Different foods...

Help Support CattleToday:

My aunt lives in Owensboro, says Moonlite is for out of towners. The locals go to Old Hickory. I do like the mutton from Moonlite though.

Went to a little joint in Hopkinsville one time, can't remember the name, good mutton there too. Marion has a little roadside shack that my daughter just loves, and I'm pretty fond of too. Was going to try the Copper Top in Fredonia last time through, but it was closed that weekend.

My grandma used to cook snapping turtle for us, she'd brown it in a cast iron skillet then throw it in the oven for a while, pretty good that way. I always burned more calories getting them skinned out than what I got from eating them.

Little joint in H-town sounds like Bar-B-Q Shack.

Tambco in Salem has decent BBQ and good fish. Mmmm. Ya'll making me hungry.

After googling, I'm thinking it was the Wood Shed, I was on a parts run with my friend to the Case IH dealer and we passed it on the way in, and stopped before we came home. They're not too far apart, so about gotta be the Shed.

What would I be if I didn't share.......
(from an old recipe book my mother had)
Sounds greasy as hell. I bet them grease soaked sweet taters just slide right down your throat without even trying or chewing...DSC00494.JPG

What would I be if I didn't share.......
(from an old recipe book my mother had)
Sounds greasy as hell. I bet them grease soaked sweet taters just slide right down your throat without even trying or chewing...View attachment 6562
Sounds like good recipe, especially if you substituted the celery and coon. That kind of gravy making is a lost art. Homemade gravy made from the grease of whatever is cooked is sure good over mashed potatoes or biscuits. I'm missing my grandmothers fried chicken gravy and my mothers fried or baked chicken, round steak, or calf fry gravy.

Sounds like good recipe, especially if you substituted the celery and coon. That kind of gravy making is a lost art. Homemade gravy made from the grease of whatever is cooked is sure good over mashed potatoes or biscuits. I'm missing my grandmothers fried chicken gravy and my mothers fried or baked chicken, round steak, or calf fry gravy.
Notice it doesn't say anything about 'bake until coon is done' or bake until coon is tender'.
All it says is to cook until 'potatoes are done'.
To be honest, the recipe and the order in which things are done doesn't make a lot of sense.

Notice it doesn't say anything about 'bake until coon is done' or bake until coon is tender'.
All it says is to cook until 'potatoes are done'.
To be honest, the recipe and the order in which things are done doesn't make a lot of sense.
I agree the recipe doesn't go into much detail, I'm under the impression that it is old enough that the writer takes for granted that the readers will know the details.
The parboiling will cut down on cooking time and it may be pretty well done by then. The browning phase would be where the gravy components come from. My mother did that when cooking her roasts before she put them in the oven. Then I guess by the time the sweet potatoes were done maybe an hour the coon would be done. If I was to ever eat coon I would want it as done as it could be. I had a great aunt that was known for her coon and sweet potatoes. Never had the opportunity to sample it, she must have done that in her younger years.

I tried baked coon once. Been so long ago I can't remember what it tasted like. Remember only taking one bite and didn't swallow it.

Interesting. We have barbecue joints on every corner. They say that moonlite barbecue in Owensboro is really good. We always ate at The Briarpatch when in Owensboro.
Funny kind of story. We used to buy bbq from Brewers BBQ. I just called them Brewers brothers. They would set up just different places parks, parking lots, festivals, ect. Really good bbq. 😋One day we saw some people cooking at this park thought it was them was going to get some bbq. We got all pumped up for bbq. Turned out to be a black people family reunion. We were the only white folks. Didn't matter to us we just wanted some bbq. 😎
Did you get any?

Did you get any?

When we saw the name family reunion t-shirts we realized we weren't at Brewers BBQ. Seriously thought about it, didn't want anybody mad we just came for the BBQ and not to see the family. They weren't eating yet and looked like it may have been a while they were still setting up. I'd bet we weren't the only people to want to join their family reunion it smelled delicious.

Latest posts