Difference between 540 & 1000 PTO???

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
Any pro's/con's to one over the other? I notice most tractors under 80-90hp seem to typically have 540 pto's where most above 90hp. have 1000 pto's. What are the major differences between the two? Also, do they make an adapter to be able to use a 1000pto implement on a 540 machine or vise versa?

SSS Angus said:
Any pro's/con's to one over the other? I notice most tractors under 80-90hp seem to typically have 540 pto's where most above 90hp. have 1000 pto's. What are the major differences between the two? Also, do they make an adapter to be able to use a 1000pto implement on a 540 machine or vise versa?[/quote the only diff is the 549 turns 540rpms a min .where the 1000 turns a 1000rpms .

Any bearing or gear will only last so many "turns of the shaft".

When a PTO shaft is turning 540, the ratio must be adjusted (geared up or down) to meet the needs of the implement, which is usually higher RPM's than that.

Since 1000 RPM's is almost double that of 540, there is less "Gearing Up" designed in the implement to do the job required. There is always a trade-off to mechanical advantage.

The opposite is true of the tractor PTO system. There is less "Gearing Down", which should put less stress on the internal gear reduction system.

Larger implements usually require 1000 RPM's which use less "turns of the shaft", or gear, if you will.

There is less Horsepower Loss with less manipulations of the RPM's from the engine to the final drive.

Does this make any sense?

buckwheat_87":23riaha4 said:
Also, do they make an adapter to be able to use a 1000pto implement on a 540 machine or vise versa?

Yes they make them both ways.

Correct. I use an adapter that allows my tractor to run in the 1000 RPM mode while operating a 540 implement fairly frequently.

This is only to allow the tractor to turn less engine RPM's and save fuel.

I can't think of a situation where operating a tractor in the 540 RPM mode would be sufficient to operate a 1000 RPM implement, but I'm sure there are some.

So if your running a 1000rpm implement on a 540 tractor it's working the tractor considerably harder? The reason I ask is because we have a 95hp Kubota that has a 540pto and most of the 11'+ mower conditioners I see are 1000rpm implements.

SSS Angus":13nkoa25 said:
So if your running a 1000rpm implement on a 540 tractor it's working the tractor considerably harder? The reason I ask is because we have a 95hp Kubota that has a 540pto and most of the 11'+ mower conditioners I see are 1000rpm implements.

If you hook a 1000 RPM mower conditioner to a 540 RPM tractor, the mower is going to turn at approximately 1/2 the speed it was intended to spin at. You won't be happy with the results.

I'm not aware of a single mower conditioner (except maybe newer discbines) that weren't available with either 540 or 1000 RPM drives. Before you buy a 1000 RPM mower, check with the manufacturer to find out how much it will cost to change it over to 540.

Next question, are you sure your Kubota isn't interchangeable? I haven't seen many 95 HP tractors that didn't have both PTOs on them just by changing shafts.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1s23kp5k said:
SSS Angus":1s23kp5k said:

If you hook a 1000 RPM mower conditioner to a 540 RPM tractor, the mower is going to turn at approximately 1/2 the speed it was intended to spin at. You won't be happy with the results.

I'm not aware of a single mower conditioner (except maybe newer discbines) that weren't available with either 540 or 1000 RPM drives. Before you buy a 1000 RPM mower, check with the manufacturer to find out how much it will cost to change it over to 540.

Next question, are you sure your Kubota isn't interchangeable? I haven't seen many 95 HP tractors that didn't have both PTOs on them just by changing shafts.

Rod

Rod,

When we purchased the tractor new we could have had it optioned out with a 540/1000 pto (pull a clip pull out the shaft and flip it around then reinstall) but unfortunately we weren't aware of it at the time. I have been meaning to call up Kubota and see if it's still possible to have that option added to the tractor. The mower conditioners we've been looking at are newer JD disc bines.

SSS Angus":22o5r0ip said:
When we purchased the tractor new we could have had it optioned out with a 540/1000 pto (pull a clip pull out the shaft and flip it around then reinstall) but unfortunately we weren't aware of it at the time. I have been meaning to call up Kubota and see if it's still possible to have that option added to the tractor. The mower conditioners we've been looking at are newer JD disc bines.

I'd give them a call for sure and also ask a JD rep. It would be a real boner move on JD's part not to offer a 540 RPM mower. Goofing around with PTO adapters is a real hokey way to change PTO speeds. Adding another 6 inches of adapter, then hanging a heavy hydraulic pump off it is just asking for blown PTO bearings.

Rod

Dont know how wide you are looking at for a mower just make sure you have enough hiorsepower. we have a JD 956 disc moco 15ft and use a 120 hp tractor. I hope you have some variation of a power shift transmission. You want to be able to slow down before you come to a corner with out losing rpm's. If you dont slow down travel speed the moco can be hard on tractor tires as it will push tractor sideways as you turn. The moco is one heavy beast but does a great job.

Jeff

All Kubota tractors are offered a dual PTO kit on anything over 85 horse. It is only a matter of 11 bolts to change to the kit and then it's just a matter of changing the shaft from there on out depending on what you need. It is a very simple change.

If my math is correct the difference is 460 revolutions.....This thread started a few years ago so somethings may have changed since then....

I have a M&W batwing mower that has 21 spline pto shafts coming out of the center gearbox and 21 spline shafts coming out of the wing gearboxes. If I put an adapter on each shaft....21 spline x 6 spline both are 1 3/8's...will that change my shaft speed and ultimately the gearbox speed or will it stay the same.
21 spline slip clutches and shafts are very expensive and getting harder to find. The reason I am asking is the next time I have to replace a shaft or clutch......just convert to 6 spline which is cheaper.

Correct. I use an adapter that allows my tractor to run in the 1000 RPM mode while operating a 540 implement fairly frequently.

This is only to allow the tractor to turn less engine RPM's and save fuel.

I can't think of a situation where operating a tractor in the 540 RPM mode would be sufficient to operate a 1000 RPM implement, but I'm sure there are some.
I have Kubota 9960 with pto 540 I have a spray rig pump need 1000 pto can you suggest which adopter to use to change pto speed my email [email protected]

The larger HP tractors use 1000 rpm because of the higher torque output. The faster the shaft is spinning, the easier it is on the PTO shaft going to the implement. The slower it turns, the harder the torque is on the shaft. So they can get a more durable driveline with smaller diameter shaft than would be required for the same torque at a slower RPM.

Sounds like the Kubota 540/1000 system is the same as what my Massey's have. Just have to change the output shaft at the back of the tractor... but the 1000 shaft DOES engage a different drive sprocket internally than the 540 shaft does. And it SHOULD be a simple switch, that can be done anytime. They don't build them as either 540 or 1000, they all have the drive sprockets for both inside... the difference is which shaft you ordered with the tractor. If you ask me, the dealer should have automatically just included both shafts with the tractor. So you just need to get the other shaft from your dealer... should cost about $100.... so it'll probably cost about $500! :) Should have made him throw in both shafts on the deal when you bought it! Next time, right?

If my math is correct the difference is 460 revolutions.....This thread started a few years ago so somethings may have changed since then....
yup - this comment is 3 yrs old and original posting 13 yrs ago.

540 pto will run machine designed for 1000 pto at 54% capacity
so for best mowing drive slower and... don't use fertilizers :) lol

True that it will only be spinning at 54%... but the DRIVELINE (PTO shaft of the implement) isn't designed to provide the torque required at only 54% of the rpm, so if you load the machine "to capacity"... even just capacity at 54% of 1000 rpm capacity, you'll end up over taxing your driveline, unless you underpower the unit. It's not just a matter of "going slower" or that it can't take in and process as much material.

So in the end, if you power a 540 rpm designed machine with a 1000 rpm pto, you can slow down your throttle to about half, and it'll be just fine. But the other way around (drive a 1000 PTO designed machine with the shaft only turning at 540), with the same amount of HP, and you'll eventually run into trouble with the driveline. Probably twist it off, or take out u joints.

Yup, noticed that this post was originally "old"... but sandhufarms restarted it.

Latest posts