Diesel Trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

norriscathy":3risuvan said:
I shall now comit heresy!!!!!! Recently bought an '05 Ford "heavy" F250 with a V10 and auto. Because of the drought had to haul hay almost 300 miles though the Arkansas mountains. With 15 rolls of hay (4x6 approx 1000#) on an 8000# 32 foot trailer I was passing 18 wheelers going up hill and on the flat and level the truck will run 70 mph at only 2300 rpms. True, I only got 6 mpg when fully loaded but on 200 mile runs with only a light load in the bed I'm getting almost 16 mpg. With a diesel engine costing 5 to 6 thousand more and diesel fuel 50 cents a gallon higher than gas; WHY DIESEL????

I agree Cathy everbody wants a big bad diesel. We are paying 30 cents above gasoline for road diesel here. I do get about 14 mpg though but my diesel is a dog and I'm sure it won't keep up with your v10. No matter I'ma slowpoke anyway. What is handy about a diesel is you can run farm fuel in them. If you're not skeered of getting caught.
bif

Bif, Son you've lost your mind. I know two "Big Dawgs" here that got caught running Farm Diesel in Trucks. With the fines they got, you could sure buy a heck of a lot of road Diesel.
Plus, if you do run off road Diesel, it'll take quite a few tanks of road fuel to wash out that dye. ;-)

Actually talk to one fella that was very upset with his $10,000 fine. They just wouldn't believe him when he told them he one tank of off road and one tank of road fuel, and he only used the dyed fuel when he had his truck in the hay fields! True story!!

norriscathy":6u3pnkv3 said:
Actually talk to one fella that was very upset with his $10,000 fine. They just wouldn't believe him when he told them he one tank of off road and one tank of road fuel, and he only used the dyed fuel when he had his truck in the hay fields! True story!!
I'm sure they have heard every story in the world.

norriscathy":3oxtif74 said:
I shall now comit heresy!!!!!! Recently bought an '05 Ford "heavy" F250 with a V10 and auto. Because of the drought had to haul hay almost 300 miles though the Arkansas mountains. With 15 rolls of hay (4x6 approx 1000#) on an 8000# 32 foot trailer I was passing 18 wheelers going up hill and on the flat and level the truck will run 70 mph at only 2300 rpms. True, I only got 6 mpg when fully loaded but on 200 mile runs with only a light load in the bed I'm getting almost 16 mpg. With a diesel engine costing 5 to 6 thousand more and diesel fuel 50 cents a gallon higher than gas; WHY DIESEL????

It still amazes me the people on this board can understand epd's tear a tractor apart but have no concept of fuel.
Diesel is still cheaper than gasoline a gallon of gasoline weighs 6 pounds a gallon of diesel 7.25 to 7.5. Gasoline at 2.11 a gallon divided by 6 equals 35.1 cents a pound Diesel here is 2.37 divided by 7.25 equals 32 cents per pound. A pound of hydrocarbon has 20,000 btu's which is energy to push your vehicle down the road. It doesn't matter if you buy gas or diesel it takes an equal amount of energy (pounds) to move x pounds down the road. A gallon of gasoline has 120.000 btus a gallon of diesel 145,000 btus.

BTUs and pounds are all well and good, but when I'm getting 12 mpg in a diesel and I got 16 mog with gas, kind of makes the lbs and BTUs irrelevant. It's sold by the gallon and that's how mileage is calculated.

dun

Crowderfarms":256aeabp said:
Bif, Son you've lost your mind. I know two "Big Dawgs" here that got caught running Farm Diesel in Trucks. With the fines they got, you could sure buy a heck of a lot of road Diesel.
Plus, if you do run off road Diesel, it'll take quite a few tanks of road fuel to wash out that dye. ;-)

I ain't suggesting anybody do it .. Know this one feller that even runs it in his semi, he's been caught several times and he still does it.! Always hires him an attorney don't really know how he comes out in the long run.
Not me I'm afeared of getting caught!
bif

dun":3dp4ijsk said:
BTUs and pounds are all well and good, but when I'm getting 12 mpg in a diesel and I got 16 mog with gas, kind of makes the lbs and BTUs irrelevant. It's sold by the gallon and that's how mileage is calculated.

dun

Dun you might know cattle but you don't know cow crap from wild honey when it comes to energy. It is physical impossible to take 2 identical trucks same transmission same rear end and get less miles to gallon with diesel over gasoline. Stick to something you think you know about.

Don't believe BTU's and cost per pound! Just to give you a break; let's assume my gas burner only gets 14 mph while your diesel easily turns in 18 mph. Here gas is 2.08 while diesel is 2.49 (I think prices vary from block to block!) At 2.49 per gallon you are spending only 14 cents per mile while iI am spending 15 cents with 2.08 gasoline. Your beating me by 1 cent per mile and it will only take you 600,000 miles to pay for that extra $6,000 engine!

norriscathy":20nzefey said:
Don't believe BTU's and cost per pound! Just to give you a break; let's assume my gas burner only gets 14 mph while your diesel easily turns in 18 mph. Here gas is 2.08 while diesel is 2.49 (I think prices vary from block to block!) At 2.49 per gallon you are spending only 14 cents per mile while iI am spending 15 cents with 2.08 gasoline. Your beating me by 1 cent per mile and it will only take you 600,000 miles to pay for that extra $6,000 engine!
That Diesel will outpull a Gas Burner, and with routine maintainance, will oulast the gas burner.Plus, if you go to resell the truck, it will generally have better resale value.

We where 35 to 40 mph pulling a 23,000 # load UP an Arkansas mountain and passing diesels along the way with much smaller loads! You must be talking about a Chevy or Ram gas burner. We have the REAL thing; a FORD V10

norriscathy":2lkj77zn said:
We where 35 to 40 mph pulling a 23,000 # load UP an Arkansas mountain and passing diesels along the way with much smaller loads! You must be talking about a Chevy or Ram gas burner. We have the REAL thing; a FORD V10
Just as an example, and I'm not bashing your truck, dont get me wrong, but the Trucks with V-10's have the worst resale value immaginable, at least the one's on Ebay Motors do.I'll keep my Cummins. I pull a 25 ft. Gooseneck loaded with rolls, usually 15 of em' straight up this Mountain here, like a locomotive.I may have a few days where it starts a little slow when it's exceptionally cold, but I really do like my Diesel.

Crowderfarms":p34qo16o said:
norriscathy":p34qo16o said:
That Diesel will outpull a Gas Burner, and with routine maintainance, will oulast the gas burner.Plus, if you go to resell the truck, it will generally have better resale value.

Well this just show ignorace on some people on this board, when you have a fuel expert on here is an opportunity to learn.
I view this as helpful as some of our epd experts like txag or Frankie. If I wanted to really research a breed I would Pm Doc Harris or Parasite.

Campground Cattle":1h6tnu8b said:
dun":1h6tnu8b said:

dun

Dun you might know cattle but you don't know cow crap from wild honey when it comes to energy. It is physical impossible to take 2 identical trucks same transmission same rear end and get less miles to gallon with diesel over gasoline. Stick to something you think you know about.

Very well may be, but the diesel gets worse milieage then my old gas truck did. More engine doesn;t matter if you don;t need the extra power. Day in and day out the gas got better mileage, when pulling a full stock trailer the diesel gets better mileage, but I don;t pull the trailer every trip somewhere.

dun

Crowderfarms":140zvj4o said:
Just as an example, and I'm not bashing your truck, dont get me wrong, but the Trucks with V-10's have the worst resale value immaginable, at least the one's on Ebay Motors do.I'll keep my Cummins. I pull a 25 ft. Gooseneck loaded with rolls, usually 15 of em' straight up this Mountain here, like a locomotive.I may have a few days where it starts a little slow when it's exceptionally cold, but I really do like my Diesel.
I concur once again Crowder.
However we must remember Ford has a Better idea! ;-)
bif

buckaroo_bif":1044valj said:
Crowderfarms":1044valj said:
I concur once again Crowder.
However we must remember Ford has a Better idea! ;-)
bif
I'm not doubting that. I've never driven a V-10 truck before.I have a 91 F250 4x4 that sits a lot w/ a 460 in it. Why eat baloney, when you can have Ribeye's?

I've driven a Ford V 10. Nice truck, just be sure you have your kidney belt strapped on unless you are on a darn good road!

bif

buckaroo_bif":3tku9itm said:
I've driven a Ford V 10. Nice truck, just be sure you have your kidney belt strapped on unless you are on a darn good road!

bif
Is the engine too light, compared to a diesel?Causes a rough ride?

Latest posts