Diesel Tractor Starting Tips ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I never liked using starter fluid I would use wd40 instead but the best is to take a hair dryer and use it to blow hot air into the intake. Works great but you have to have electricity

I just put this Kat's 1500 watt heater on my tractor. Seems like it works really good. It cost about 90 dollars.

Attachments

• B06658EA-E365-40DE-B697-37B083FAA88F.jpeg
    B06658EA-E365-40DE-B697-37B083FAA88F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Don't forget the silicone heat pad for the oil belly pan! Heat goes up and will warm lower end pretty fast if using a 150 watt glue on with red silicone. glue a 100 watt on tranny also, I'm in interior Alaska and it really gets cold here

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always told once you start using ether, your petty much going to have to continue using it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always told once you start using ether, your petty much going to have to continue using it?
I don't believe that engines get addicted to starting fluid like a person does to drugs. I think it is simply that the engine issue that caused you use the starting fluid the first time is still present. The cause of the problem is not cured by the use of starting fluid. It just puts a vaporized fuel in the cylinders that easily burns with adequate compression. So you may have to continue to use starting fluid until the basic problem is fixed. No withdrawal time required once the basic problem is fixed. Getting too much starting fluid in the engine can cause damage. More is not better.

Yes, if too much is used you can break a ring or cause other damage to lower the compression. Then it will never start without it. Also true if it's used on an engine with glow plugs or other starting aids that are functional.

When used responsibly it is not a big deal. A lot of equipment came from the factory with ether injection. Just a little sniff is all it takes.

Have this one on a 1961 JD 2010... replaced a 20+ yr old generic one of similar function that I bought from the JD dealer back around '95. Plug it in an hour or so ahead of time and the old gal fires right up. Haven't had to use ether in decades.
A nice thing about circulating heaters is it's easy to hear them working.

I wanted to use the excavator the other day, it was about 0 F. I went and hit the button on the Webasto and let it run for 20 minutes. The temp gauge was up off the bottom and it fired up like a warm summers day.

A nice thing about circulating heaters is it's easy to hear them working.

I wanted to use the excavator the other day, it was about 0 F. I went and hit the button on the Webasto and let it run for 20 minutes. The temp gauge was up off the bottom and it fired up like a warm summers day.

I've saw where you mentioned Webasto heaters before, so curiosity has gotten the better of me and I looked them up briefly online to scratch that itch. From what I saw, it looks like they're fired by diesel (or similar) and use 12/24V to start/control the fire and circulate coolant through the engine. Do they have their own fuel tank or draw from the machine tank? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks.

Yep a webasto or proheat is diesel fired coolant heater.. They can be setup either way as a fuel source. Can also set them up with a controller to turn on the cab blower motor as well.

Latest posts