Dilemma

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I loaned our trailer to a neighbor to haul some cows to the salebarn. On the way back a tire separated and had to be replaced. Old tire and nothing that he had done wrong. He won;t let me pay him for the tire. I figure it's just wear and tear and it would have had the same problem the next time I used it.
How can I get him to let me pay him for it?

dun":2nrpitgb said:
I loaned our trailer to a neighbor to haul some cows to the salebarn. On the way back a tire separated and had to be replaced. Old tire and nothing that he had done wrong. He won;t let me pay him for the tire. I figure it's just wear and tear and it would have had the same problem the next time I used it.
Of course this would depend on personality which we don't know the man. (He sounds like a keeper)

"Look Dufus, i'm sorry that old worn out tire seperated on you. I'm glad it didn't cause you a major problem. But I am glad the defect showed up before I had to use it again. Here is the money for my tire."

Dufus says, No, no I want take the money."

Dun says, "Yes, it was my worn out tire. If I let you pay for that tire I would feel like I was cheating you and you are too good a neighbor for me to have that on my conscious."

Dufus, "No, I don't want...

Dun, "Here take this money! Now that is settled! Besides I may need to borrow something of yours sometime and I want to feel free to ask."

Dun, I understand where the neighbor is coming from on this one. There's no doubt in my mind that you would not allow him to pay you for the use of the trailer, would you? Ok, here's his way of paying for the use of it.

What if the tables were turned and you had borrowed his trailer and the same thing happened? Would you have allowed him to pay for the tire?

Your neighbor feels good doing this...and he'll feel worse if you keep insisting on paying for it.

Just remember that most people feel responsible for anything they borrow from someone and if something happens to it while it's in their possession, they feel responsible for taking care of it. I'll bet you feel the same way, also.

Going back and forth with nooo, I'll get it....nooo, I'll get it....no, it was old and garbage anyway....no, I was using it when it broke and I'll fix it....nooo, nooo, noooo...before long, somebody's likly to get :mad: and get their feelings hurt.

Men...sheesh! :roll:

Alice

dun if he is like some of the feller's i know you could not make him take the money.He think's he has pulled his weight by fixin the tire and i figure he was glad you loaned him the trailer to try to get him to take the money if he says no your just wastin your breath.their will come a time some way you will get to pay him back.

rattler

dun":3bao1xvm said:

We borrowed our friend Mike's trailer all the time last year. Steve went to get Ruth Anne in Oklahoma, (donkey we bought at a church auction) and the tire on his trailer did the same thing. Replacing the tire made us feel like a way to pay him back for letting us use the trailer whenever we wanted.

BTW, we bought that trailer from Mike last week, so we won't have to ask to borrow it again.

Talk to him one more time when you see him, and if he just won't take your money, then let it go and know you have a good friend and neighbor.

dun":2fws0syo said:

Don't make an issue of it. We own the "community" bale trailer. Different people use it to haul their round bales during hay season. If something breaks when they're using it, they fix it.

If I borrowed your trailer and the tire blew, I'd want to pay to have it fixed as well. Kinda like saying thank you for letting me use it. After all, its still cheaper than owning my own.

dun":k478ma81 said:

If you persist in trying to pay him back, you risk damaging the relationship or causing hard feeling. I would leave it alone, but be on the lookout for an opportunity to 'recycle' what he paid for the tire - so to speak.

Your neighbor is a principled man. Don't disrespect those principles by insisting that you re-imburse him for the tire.Z

Let the guy pay if he wants to :D , and look for a way to "pay it forward" to him or someone else in need.
You are not taking advantage of him by him paying for the tire.
We borrow or rent a bit of equipment. We always repair if we break. We like to return the equipment the same way we borrowed it or better. We hope that in the end we might be able to borrow or rent again from them, and in a way it says thank you and shows respect for your equipment which you paid hard earned $ for.
To many time in our area people return equipment broken and just park it without telling the owner, or offering to pay. Then the next time the owner goes to use it and finds it broken, he gets disheartened and rather not lend or rent again.
So, let him pay.

Tammy

I would just let him pay for it. In an odd sort of way, if you ask him for half of it this would be like assigning blame on him. By just accepting the fixed tire you are merely accepting his thanks for letting him use the trailer. Additionally, if you let me borrow your tractor, I'm not going to bring it back empty. Its gonna be full. You wouldn't go ciphoning out the diesel would you?

If you used his trailer and had a tire separate, would you just return it and not replace the tire? Probably not.. you'd fix it.

Everytime I go to my grandfathers he tries to give me something (money, candy, something) and whether I want it or not I just take it because it means more to him to give it than anything else.

dun":2oihd5pk said:

You mean that old jalopy that was in your driveway? I'm just amazed the other three tires made it home alive. :lol:

Jokes aside, if the tables were turned I doubt you'd take the money. Send him a couple packs of steaks/burger. Or maybe some firewood.

cfpinz

Let him pay for it and then ask he and his spouse to go out to supper or have them over for a BBQ with all the trimmings. That'll boost a frienship everytime.

Dick

Let him pay for it. When you see them at the local restaraunt pay their check without them knowing you did until the waitress tells them after you have left. When I have borrowed a trailer, I felt it was my obligation to fix a tire or put on a new one if something went wrong. I wouldnt feel right if I couldnt pay for it

dun":3s1rj7nc said:

Dun, Your neighbor values your friendship and the fact that you allowed him to use the trailer. His way of thinking is that he appreciates the use of the trailer and the cost of the tire his his way of saying thanks fto you allowing him to use the trailer and besides the tire replacement is waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than than him buying and maitaining his own trailer.

Your time will come to repay him, whether it be in cash or some other form.

You both have done the "right" thing - he paid to repair what tore up while he was using it; you tried to reimburse him since it was bound to happen. Let sleeping dogs lie and keep a good neighbor/friend. Rest assured the time will come when you have the opportunity to return the favor.

Take him out for dinner, rather than paying him.

That's what works for us when we have to deal with fine upstanding people like that. :D

In fact, we pick up several more people like that every year when hauling hay. Now we have about 7-10 people who help and refuse to allow us to pay for fuel. But - we do feed them good.

Latest posts