Diesel Trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I test drove a Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Reg. Cab today with the Duramax diesel. I really liked it. Im looking to buy a new truck soon and dont know which of the three I want. Ford Dodge or GM(Chevy,GMC)? All my buddies drive Ford Diesels, and some drive Dodge. They all rag on Chevy's calling them Dirtymaxes!! I myself dont care, I have never been pro towards any car manufactuer. To me they are all trucks. I would like some input on the Ford, Dodge and GM diesels and what everyone owns and how hey like them and compare.

i really liked my exgirlfriends 350. but if i were you i'd wait and see what the next years models are like. i suspect we will be seeing a lot of changes in the fuel efficiencies in the near future.

A buddy of mine delivers trucks to Dealers, from the railhead, and he says when he binds down a load, the toughest trucks are Fords.He claims the Chevys and Dodges, are hard to open a door on when he goes to unload, with the chain dogs on em'.He says the Ford frame is superior. I really like my Dodge 3500 Flatbed 4x4. Good milage, and will pull like a Mule.

My main complaint with chevy is the inability to turn them around in less then 5 acres. Poorest turning trucks in the world, that in itself makes it harder to work them or back them into tighter quarters.

dun

I run chevrolet trucks myself. My newest is a 04 Silverado 3500 reg. cab dually with Duramax/Allison & a steel flatbed.
I will have to say that I have been impressed by this truck. The Duramax/Allison is a good combo for pulling gooseneck trailers.

That is exactly what I test drove yesterday, except for being a flatbed. I really liked it, it was also an 04'. It only has 8,000 miles on it. They are asking $32k. This is to steep for me for only a reg. cab. Crew cab I would buy.

I would just have a problem driving a truck with an Isusu motor. The max's take a lot of grief over this.

Before Chevrolet came out with the Duramax's I asked a diesel mechanic, which was better Ford or Dodge? He told me that the Dodges are good trucks for the average man, but if you are going to really use them and put them to work then it's Ford all the way. By the way he was driving a little Toyota, so it's not like he was playing favorites.

He did say the Fords are generally more expensive to work on but they will also beat the pants off a Dodge any day of the week.

He also said for most people the Dodge has more than enough stuff to keep them happy, in the end he basically said depends on what your doing with it.

My advice is to go with a 4 wheel drive in whichever one you choose.

I have done my own head to head comparison: Several months back hauling cattle from a rented place for my father in law. One of my buddies owns an 05 Ford F350, single wheel, club cab, short bed, 4x4, 6.0L, with 3.73 gears and a six speed. I own a 05 Dodge 3500 single wheel, crew cab, short bed, 4x4, 5.9L Cummins with 3.73 gears and six speed. Identical trucks besides the motor, same sized tires and everything. We were both pulling 20 ft goosenecks with 9 cows on each. There is a short section of divided highway with a slight incline on our haul and we decided to see who's truck had more guts. We discussed it before we left the farm, and when we came to the divided section of highway we were both in 5th gear and he pulled up next to me. He then motioned to start, and we both punched it. By the time we got to the end of the grade, about 3/4 of a mile, the back of my trailer was about 30 ft in front of his front bumper.

I don't know if there is a lot of differences in the way the Fords or Dodges are put together, but my Dodge will do anything that I am asking. Also, I can and have driven it for 5 straight hours and gotten out feeling good. Too each his own as far as comfort goes. I do get a laugh though when I hear people talk about how "The new 6.0L Fords will walk all over the Dodges". I've already proven to myself, that it ain't true.

My comments about Ford over Dodge was more of a comparison of durabilty. I don't doubt that your Dodge (El Putzo) outdid your friends Ford, in response to that I know alot can be done to "turn up" a diesel, not saying yours is, but I have freinds that have chips in theirs that make them super quick, I am just saying I have been told a Ford will walk over Dodge in the long run. Just what I have heard.

I have always prefered Fords, thats what I have at home,, but I am currently driving a Dodge diesel company truck and I really like it. I think prices would be the deciding factor for me right now.

Sorry J, not meaning to sound like I was arguing with you. Just wanted to let you know about my real world experiences as opposed to repeating a bunch of "he said, she said" stuff. I'm not particularly brand loyal myself, on anything, be it vehicles, machinery or whatever. I do however believe that you get what you pay for.

Just as a side note, my truck is not "chipped" but I did get rid of that darn kitty and put a better muffler on. :D You just can't beat that "big rig" sound you can only get from a straight six.

El_Putzo":31umvx52 said:
Sorry J, not meaning to sound like I was arguing with you. Just wanted to let you know about my real world experiences as opposed to repeating a bunch of "he said, she said" stuff. I'm not particularly brand loyal myself, on anything, be it vehicles, machinery or whatever. I do however believe that you get what you pay for.

Just as a side note, my truck is not "chipped" but I did get rid of that darn kitty and put a better muffler on. :D You just can't beat that "big rig" sound you can only get from a straight six.

I have to agree with on all of that, I too wasn't questioning your test between the two, after driving the Dodge company truck I have to say it will run away from my Ford which is older, although I haven't pulled anything yet with the Dodge.

i'm only going to add that our F-350 '95 7.3L has 225,000 miles on it and still runs really good. the only complaint i have is that the auto tranies suck. if you're gonna get a pickup, do it right and get a standard. good luck with your decision

Thanks for the info. I will more than likey just buy the truck on how good of deal I can get no matter what the brand. Im like most of you I am not "Pro" any manufacturer. I know that if I did get a Chevy I would never hear the end of it from my buddies. They would probably tell me how good they like it to my face but behind my back they would rag it...lol. Chevys do seem to be higher, and I only like the newer bodie styles. I like the older dodge style and Ford has had the same body style for the last eight years so I should be able to find an older model truck that I like for a reasonable price somewhere. I have pateince , becasue if I goona spend some money on a truck I want to get what I want. I would like to have a flatbed.

CopeMan":1tmrnf4v said:
Thanks for the info. I will more than likey just buy the truck on how good of deal I can get no matter what the brand. Im like most of you I am not "Pro" any manufacturer. I know that if I did get a Chevy I would never hear the end of it from my buddies. They would probably tell me how good they like it to my face but behind my back they would rag it...lol. Chevys do seem to be higher, and I only like the newer bodie styles. I like the older dodge style and Ford has had the same body style for the last eight years so I should be able to find an older model truck that I like for a reasonable price somewhere. I have pateince , becasue if I goona spend some money on a truck I want to get what I want. I would like to have a flatbed.

Hey Cope, stay away from the 6 liter 03 Ford. You will probably find some good deals on 03 Fords. Some are buy backs and some they just couldn't fix. Anything (Ford) prior to 03 will have the 7.3L unless you go way back. 7.3L is one tough motor.
The 04 and up Fords are pretty good and it's easy to get 400HP out of them if needed but I haven't found it necessary.
Good luck with whatever you get. Buying cars/trucks these days is a crap shoot.

You want reliable....nobody can touch the 5.9 Cummins....they'll go forever and a day and will definately outlast the competition!

cowsense":11foxxz6 said:
You want reliable....nobody can touch the 5.9 Cummins....they'll go forever and a day and will definately outlast the competition!

Prove it!

So how does that PROVE your statment?nobody can touch the 5.9 Cummins....they'll go forever and a day and will definately outlast the competition!

I have HEARD the same thing from Duramax boys and the PowerStroke guys also. I have witnessed over a million miles on a PowerStroke. I haven't personally seen a Duramax with those miles yet. I have also seen a PowerStroke blown at 6K miles and a Cummins blown at 8K. Don't make one better than the other. Just means there are some good ones and some bad ones. ;-)

flaboy+":2zftldxz said:
CopeMan":2zftldxz said:

Hey Cope, stay away from the 6 liter 03 Ford. You will probably find some good deals on 03 Fords. Some are buy backs and some they just couldn't fix. .

I got to agree on the 2003,s We got rid of ours.

cowboy13":2ncatke3 said:
You never know about the trucks. I just wouldnt go anywhere near a Duramax, I have heard too many horror stories.

One things for sure..nobody makes a perfect truck

Latest posts