Dilemma (Clover/2,4-D)

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Here is our choices:

-Top seed clover now, don't spray 2,4-D and try to manage weeds with better grazing management and better mowing management

-Spray 2,4-D now and don't top seed clover until fall when we lime

Was told not to spray 2,4-D until at least three days in the 60s--I'm leaning toward the seeding clover now and managing grazing & mowing better.

You pose a great question. If you are looking for tonnage of hay at an increased cost then go the 2,4-D route but if you want quality and have the time and ability to clip/graze your hay fields then seed your clover now. I had snow on the ground this morning and should have walked some on myself.

kjonesel":13yegefk said:
You pose a great question. If you are looking for tonnage of hay at an increased cost then go the 2,4-D route but if you want quality and have the time and ability to clip/graze your hay fields then seed your clover now. I had snow on the ground this morning and should have walked some on myself.

We buy all the hay, this pasture land is completely used for grazing the cattle.

If the pasture needs lime the clover will not do well. If you plan to lime in the fall the ph won't change for probably 6 months . So yOur really 2 years out from planting clover . I've been rotational grazing and my cows eat a lot of the stuff I sprayed for in the past . I spot spray and mow about every 2 months during the spring , summer and fall .

JSCATTLE":1bcs6snw said:
If the pasture needs lime the clover will not do well. If you plan to lime in the fall the ph won't change for probably 6 months . So yOur really 2 years out from planting clover . I've been rotational grazing and my cows eat a lot of the stuff I sprayed for in the past . I spot spray and mow about every 2 months during the spring , summer and fall .

That's just it the soil test are really close on the lime but you know how it is if you're just barely under the optimum numbers they call for it like you don't have any. Most of the fields didn't call for lime but some called for the minimum. I like your idea of rotational grazing and they'll eat more than you think.

Does the clover grow all summer there? It dies out by June here . Thats when I spray if things get out of hand.

JSCATTLE":13k90vid said:
Does the clover grow all summer there? It dies out by June here . Thats when I spray if things get out of hand.
If we are wet enough it will keep growing some.