Digital Converter

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
What a joke.
Got my converter box, hooked it up and nothing. No digital signal. Ran a scan, nothing. :?
Guess living with hills around us does not help.

Thought to switch from our Direct TV to Dish Network to get our local news channels. Now that was a nightmare. Credit check, needed my social security number, new promotion, didn't qualify for the promotion, run around, run around. FORGET IT! :mad:

Hope nobody else is having this trouble.

I am getting our's this weekend, if there are any left. I had the coupons but they expired. Stipid me. I thought they were good until the switch. I was noodling with the idea of trying to get Dish on all our televisions, and may call yet and ask about it. I need to do something. I am running out of time.

One of our locals went digital a few weeks ago and the signal is worse. Now we need to upgrade antennas to pick it up. They are having a lot of complaints but it seems the new technology made this worse.

Got a new updated receiver from Direct. Their guy came out and installed it. Told us we would have to get a 100 mile antenna and breath just right and we might get a digital signal.
Thanks for the link Dun, I'm going to check it out.

Our picturer with the converter is much sharper then we ever got with the old signal. If you connect both a a satellite or cable and the converter the picture quality will really suck unless you set it up to put the converter signal on a different channel then the satellite/cable signal. We use ch 3 for the satellite and ch 4 for the converter.

Guess i'm lucky.
I went to direct tv satalite and a digital tv a couple of years ago.
I sure like them old westerns on the western channel.
About all I watch is History channel,Discovery,animal planet,court tv(cops),outdoor,and Rfd tv,and western channel.

Cal

tom4018":2wec7puw said:
One of our locals went digital a few weeks ago and the signal is worse. Now we need to upgrade antennas to pick it up. They are having a lot of complaints but it seems the new technology made this worse.
Don't buy a new antenna just yet. Many of the tv stations are broadcasting their digital signal on uhf band which is weaker until the changeover then they will move back to their regular vhf band.
There is no such thing as a digital antenna.

digital does not have as long a range as analog, however the picture usually is either perfect or not there at all.

danl":3215fk9e said:
tom4018":3215fk9e said:
Don't buy a new antenna just yet. Many of the tv stations are broadcasting their digital signal on uhf band which is weaker until the changeover then they will move back to their regular vhf band.
There is no such thing as a digital antenna.

digital does not have as long a range as analog, however the picture usually is either perfect or not there at all.
Our local ABC has made their change, things were better when they were on there temporary setup. One tv picks up more stations on rabbit ears than another does with a better indoor antenna. When they made their change we lost signal it was better the other way really. Sometimes no signal at all.

bigbull after the run around and tag team stuff they did, no way.
Looks like we will just leave the Direct TV turned on all year round. We normally just have it turned on in October and shut off 6 months later because we are outside so long that we have no time to watch it. :?
I'll just keep calling and bug Direct about getting our local channels. :D

We've got cable and Direct tv both. The Direct is only on the tv in the family room. The cable is on the rest. I'm waiting to see what my reception is like after the switch so I'll know exactly what if anyting I need. My in laws recently switched to Dish from cable and seem to like it. Well he does, my mother in law can't find any of her channels any more. :lol:

We use DirectTV for 99% of the programming, History, Discovery, Food, BBC. For local stations we use the antenna. Put a converter on it and the signals are much better then the analog was. With electrical storms we alwasy lose the satellite but the antenna still gives us the local stuff. I'm kind of curious how the digital signal will hold up when the storms roll in.

spoon":sgt1oht8 said:
We've got cable and Direct tv both. The Direct is only on the tv in the family room. The cable is on the rest. I'm waiting to see what my reception is like after the switch so I'll know exactly what if anyting I need. My in laws recently switched to Dish from cable and seem to like it. Well he does, my mother in law can't find any of her channels any more. :lol:
It does take a while to figure that out and find them. They are just about like the grocrey stores too, about the time you have it all figured out, they go and move something.

I luv herfrds":22lsadpm said:
What a joke.
Got my converter box, hooked it up and nothing. No digital signal. Ran a scan, nothing. :?
Guess living with hills around us does not help.

Thought to switch from our Direct TV to Dish Network to get our local news channels. Now that was a nightmare. Credit check, needed my social security number, new promotion, didn't qualify for the promotion, run around, run around. FORGET IT! :mad:

Hope nobody else is having this trouble.

When I had direct tv they came out and installed a separate dish to get me local channels and i did not have to pay extra for them. I recently cancelled direct tv and at&t and went with Charter phone, and cable, as I already had their high speed internet. I wanted everything on one bill.

I'm confused. National news says it has been delayed till June. Michigan local news says it is happening Feb 17, I have their converter but have rabbit ear antenna which doesn't seem to work too well. Sometimes okay but usually NOT. Been using the "pass through" function to watch TV. Guess I am going to need an outside antenna to make the thing work??

CKC1586":3cyqyjwg said:
I'm confused. National news says it has been delayed till June. Michigan local news says it is happening Feb 17, I have their converter but have rabbit ear antenna which doesn't seem to work too well. Sometimes okay but usually NOT. Been using the "pass through" function to watch TV. Guess I am going to need an outside antenna to make the thing work??

Rather then rabbit ears you need that round loop antenna. There are a dozen (at least) sites that show how to build your own indoor antenna for just a copule of bucks. Google it.

Latest posts