Dilemma selling beef quarters or halves

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchwabble

Reaction score
I am just starting out the last couple years selling beef. The problem is that I have more customers than I have cattle ready for slaughter. Of course I don't want to send them away so I am trying to figure out how I can get the beef to the customer and still make a profit. I was thinking about going in with one of the other ranchers out here but I don't know if that's a good idea. There is the issue of where to get the money for the steers if I pick them up at auction. :???:

Bret

IMO, if you can find someone raising their cattle like you do and is willing to help with your supply, it would be better than buying at the sale barn. You don't know how those cattle have been raised. Have they been sick or treated with antibiotcs? Normally that wouldn't be a big problem, but if you're selling beef direct it could be.

BTW, you'll probably get more responses to this if you also post it on the Beginners or Everthing Else board. There's more traffic there.

Frankie":1lv19szh said:
IMO, if you can find someone raising their cattle like you do and is willing to help with your supply, it would be better than buying at the sale barn.

Agreed. You can also ask the customer for a deposit to help cover the purchase cost of another steer or two. We've also had customers who've asked if they could pay us a set amount every pay period until their beef is ready, and settle the remaining balance when we weighed it. It's a little more to keep track of, but for some people we were willing to do it.