Diesel Trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

i have two fords. the first is a '91 350 dually with a 7.3 regular cab. she's a horse she can pull anything i throw on her back. the other truck i have is a '03 350 dually with a 6.0 of course regular cab. dont get me wrong i love a ford but the 6.0 cant hold a light to a 7.3. i dont know what ford was thinking about taking them out to start with. i know the 6.0 is still bigger than the cummings 5.9. but i still love my 7.3 better than the 6.0.

I would like to have a Cummins, they are an inline 6 the cylinders are much bigger than the 6.0 v8 which gives it more punch I think. I think the Cummins could walk up and leave the 6.0. I was in town the other day and drove an 06 dodge ram cummins 3500 dually 4x4 auto 610 ft lbs. torque and 352 Hp. I have never cared for Dodges but couldn't resist to try one out since everyone "loves" em! :roll:

From the stoplight going out of Enid west on the 4 lane I roasted the duals and was doing all of 90 before I could lookup to see a smokey bear! (guess he was in a hurry he didn't even see me I guess) Scared the sheet out of the city boy sales men in the passenger seat he was clenching his a$$ and holding onto the door! :lol: :lol:

I gotta hand it to Dodge :roll: .........I was impressed... 8)

The 6.0s are doing OK now but when they came out they were a pain!

MY BROTHER IN LAW IS MASTER TECH FOR FORD THEY ALL HAVE PROBLEMS IT IS MECHANICAL. ON THE FORDS THEY DO HAVE THE STRONGEST FRAMES FOR THE TRANS.MAKE IT STANDARD 700 DALLORS FOR CLUTCH ALLMOST 4000 REBUILD AUTO TRANS THE WRIGHT WAY. BE CAREFUL IF U START PUTTING PERFORMANCE CHIPS THERE IS NOT ENOUGH AIR PUT A BIGGER AIR BOX AND FILTER. NOW MY FATHER IN LAW IS A MECH. FOR CHEVY SOME OF THE DURAMAXES HAVE TROULBES BUT AUTO TRANS IS BEST FRAMES ARE WEAK BEHIND CAB AND RIGHT BEHIND LEAF SPINGS DODGE HAS THE BEST MOTOR BUT THE REST OF THE TRUCK CAN GO IN THE TRASH. PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPIONONS ALOT OF IT IS HOW U TAKE CARE AND TREAT THE TRUCK WE HAVE 02 REG CAB DULLY'S WITH STANDARD TRANS POWESTROKE'S AND HYDRA BEDS AND WE WORK THEM HARD AND PULL ALOT OF CATTTLE AND DRIVE THROUGH ALOT OF ROUGH PASTURES. MAYBE THIS CAN HELP U DESIDE.

flaboy+":26c1j9ca said:
I would just have a problem driving a truck with an Isusu motor. The max's take a lot of grief over this.

Well who do you think builds the 6.0 liter Ford? It's a dad gum Mazda! Ain't never been a worse import than a dad gum Mazda!
DAD GUMMIT! :lol:

buckaroo_bif":1kybsen0 said:
flaboy+":1kybsen0 said:
I would just have a problem driving a truck with an Isusu motor. The max's take a lot of grief over this.

Well who do you think builds the 6.0 liter Ford? It's a dad gum Mazda! Ain't never been a worse import than a dad gum Mazda!

Your as full of crap as a Christmas turkey. The Ford PowerStoke is made by International.

Here look - http://www.powerstrokedieselstuff.com/ Get your facts straight DAD GUMMIT!

flaboy+":36tkwvmu said:
buckaroo_bif":36tkwvmu said:
flaboy+":36tkwvmu said:

Your as full of crap as a Christmas turkey. The Ford PowerStoke is made by International.

Here look - http://www.powerstrokedieselstuff.com/ Get your facts straight DAD GUMMIT!

Then why do they have an emblem on the left valve cover that says Mazda? If I can get a good enough photo of one I will take a picture. Might have a lighting problem, it's a cheapy camera. I have just seen too many Brand New 6.0 liters in the shop for bad injectors, computer problems, the infamous Ford electrical connector problems, tranny problems, etc. etc.
bif

Hey if it isnt a Ford it isnt a truck is it. I bleed Ford blue an would have nuthin but a Ford. Too many Ford trucks over the years an have not had a problem with any off them. My luck could be running out you never know. Id get a Ford. Dodge mm well the cummins is alright but the truck its in sure isnt. The build quality on Ford is so much better then Dodge its not even close. A lot off people buy a Dodge for the Cummins but your buying a truck as well to go with it. I currently have a superduty an man if theres a truck better then this its not on the market from what I can see. I ve ridden in them all an would have nothing but a superduty. The interior room an rear vision is second to none. Sorry for my Ford rant here. I justlove em. Ok Dodge guys fire away Im prepared for the onslaught.

I bought an 05 chevy 2500HD 4dr duramax/allison. Most I have pulled was about 8800 pounds, which isn't alot of weight but it didn't even know it was back there. I love the truck and the tranny is awsome, auto down shift when slowing down or going down steep grades when pulling is nice.

I've read stay away from duramaxes on more than one message board because they have "heard to many horror stories about them". I don't care what comes out new, if it is bigger and better than what someone owns then the rumors start flying about dependability. I've had 0 problems with mine and have known others with older ones with 0 problems as well. It's an Izuzu motor alright and they have been making diesels for a very long time. The Allison tranny is what they put for autos in alot of buses and large trucks. Hmmm, don't see a problem in either of these two areas. If you get an 06 Chevy with the Allison tranny you will get a 6 speed instead of the 5 speed.

I read where someone said it takes 5 miles to turn a chevy around in. That is a fact, and it may take 6! Chevy has always required a large place to turn around.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the "big 3" trucks now days. Just pick the one that has the best price tag and the options you want and get it and enjoy! I THINK dodge has the most HP and torque of the 3 now and Chevy is in second place and Ford a close 3rd. Of course this will change shortly I am sure. Maybe someone can provide the stats on the 3 engines.

buckaroo_bif":17xtszjg said:
Then why do they have an emblem on the left valve cover that says Mazda? If I can get a good enough photo of one I will take a picture. Might have a lighting problem, it's a cheapy camera. I have just seen too many Brand New 6.0 liters in the shop for bad injectors, computer problems, the infamous Ford electrical connector problems, tranny problems, etc. etc.
bif

Yeah show me the picture. Mine has Navistar decals stuff everywhere. It is made by International. Just go to their web site. I'm not sure what you were looking at. Maybe it was a Ranger. :lol:

Bad injectors went away in early 03, computer problems were just re-programs, the wiring rubbing on the right side valve cover has also been fixed and those affected were recalled. No tranny problems to speak of. No more than the Allison. Oh, and someone said the Allison down shifts going down hill for braking. So does the Ford.

BTW, Ford owns Mazda and Mazda does make a really good car in my book and no I don't own one.

flaboy+":dfk2ppbg said:
Bad injectors went away in early 03, computer problems were just re-programs, the wiring rubbing on the right side valve cover has also been fixed and those affected were recalled. No tranny problems to speak of. No more than the Allison. Oh, and someone said the Allison down shifts going down hill for braking. So does the Ford.

You'll have to expand the years a bit on the bad injectors. All of 03 and early 04s still had injector problems, according to the warranty claims registered with Wards (industry standard benchmarking company). It appears as though they've cleaned up their act a bit, but time will tell if the HEUI injectors will hold up in the 6.0. In 03 and 04, there were 73 Ford TSBs on the Powerstroke, 6 D-max TSBs, and 0 Cummins TSBs. I don't have any 05 numbers yet.

And someone write down the date, I'm defending a Ford: The Alisson in the Chebbie is nowhere near the transmission of the Ford auto. Again, this is from Wards Automotive. Ford automatics show 15% fewer claims than either Chevy or Dodge.

My own opinion: Its as rngr stated. Any of the big three trucks will likely do you well, with each breed having some advantages. Do yourself a favor and pick your truck by the best dealership in your area.

Rod

Diamonds, my 04 has an 03 engine and came with the updated injectors. C64 I think if memory serves me right were the bad ones. I have no outstanding recalls or TSB's on my truck. There have never been any issued against my VIN. Now my buddy bought one after me from my sticker and he has had two recalls. It is an o4 with an 04 motor.

As far Dodge having 0. Well here are the ones just for the motor.
18-019-02a Revision of Flash Process for New Engine Control Module (ECM) from Cummins
18-020-02 Flash Programming Failure Recovery
18-024-02 Incorrect Dual Wheel Identification in VIN, May Effect Replacement Powertrain Control Module Programming
18-025-02 Erroneous Stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes In The Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM)
18-035-02 Superseded by TSB 18-013-03
18-036-02 Superseded by Recall C17
18-005-03B Flash: Transmission Shift/Speed Control Improvements/Possible MIL Illumination
18-008-03 Co-Pilot Support and Correct Cable Usage
18-013-03 Flash: MIL and/or Engine Throttle Control (ETC) Light Illumination, DTCs, and/or Poor Idle Quality
18-014-03 Flash: MIL Illumination, Erroneous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)
18-015-03 ETC Automatic Flash: Powertrain Control Module Shift Quality Improvements
18-027-03 Flash: No Throttle Response, Lack of Power While Towing and DTC codes P2638/P0700
18-030-03A Generic Cummins Engine Control Module (ECM) Procedure
18-037-03 V8 Flash: MIL Illumination, Erroneous DTC's P0116, P2172, P2173
18-043-03 Superseded by TSB 18-003-04
18-003-04 Flash: Poor A/C Performance, Slow Fuel Gauge Response, and DTC's P0341 and P1757
18-013-04 Flash: Transmission Shift/Speed Control Improvements/Possible MIL Illumination
18-033-04 Generic Cummins Engine Control Module (ECM) Procedure
18-037-04 Flash: Fuel Economy, White Smoke, Console MPG Accuracy
18-017-05 Flash: Long Crank Times in Ambient Temperatures Below Freezing

Sorry Flaboy, should have been more descriptive on the 0 TSB stuff. I was referring to actual engine-mechanical or ECM TSBs.

The -02 and -03 ones are all TSBs relating to the VP44 24 valve, not the CP3 common rail, or else they are trans or PCM related. The 18-033-04 isn't a true TSB in that its not fixing a particular problem, just teaching the service guys how to properly reflash the ECM. The 18-037 is also PCM related. The 05 one falls outside the 03-04 time frame I posted.

And if you're running an early 04, you do not have the latest injector updates. Navistar made many changes (not just injectors, but the entire injection system) in late 04 and 05.

Rod

I have two chevys - gas, and a 2003 Dodge dually with the Cummins. I love them all, but for a tall guy you can't beat the legroom in the Dodge, I can't even put the seat all the way back without having to stretch my 6'3" torso.

Anyway, no problems with the Ram since I bought it new. The cummins has many fewer moving parts and I like that thought. As for power, I find it awesome. It too takes acres to turn, but then I have them to spare.

There is a good Dodge owners discussion board where you can see what the actual experiences have been with all of the Dodge trucks -

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

A friend drove up in a Chey C5500 medium duty crew cab with a flat bed, and Duramax. That is one big truck and he loves it, paid about 34 thou new.

lilbitfarm":1fuxxh1q said:
being a DODGE man myself I would say go with a DODGE but it's your truck so buy whatever makes you happy. but check some diesel websites like http://www.thedieselgarage.com and read up on them all and good luck with the truck hunt.

Sounds like someone just started a fire with gasoline ;-)

flaboy+":3tuttteu said:
buckaroo_bif":3tuttteu said:
bif

Yeah show me the picture. Mine has Navistar decals stuff everywhere. It is made by International. Just go to their web site. I'm not sure what you were looking at. Maybe it was a Ranger. :lol:

BTW, Ford owns Mazda and Mazda does make a really good car in my book and no I don't own one.

I'm so sorry F B but you are mistaken again!!! I just was talking to a salesman the other day at the Ford dealer and this salesman is really sharp! and Never tells a lie!!! And you know what he told me? He assured me that the 6 liter Is made by Mazda and they had so many problems with them and they were not selling that they started putting an International sticker Over the top of the mazda emblem!!! The Ford Corp. is really ashamed for ever becoming affiliated with Mazda. They are gonna drop Mazda in '07 and they are gonna start using Hyundai engines!!! Imagine that a Hyundai in your big bad Ford!!!
I really don't know how or why you would think mazda is a good vehicle. I worked on all makes and models from 1976 through '96 and there is not a sorrier import bulit, except for maybe a Hyundai that is !!!
ROFL!!!! :lol2:
Peel the International sticker off your 6 liter and you will find the original mazda emblem there F B! :mrgreen:

I shall now comit heresy!!!!!! Recently bought an '05 Ford "heavy" F250 with a V10 and auto. Because of the drought had to haul hay almost 300 miles though the Arkansas mountains. With 15 rolls of hay (4x6 approx 1000#) on an 8000# 32 foot trailer I was passing 18 wheelers going up hill and on the flat and level the truck will run 70 mph at only 2300 rpms. True, I only got 6 mpg when fully loaded but on 200 mile runs with only a light load in the bed I'm getting almost 16 mpg. With a diesel engine costing 5 to 6 thousand more and diesel fuel 50 cents a gallon higher than gas; WHY DIESEL????

I have a 2004 Dodge and I just went to Va. to visit son,DIL and especially grandkids. Got 23 miles per gallon up and back. Tx to Va. Can't beat that I don't think. Not to mention that I can do just about anything on the ranch.

Dick