Digital Scales

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
Wanting to buy a set of digital scales to put under my new chute. Any body have any suggestions? What do you think about Tru-Test Scales?

made me think of a trivia question. some of you oldtimers will know it. what do you call the disc shaped weights used on a set of the old time cotton scales ?

We are investigating getting a scale and setting it up. Have looked at several websites...expensive! Was just wondering if there is a good source for reliable "Load Bars" and the Digital read-out unit that we could contact? We would be constructing our own platform to put on load bars as well as 4 sides to the scale to contain the cattle in.

I feel we can do better than the $1,500 to $2,000 some of these systems are selling for (load bars & digital unit)!

If anyone is "allowed" on this board to post supplier's websites, please post. If not, please either E-mail or PM me with the information.

Thanks y'all!

I'm still checking on scales too. I bought a ELK RIVER chute and am planning on installing them under there. The chute is set up for Tru-Test Scales but I probably could use some other kind. See any good sites, let me know. Thanks!!!

bwranch":1cz9yzr5 said:
Bill,

Check out http://www.massload.com. I was looking at them before I happened on the used set we bought. I've heard good things about them from several different sources.

Lee

Thanks, I checked out their website & products. Seem to be quality products and they are manufacturers. I emailed them with our needs...will see what happens!

do very many on here use the old type scales... it is basically a box that hold the animal and has scales built in.. the kind where you slide the indicator along the bar until it raises the end of the bar?

how good/accurate are they?

it looks to me like there is not much that could go wrong with them, but i am interested to see what some of you have to say about them.

thanks

jt

The problem I had with them is if the animal is jumpy or shifts around it's a real killer to get an accurate reading.

dun

do digital scales hold up good? i have been told that if they get wet at all they go haywire, and you have to get the dealer out to fix them???
i have been told that cows urinating on them as they are being weighed can cause them to go out? anybody else had this experience??

jt

We haven't had any problems with them going out and they have been dirtied up pretty good. We have it set up in the barn. Have had them for about 3 years. Sure are handy to have.

No weather related problems that we've seen. I did cover the leads with plastic tubing to protect them from UV. I leave the loadbars out but pull the digital read out thingy in after each use.

ckc and bwranch, what brand of scales do you have?

jt

Got them at the World Beef Expo, good deal. For the life of me can't remember the name.... will look next time I go to the barn. I think they are Tru test 2000????

Howdy,

Tru-Test scales here.
Powder River XL chute, with preg check area, and then before that is our floating scale bin. The powder river floating scale bin was setup to use the Tru-Test HD1010 heavy duty load bars. They each have approx. 10' cord attached which have screw cap covers when not connected to the scale. Tru-Test Scale model 700, simple and clean works off 12v car battery, and captures a steady reading rather quick. The load bars are made very heavy duty and take the outside elements. The digital scale itself just has a screw knob on each side, so it just goes back inside very easily. I do not see any problems due to wet etc..

The vet has digital scales under they squeeze. They don't work 3/4 of the time. I don't know what brand they are though. It is probably due to the fact that nobody there knows how to work them I guess. It's disapointing when I take in a heifer I want a weight on and all I can get is an eye-shot estimation.

What do you guys think of the platform scales with load bars under them. I could install them in the alley right before the chute. I can see where it would be nice to pull them out when you are not using them, but then again I am a little concerned if I have a jumpy animal to weigh. No way to squeze them down.

I built a platform for ours and located it in the alley before the chute. I need to be able to weigh horses and sheep. Right now we just use pipes front and back to hold the cows in. Project list includes slide gates before and after the scale. Works for us.

Lee

they make some with aluminum platforms that fit right in your alley, they attach to the load bars & you can move them easily, about 1500 dollars

Latest posts