Difference between 0 Grease and 00 Grease

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two. I am going to use some on a Rotary Cutter gear box because I am afraid I may have slightly damaged the seal. I have some JD Cornhead grease to put in but it is in a tube and it appears that 0 grease and and 00 grease comes in a handy squeeze bottle. It appears that Cornhead Grease is 0 and I am afraid I might only be able to find 00 grease. I really need to get busy because the Cutter has been down all year and I have a lot of shredding to do.

Grease thickness table

NLGI# Penetration Consistency Food Analogy
000 445 - 475 Fluid Cooking Oil
00 400 - 430 Semi-Fluid Applesauce
0 355 - 385 Very Soft Brown Mustard
1 310 - 340 Soft Tomato Paste
2 265 - 295 "Normal" Grease Peanut Butter
3 220 - 250 Firm Veg. Shortening
4 175 - 205 Very Firm Frozen Yogurt
5 130 - 160 Hard Smooth Paté
6 85 - 115 Very Hard Cheddar Cheese

Both of those would be pretty thin as 1 or 2 or 3 would probably be better and stay in the gear box longer, but any grease is better than none. Also as you run the rotary cutter check the gear boxes temperature with an infrared thermometer. They should stay about the same and probably not get over 120-130 degrees if lubrication is in them.

jltrent said:
Grease thickness table

Both of those would be pretty thin as 1 or 2 or 3 would probably be better and stay in the gear box longer, but any grease is better than none. Also as you run the rotary cutter check the gear boxes temperature with an infrared thermometer. They should stay about the same and probably not get over 120-130 degrees if lubrication is in them.

So I should fill the gearbox with Tomato Paste or Peanut Butter?
I will report back! ;-)

Kidding aside, normally it would be filled with 90w gear oil.

jltrent said:
Grease thickness table

Mr. Trent your knowledge of saws and other stuff never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for your input.

sstterry said:
jltrent said:
Grease thickness table

I will report back! ;-)

I had an old Bush Hog I used for years with a bad seal. Putting 90w or thin grease in it did not stay long. When I used it for several hours I put a tube of No. 2 grease (peanut butter...lol) in and that would last longer, but I would say it pretty much had no seal left and was not worth it to fix. Your seal maybe in good shape.

jltrent said:
I had an old Bush Hog I used for years with a bad seal. Putting 90w or thin grease in it did not stay long. When I used it for several hours I put a tube of No. 2 grease (peanut butter...lol) in and that would last longer, but I would say it pretty much had no seal left and was not worth it to fix. Your seal maybe in good shape.

The seal does not look that bad, but there was oil on that stump jumper when I removed it. That is why I think it is damaged. But it had sat for a year.

sstterry said:
Brute 23 said:
sstterry said:
The problem with thinner is that it will leak out too fast.

Better than not getting in the places it needs to be.

JD Cornhead grease liquifies when it gets up to temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zNhli-J0Gk

No experience with it. Just passing along what I was told and has worked for me.

In all honesty, I'd fix the seal and put the right stuff in and be done. The right way rarely does me wrong.

Brute 23 said:
sstterry said:
Brute 23 said:
Better than not getting in the places it needs to be.

JD Cornhead grease liquifies when it gets up to temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zNhli-J0Gk

No experience with it. Just passing along what I was told and has worked for me.

In all honesty, I'd fix the seal and put the right stuff in and be done. The right way rarely does me wrong.

Exactly right. Especially if you already have the stump jumper pulled.

kenny thomas said:
He really lives in the city and has never seen a farm. Lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: In the basement with sweatpants,Converse and Rock concert T shirt ? :)

In reality,knows too much stuff only a person who has actually done things would.Things that aren't in the operator's manual.

Personally,I've learned from both of you," slightly much older and wiser one" :D

jltrent said:
sstterry said:
jltrent said:
Grease thickness table

I will report back! ;-)

Didn't one of the major hay equipment makers kinda give up and just tell people to run grease in the gear box of their rakes? Worked for me.I do seem to remember them recommending to use a plug with some sort of pressure relief,though.

JW IN VA said:
kenny thomas said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: In the basement with sweatpants,Converse and Rock concert T shirt ? :)

In reality,knows too much stuff only a person who has actually done things would.Things that aren't in the operator's manual.

Personally,I've learned from both of you," slightly much older and wiser one" :D

If I had ever known 10% of what John knows I would have forgotten it.

kenny thomas said:
JW IN VA said:
kenny thomas said:

If I had ever known 10% of what John knows I would have forgotten it.

Kenny, I went to HS with your brother as he is the same age as I. Of all the schooling, training, classes, I have had he might have been the smartest of all of them. Richard usually finished tests in about half time as everybody else, never studied, knew every answer, teachers pick him to help others, and was the top of the class. The guy was smart. I always had you figured the same.

Latest posts