Different meanings for the same thing

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
Steering Wheel. That part of the car that is used to make the car go either right or left by turning.
Steering Wheel in Florida. The burning wheel of death that has been setting in the parking lot for an hour.

And around here, we say "sitting" not "setting" :hide:

I'm just painting my truck near black, should be fun in the summer!

melking":1b8hslsr said:
Good catch nesi. We say sitting too except for us grammar morons....
Mel. Your OP is correctly using "setting". Objects set, people sit. At least that is how I was taught. A car is setting in the parking lot. A person is sitting on the porch. If I am wrong, I am blaming my third grade teacher because that is how Mrs. King taught me.

inyati13":2v449lt5 said:
melking":2v449lt5 said:
Mel. Your OP is correctly using "setting". Objects set, people sit. At least that is how I was taught. A car is setting in the parking lot. A person is sitting on the porch. If I am wrong, I am blaming my third grade teacher because that is how Mrs. King taught me.
Sorry you are wrong. The car does sit as does the rock sitting in the field and the glass on the table. And a chicken "sets" on her eggs. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":20zgw9ss said:
inyati13":20zgw9ss said:
melking":20zgw9ss said:
Sorry you are wrong. The car does sit as does the rock sitting in the field and the glass on the table. And a chicken "sets" on her eggs. :lol2: :lol2:

According to the dictionary:

Use sit for an action that a person or animal does by oneself.
Use set for an action that a person does to someone or something else.
This is the rule I referenced that a person or animal "sits".
In regard to "set". It is an action someone does to an object. You set your glass on the table.

But you are correct. An obect can be "sitting". As in the house is sitting on the hill.

crane: That bird is a crane./They had to use a crane to lift the object./She had to crane her neck to see the movie.
date: Her favorite fruit to eat is a date./Joe took Alexandria out on a date.
engaged: They got engaged on March 7th./The students were very engaged in the presentation.
foil: Please wrap the sandwich in foil./They learned about the role of a dramatic foil in English class.
leaves: The children love to play in the leaves./They do not like when their father leaves for work.
net: What was your net gain for the year?/Crabbing is easier if you bring a net along.
point: The pencil has a sharp point./It is not polite to point at people.
right: You were right./Make a right turn at the light.
rose: My favorite flower is a rose./He quickly rose from his seat.
type: He can type over 100 words per minute./That dress is really not her type.

Jogeephus":1jggrx8j said:
sim.-ang.king":1jggrx8j said:
Nesikep":1jggrx8j said:
So clarify for me what an Irish Setter does?
Cause they set up for the point, DUH!

No, they stand in front of the fool who thinks its a bird dog. :hide:
That's for sure. Although you can find a 1 in 1000000 Irish that actually points birds, and doesn't just run in circles. :lol2:

Latest posts