Differences in areas

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":2q7tb209 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2q7tb209 said:
Thanks guys.
Pipe was replaced about 10 years ago - assume that's OK. Hubby said check valve is down the well with the submersible pump. I'll call our well guy. He put the system in & should have a good idea.
Thanks for all your help.

Still no rain - in the 90's yesterday & today (rare for here - usually a total of 5-6 days a summer - and we already met that quota in June). Everyone is a little worried, but they all realize we are a whole lot better than some of you.
near 100 here today with the heat index of 112..... seen some angus in a field on the way in,, with signs ''compare this sht to Scotland'' :cowboy:

Temp 108 here today and drier than a powder house.

Calmed down for right now. Don't worry some backwoods idiot will get another one going, the last one a couple weeks ago was caused by two nuts target practicing. They were using propane tanks for targets. :shock:

Caustic Burno":3g8vaf3q said:
Calmed down for right now. Don't worry some backwoods idiot will get another one going, the last one a couple weeks ago was caused by two nuts target practicing. They were using propane tanks for targets. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: that was a good laugh! can you imagine!!!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3genymjv said:
How are the fires??

The fire fighters along with the government supplements have done a remarkable job.

We're about to hit the 10th week of no rain and its been over 100 nearly every day of that 10 weeks. It is bone dry with even mesquite trees turning yellow in places. We were low on water before this last run with no rain. 20 miles north/east/west and south they have a bit of green still left in pastures here and there. We got left out of the rain that hit this area a few weeks back.

4 stock tanks are completely dried out. If there was grass in some of the pastures I couldn't move the cows there.

Feeding hay and being thankful for the fire fighters doing such a good job.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":24g6xit4 said:
Most of you will remember how much I complained about all our mud & rain. Well, now we are dry. Haven't had a drop of rain for ?3 weeks? My house well is different than my outside water source well. It is pretty shallow (75"?) If I do laundry or, like last night, I watered some flower beds. Our house water is MUDDY. I can't remember that EVER happening. Not sure if it is really the "dry" issue or something funky with the well.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not comparing our "dry" situation (not drought) to all you folks in a true drought. Just saying how different areas are. This land NEEDS water every 3 days or so. We have CRACKS in the ground. When I watered the flowers, water just dissapeared in cracks.
I see signs of corn starting to "curl".
And it's only been 3 WEEKS - after a record breaking wet spring!
Shows how different soils are.
We've been dryer in the past. Just seems like our underground water level should be plentiful after the over-abundance of water all of March, April & some of May.
When we first moved here, we would have a heavy rain, then 2 days later (or less) farmers would be out plowing their ground. Hubby would say, "look at that fool - his land is going to be slabs". Well, it wasn't. It worked up beautiful. In Kansas, you couldn't do that. You didn't live in Southwest Kansas I take it LOL
Different soil.
We've had 3 weeks of sunshine. That's like a miracle around here. THREE DAYS is a blessing when you are trying to put up hay.
This area would be a DESERT if we were like some of you, not having substantial moisture since last year! :shock:
Hope the weather evens out. Those of you needing rain gets it & those of you flooding, gets sunshine.

I wish i got rain like most of you folks, California is normally dry from end of May till end of October. No rain in that time frame.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":hb5psxo2 said:
V - we lived in Louisburg, Ks - just South out of Overland Park, Ks. (Rt 69)
Jeanne, I live in Liveral , Ks the very SW corner of the state. Hubby called it the sandbox of the USA. It was dry during a torential rain :lol2:
Valerie