Diesel Tractor Enigine w/ EGR Filter system

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a bigger tractor than I currently have. I have found a nice New Holland T4 105 with low hours. One thing I don't like is it has the emissions control system on it with DEF fluid and a particulate filter. The engine is a FPT F5D 4-cylinder diesel Tier 4A. Anyone have any experience with this model tractor or motor? Also wondering if you can delete a tractor like you can a truck.

I understand you can delete them, of course there goes any warranty you may have. I'd like to know if it's worth it. We have a T5.115, DPF but no DEF. It's been good except when new the crank case ventilator froze and because even the filler is sealed tight it blew the rear engine seal out and contaminated the DPF. Glad it was on their dime. But you wouldn't have to worry about that in your part of the world. It's a great little chore tractor for sure.

We have a Kubota with a DPF, but no DEF. I believe it is what they call a tier 4 interim? Every 20 hours or so it goes into a regen mode and will want you to raise the RPM's up. Regen's more often if you idle a lot and less if you run it at high-rpm for long periods of time. Pretty annoying in an chore tractor, but probably wouldn't be a problem if being used for field work. If we had to do it again we would get one pre-emissions.

fence_it":zcx1bhlo said:
We have a Kubota with a DPF, but no DEF. I believe it is what they call a tier 4 interim? Every 20 hours or so it goes into a regen mode and will want you to raise the RPM's up. Regen's more often if you idle a lot and less if you run it at high-rpm for long periods of time. Pretty annoying in an chore tractor, but probably wouldn't be a problem if being used for field work. If we had to do it again we would get one pre-emissions.

+1

The regen process exposes the engine and turbo to prolonged extreme heat. I don't see how that can be good for longevity. And if the DPF ever decides to clog, it will melt the engine down in a hurry.

That is just my theory though, none of our stuff is that new, I don't have an first hand experience with it.