Different Theories

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Am I interested in some different viewpoints here. What is the best way for a person to build a solid herd from scratch within a 3-5 year time frame. Land is not an issue and decent forage is available, however, I only have the funds to add 2-3 head per year. Breeds, commercial, purchases, cycles, methods....so on. I am interested in any input ya'all might share. Thank You

Buy 3n1s, pairs or at least pregnant cows. preferably something 4 or 5 years old to prevent calving problems, plus young cows and heifers have a greater energy requirement b/c they are still growing and trying to raise a calf. they should be able to produce ATLEAST until they are 10. breed will depend on your location and in my opinion should take into consideration your own preference. i think it would be wise to wait until prices go down, although with prices as high as they are there are probably a lot of average-good cows for sale on the market that normally would not be. you cant really go wrong with commercial cattle but if you have the time to commit to it, purebred wouldnt be a bad idea if you have a market for whatever you choose to raise. i would buy private treaty or if you have a reputable sale barn you could attend some breeder cattle sales and see if they have anything that catches your eye.

Your statements and questions are too vague to answer properly....

Two or 3 cattle per year? $55. each holstein bull calves? $20,000 each registered heifers, cows, or bulls? Lot of variables to consider. Even feeder calves, non-registered, at $500 each not much expense per year...

Am sure others have more questions before they can answer properly...

:D

holstein bull calves arent going to build a very solid herd without some females thrown in the mix..

Guest":nnxun090 said:
Am I interested in some different viewpoints here. What is the best way for a person to build a solid herd from scratch within a 3-5 year time frame. Land is not an issue and decent forage is available, however, I only have the funds to add 2-3 head per year. Breeds, commercial, purchases, cycles, methods....so on. I am interested in any input ya'all might share. Thank You
How big of a herd and how many head are you starting with?
How much land and forage is available/? I know ya'll from the South but where at Honey?

Be patent....Cattle are near an all time high right now.
Use this time to get ready, check fences, build working facilities.
water? minerial feeders? Hay feeders?

WAIT, Don't buy untill they go down some probaly Nov, Dec, Jan.
Then try to buy 50 to 60% of your total number of cows that you want to run...3 to 5 yrs. later you should be at your projected number.

Its OK to borrow money on cows if they are not too high[700 to 850 for 3rd period 4 to 6 yr olds,commercial] Get a 3 year loan, annual payments.
The sell on your calves will cover your payment plus a little, but all feed, fertilizer and upkeep will come out of your pocket the first three years.
Don't skrimp on the Bull!!
Hillbilly

I would go to farm credit and borrow the money and buy as many as you can now. The prices are still high, but the money is still cheap..about 5.5%. Buy bred cows or 3 in 1s late in the year. If you have the income, you can file a section 179 on your taxes and get about 30% of the money borrowed right back when you get your income taxes back. You can borrow $20,000 and get $6000 back in 5 months. Then you can pay more when your calves are ready to wean.

You can probably buy 25 bred cows for 20K. Pay the $6000 when you get your income taxes back (if you pay much in taxes) and then pay another 10K when you sell your calves. Within a year, you can have 80% of it paid off!

If you don't make much money, you can spread the depreciation out over 3-5 years. The great thing about the cattle business is that everything is tax deductible.

la4angus":1r92e0pj said:
People
Get READY for a "BIG TRAIN WRECK" and don't say U weren't 'WARNED'

Is this akin to "The sky is falling, the sky is falling"?

dun

dun":16dp6ay4 said:
la4angus":16dp6ay4 said:
People

Is this akin to "The sky is falling, the sky is falling"?

dun
Nah Dun
You have been thru this before.
If the sky is falling we will all be dead.
The "BIG TRAIN WRECK" will make you Wish you were Dead.

redangus":33ik4tsm said:
People

What about my advice would you change? Really interesed.
Yes. I woouldn't advise anyone to buy cattle at or near all time record highs.
Prices may rise a little more or they may not.
If we don't get the ewxport markets open and the Canadian Border opens to let the Canadian cattle into the U S of A we will see a steep decline in the market. It doesn't matter how cheap the money that You borrow, the calves still have to pay for it, unless you are independently wealthy.
Don't forget "Highest Prices Always Come at the TOP

If we don't get the ewxport markets open and the Canadian Border opens to let the Canadian cattle into the U S of A we will see a steep decline in the market.

Canadian beef cattle herd is about 10% of the American herd size. Of that we export only 20% of our production. So total production from Canadian exports to the US would be equal to approximately 1 week of US production. Some of our exports are already going to the US in the form of boneless beef. I wouldn't think what little production that will be coming your way in the form of live cattle is going to cause any huge fluctuations in your market. Currently, the US imports 20-25% of its beef. The only difference is that you have changed suppliers. I, personally, believe that the Japanese market will open to US beef before the Us border opens to Canadian beef anyway which kind of makes the whole thing a moot point.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. A few of you wanted more info. to help me out. Currently, I have 4 mixed cows purchased as cow/calf pairs last year. Sold the calves from them early in the year. Bought a reg. angus bull. I had the first calf from the bull recently. Later than I wanted, but a fine looking bull calf. I have them on about 100 acres. I mentioned earlier that I was only adding 2-3 head a year only because I do not want to get a loan right now.(Financing limited as always) Located in Eastern KS. Again, thanks for any responses and am interested in all viewpoints.

If you dont want to borrow money, [its always best not to]
Then you will just have to be patent. will take more than 3 years but will suprise you how fast your herd will grow...retain your heiffers and swap bulls every two years, keep good quality bulls, add cows like the ones you have as you can.....5 or 6 years from now you should have 30+- cows.

Hillbilly

we like you small, growing..and buying...
all of you big number cattle raising folks should be cheering at that..just my thought. who knows what will happen, but do i really expect the price of gas to decrease significantly.. thats the way i read it..

a couple a year will make you smile.. thats the way i look at it.. its slow and simple..but it works:) donna

Latest posts