difference red angus/angus

Help Support CattleToday:

glover36

Reaction score
i am wondering is there any substancial difference between black and red angus i no that red angus are meant for first calf heifers but r they the same size as black

I should let a professional answer this but I'm gonna anyway.

I lean toward the red angus. More thickness, more maternal and better carcass traits. But then again, I prefer the red color too.
Also more bone and a slightly bigger foot to carry the extra weight. They seem to do a little better on fescue too.
But like I said, I'm no professional. Just my opinions here.

From every animal I've interacted with, the main thing I've noticed that is different is the color.

(pauses for laughter to subside)

Honestly, they're about the same from my experiences. Sure, I prefer the reds to the regulars, and it seems to me that the reds tend to fill out faster, but the last one could just be different production practices.

Brace yourself for the technical answers. I'm sure they're a coming... :help: ;-)

I think reds were just a recesive gean showing up and then bred for. In America they are two seperate breeds as far as associations. I think it is a matter of opinion on which is better. I like the blk and if you will check out this same site you will see that the blk Angus is the breed that every year registers the most cattle.(of any purebred) So I would say they are the more popular of the two also. Nothing against reds. I don't really hear much about them. Have seen advertisements to cross them with Herefords. They are pretty.

Scotty

Scotty":1a5olv52 said:
I think reds were just a recesive gean showing up and then bred for. In America they are two seperate breeds as far as associations. I think it is a matter of opinion on which is better. I like the blk and if you will check out this same site you will see that the blk Angus is the breed that every year registers the most cattle.(of any purebred) So I would say they are the more popular of the two also. Nothing against reds. I don't really hear much about them. Have seen advertisements to cross them with Herefords. They are pretty.

Scotty

Correct. The gene pool has differed from the blk Angus long enough that they're different, but the primary difference is color. And that to register them you have to have weaning weights.

dun

They have been seperate long enough to notice a few small differences. I think the reds are a little more moderate in general. I think they are a little more concentrated on muscle. I think the blacks marble a little better.

Chuckie":ike74g9o said:
Oprah said that lighter colors make you look larger.

lol chuckie. I actually like the black angus better but that is probably colour. I like the way the black comes up at sales and show rings. I show for a red angus stud but Ive also had alot to do with blacks and black X-breds. The red in angus's was originally a mutation. thats not a bad thing tho.

I'm no expert or guru but from what I've ben told the only difference is the color...our bull is a red angus, but then we like them long, low and wide....Susie says we don't want to grow soup bones.....DMc

certherfbeef":1p4vlw43 said:

I lean toward the red angus. More thickness, more maternal and better carcass traits. But then again, I prefer the red color too.
Also more bone and a slightly bigger foot to carry the extra weight. They seem to do a little better on fescue too.
You realize it's possible that some day you may be raising Red and Blk. Angus besides the Herefords. :D :lol:

la4angus":3123teu9 said:
certherfbeef":3123teu9 said:

You realize it's possible that some day you may be raising Red and Blk. Angus besides the Herefords. :D :lol:

LA, the black influence in the commercial herd is from the maine. No black angus put there on purpose by me.

glover36":uzfjp7c6 said:
i am wondering is there any substancial difference between black and red angus i no that red angus are meant for first calf heifers but r they the same size as black
- - -Slam that Pandora's Box Lid shut - quick - before we lurch into another BREED WAR! I repeat what has been said over and over before - there are greater differences WITHIN breeds than there are between DESIRABLE individuals of DIFFERENT breeds!! :shock: Sound familiar?? :lol: glover36 - check out the Breed Associations on the Cattle Today menu and read BOTH Black Angus and Red Angus information pages. And, as with ANY breed, know what your priorities are (in other words - why you are breeding them) - Replacement Heifers, Terminal or Feed Lot calves, or a Registered Program. And LEARN to SEE what you are looking at when you analyze an animal, and KNOW what you SEE. (and learn about - -EPD's!)

DOC HARRIS

certherfbeef":24arex6e said:
la4angus":24arex6e said:
certherfbeef":24arex6e said:

LA, the black influence in the commercial herd is from the maine. No black angus put there on purpose by me.

Where did the maines get their blk. Were they not red with white stockings. Also to say that reds are better becasue they are longer and deeper and more muscled. :shock: No blk ones the same whay. I have looked at plenty of reds. Most i haveseen are good cattle. Never seen near the number of specemens that compair to the blks.

Scotty

DOC HARRIS- there are greater differences WITHIN breeds than there are between DESIRABLE individuals of DIFFERENT breeds!! DOC HARRIS[/quote said:
I agree Doc.

I have noticed a few differences. First, the blacks have a poorer disposition than the reds. Secondly, the reds seems to be a little easier fleshing and have a little more growth and muscle. Third, I have noticed that the blacks have better udders than the reds.

Latest posts