Difference between red and black angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1":2u8gcbwo said:
I wonder if Texas has the most cattle of all the states, registered or not?

In terms of beef cattle, Texas is 1st. At worst 2nd, but i know it was 1st.

Anguscattle":1healmj6 said:
Its hard to argue with the fact that Texas ranks in the top of angus registries throughout the US. which totally contradicts your argument that they cant make it here. But to question intelligence? Id have to question yours. Your claims have been pretty far out there for someone that doesnt raise these cattle in hot environments. I didnt make it through Grad school being dumb. But hey, if youre gonna cry, ill let you win.

Just for you, All black cattle are inferior and will die in pastures and feedlots at temperatures above 80 degrees. Happy now?

Frankly I don't care how hard you had to work to get through grade school. For the most part I was talking about BLACK cattle in Ks,Neb, and Iowa feedlots, not specifically Angus until you had to start waving the darned AAA flag, and never a word about Texas other than to say that the avg black cow in Texas probably has enuf southern influence to make them a lot more heat tolerant than the avg Angus from anywhere in the USA north of Oklahoma.. What you should have got from those reports if you had actually read them is the two killers in the feedlots are FAT and BLACK. The word Angus is not mentioned.

BTW if it will make you feel better you can try to say some real stupid things about raising cattle at high altitude. The I will post some scientific studies about that, so that you can misunderstand those also!

Then I can say really smart scientific things to you like "I know folks all over Colorado that don't believe that"........OK now you win :cowboy:

We now have the greatest defender of angus cattle since Frankie! Hope this one don't have a key to the locks. Threeway you should know better than try and beat up them angus cows.

Red Bull Breeder":2gf3shdw said:
We now have the greatest defender of angus cattle since Frankie! Hope this one don't have a key to the locks. Threeway you should know better than try and beat up them angus cows.

Stupid part is I really wasn't! What so I know thou. I never made it through grade school!

The problem is, most folks think that if a person raises angus then they think all other cattle are inferior. Ive noticed that a lot throughout my ventures. If youve read all of my post on the subject you will find that I acknowledge other breeds and crosses. And I in no way claim that angus cattle are superior. I think they have a lot to offer, as do other breeds and crosses. I didnt join this site to be an angus defender, but do feel the need to correct some misinformed comments about the breed. At the end of the day, im happy with what I raise, both registered and commercial. I know what works and sells in my area and thats all that really matters. If I was "waving the AAA flag" it wasnt intentional, only to prove my point that they do fairly well here in Texas. As I said before, its hard to argue with numbers.

I will ignore your comments about my intelligence and the immature comments about my education. I think that says a lot for a persons moral character, to make these accusations about a person you dont even know. But I understand some people go to extreme measures to win an argument. If I offended you, I apologize, no hard feelings on my end.

As far as high altitude cattle, I'll leave that up to you, as I dont have much experience on that topic. I try not to comment on things I know little about.

Anguscattle":dvx3ymgj said:
LRTX1":dvx3ymgj said:

It's 1st. There is more cattle in Texas than all of Canada combined!

Massey135":3afm0u5y said:
Anguscattle":3afm0u5y said:
LRTX1":3afm0u5y said:

It's 1st. There is more cattle in Texas than all of Canada combined!

I hardly think the canadians combine cattle, they harvest them one by one just like texans! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Anguscattle":3hpb4apn said:
Its hard to argue with the fact that Texas ranks in the top of angus registries throughout the US. which totally contradicts your argument that they cant make it here. But to question intelligence? Id have to question yours. Your claims have been pretty far out there for someone that doesnt raise these cattle in hot environments. I didnt make it through Grad school being dumb. But hey, if youre gonna cry, ill let you win.

Just for you, All black cattle are inferior and will die in pastures and feedlots at temperatures above 80 degrees. Happy now?

It is true that black cattle can survive in hot climates. You would think cattlemen would have a higher goal than just keeping their cattle alive. Profits require more than that. Which is why this guy wrote about dealing with heat stress to increase profits. Note that being black is on the list of factors increasing heat stress. http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

Cattle can have all sorts of defects and still live. They can have bad feet, udders, poor growth, bad toplines, no muscle, etc, etc. Why do we bother selecting against such things when it doesn't kill them?

The chemistry of black things makes them absorb radiation. Since this includes light, they appear black. And in sunlight, they absorb solar radiation, which makes them hot. This is basic physics that is not debatable. Yes, there are white polar bears, and dark animals in Africa, but there are other factors to consider, like camoflauge.

I've seen studies measuring the increased rectal temperatures of black cattle. Yes, this won't usually kill them. But in extreme circumstances it can put them over the edge. It is added heat, which requires energy to dissipate. Cattle blow off heat with increased respiration, which burns calories. They also eat less. My point has been, if all else is pretty equal, why choose a color which increases the stress, and reduces profits?

You may have missed this thread. 612 dead feedlot steers from heat. In blacks, 25.6% mortality rate, in other colors, 8.7%.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74844

You are a idiot to have any color cow stand in the sun all day. IBRN is a jackass, he might of done it just for the money or the time off or both.
I'am no dogooder but cows need to be treated with common sense, whether it's blizzards or blazing sun they need protection.

So why other colored steers die in feedlot along with the black steers? If other colored steers can die in feedlots just like blacks then the point of blacks being heat intolerant is invaid. I've seen lot of cattle are dying out in hot weather and they are not black.

Taurus,

I hate to tell you, but youre fighting a losing battle. Us folks that raise blacks in hot environments know that this issue of blacks and heat is being blown out of perspective. We know that it isnt near as big of a problem as some people are making it out to be. I say just let them believe that all black cattle will die under high temps.

Red or black angus, have the same differences that the bay & chestnut horses of the same breed have!!!, just that the red's have a much lesser "genetic pool" than the blacks!!!, they used to be what those "white born" boxer puppies - who where killed - where to that dog breed (a sort of a by-product), and somebody started to breed them with great success!!!...

puebloeden":26ixvuhj said:
Red or black angus, have the same differences that the bay & chestnut horses of the same breed have!!!, just that the red's have a much lesser "genetic pool" than the blacks!!!, they used to be what those "white born" boxer puppies - who where killed - where to that dog breed (a sort of a by-product), and somebody started to breed them with great success!!!...

You raise black angus? The thread has been lead far astray; I'll agree that there is a smaller gene pool within the breed, but that doesn't mean they lack quality.

Never said they lacked quality!!!, in South America the're the same breed, same herd-book, shown & commercialized as one breed!!!, yes, we breed blacks, have a red every now & then!!!, currently using all SAV genetics over OCC & tracing to Nichols cows, and very, very satisfied!!!...

puebloeden":3b5gx5js said:
Never said they lacked quality!!!, in South America the're the same breed, same herd-book, shown & commercialized as one breed!!!, yes, we breed blacks, have a red every now & then!!!, currently using all SAV genetics over OCC & tracing to Nichols cows, and very, very satisfied!!!...

never insinuated that you said that there weren't quality animals within the red angus breed. In the U.S. they have been separate associations since 54 and selected against for many years before that.

You don't have to use all the exclamation points either, no one is attacking you; at least I'm not.

You'll have to post pictures of those SAV sired calves, how does that work over OCC cattle? Fire and Ice mating?

puebloeden":1j5edslx said:

Are you from South America?

Latest posts