daily basis-on our land, so yeah I have lost all sympathy for her, family or not-she is on her own

heck if yall have hay in your local paper for $50 a bale thats cheap.ive had family an friends ask if we had any extra hay to sell an told them no.because we are in a drought,an suffered a fire last year that burned 60 bales or less in widrows as it was being baled.tell her to buy it an that yall will haul it for her.

thats a given we will have to haul it-I just hope she can find some, because I know she won't pay $50 a bale for it-oh well, we told her in summer to look around, she didn't listen always thinks her hay will miracously last all winter long-

at $50 bucks a bale what size bale and what quality do you get?
I'm paying nearly that to the silage contractor just to make 4ft rounds!

hillsdown":1jd7uw2f said:
I think it is time to be honest with her . Tell her the truth. She needs to grow up and think for herself as people like her give all of us cattle women ,be it dairy or ranchers ,a bad name . Does she want to be a business woman or a useless, needy burden ? The choice is hers, you have done enough GMN time to wash your hands of this. By enabling her you are not allowing her to grow as a person. Sometimes the school of Hard Knox and disappointment, has the best lessons to learn from .

Good luck !
I agree w/ Hillsdown. You're trying to be a good neighbor, and that's understandable and commendable. But this is her mess, not your mess -- she made it, and it's not your problem to fix. She may have to sell what she can't afford to feed. And then don't feel guilty about it. Hopefully, she'll plan better next year.

Is that $Aus Old man emu?
I was making big baled hay for $NZ29, contractors doing the whole job except stacking. That was a few years ago though, haven't made any within the last three years. Since the 2008 drought it can't be bought for less than $60 and balage can be $100 - 120 a bale delivered. I can't see a reason to buy it in at that price.

regolith":28ef24cz said:
Is that $Aus Old man emu?
I was making big baled hay for $NZ29, contractors doing the whole job except stacking. That was a few years ago though, haven't made any within the last three years. Since the 2008 drought it can't be bought for less than $60 and balage can be $100 - 120 a bale delivered. I can't see a reason to buy it in at that price.
I think I paid $42Aus for silage from cutting to wrapping and inoculated for 260 bales. Obviously the more I get done the better the rate. From what I'm told round bale hay is $10 cheaper.
I don't know what people are paying in other areas but I think prices are inflated around here because the area is full of "Sydney money" if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean.
I don't remember what I was paying for silage but it does come a lot more expensive, even though I don't usually let the contractor turn it - just cut, bale, wrap and stack (they have to stack it because I don't have the gear to stack wrapped bales).

I've been thinking about this post, and family-This person is our neighbor and yeah she drives me pretty much crazy sometimes, but she is family too. We can't sell her any hay but we did find her sme, unfornunatly she had to pay $55 a bale for fescue/orchardgrass-1000 lb bales. Around here that is the going rate. She got 14 bales, we hauled it for her, so its done-until she runs out again-I hate to say this but I think a person has to help family out no matter what, and try to be the best neighbor you can be, because someday you may need a helping hand yourself-and the tables be turned.

GMN":37aan6ba said:
I've been thinking about this post, and family-This person is our neighbor and yeah she drives me pretty much crazy sometimes, but she is family too. We can't sell her any hay but we did find her sme, unfornunatly she had to pay $55 a bale for fescue/orchardgrass-1000 lb bales. Around here that is the going rate. She got 14 bales, we hauled it for her, so its done-until she runs out again-I hate to say this but I think a person has to help family out no matter what, and try to be the best neighbor you can be, because someday you may need a helping hand yourself-and the tables be turned.
Yup -- like I said before, you're the good neighbor, and you are apparently a good family person, too! GMN, this is one of those deals where you just have to figure out in your heart and your mind and your wallet what you can do. And you did. And not everyone would do the same. :tiphat:

jedstivers":9251x010 said:
Why do you have to help family no matter what? Some family can't be helped no matter what. I have friends that would come long before family and be there for me long before family.
Most of my help has been used up . My family knows not to even call me unless they want to tell me why.. My sister called for money about 2 years ago and after we sat down to figure out where her money went she decided she didn't need my help . I'll do the free labor but money is a different story .

:nod: It's been a series of well thought out decisions and alot of hard work that led to what money I have... Why would I kill myself off for someone that had the same chances and didn't take them?
When I see a spark in someone and I'm sure that my help will be a starting point and they'll take what I give and move foreward then I'll bend over backwards and then some to help but when someone just didn't plan very well they get alot of "boy, that must be hard to deal with..." and " Wow, what an unfortunate deal" from me. I've learned that I can help them all day long and they'll be back in the same situation before daylight.

jedstivers":2bbfl8wa said:
Why do you have to help family no matter what? Some family can't be helped no matter what. I have friends that would come long before family and be there for me long before family.

I know where you are coming from-I have friends as well that have helped me out more than family, but family is family-some friends i have known so long that I just think of them as family too-you don't have to be blood related to be family either
I just think maybe the world is a better place when people help people-if it works out great, if it doesn't it doesn't
I just feel the choices I make and the decisions I make, I have to be 100% right with them, or it bugs me-and when its said and done you just know when you have done the right thing

Latest posts