Diesel tank leak

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Is there concern to braise (spelling) on a diesel tank? I know diesel doesn't "explode" like gas....but I am nervous about fixing the tank....

put your air compressor hose in the tank for half an hour. That will clean all the fumes. After it will be safe to weld on.

Diesel will blow up, don't you believe for a minute it won't!!!
I have worked in refining for over thirty years and seen more people killed to that kind of thinking than anything else.
The diesel in that tank has a flash point of 140 degs.
Be safe empty the tank wash it with soap or water, better yet take it to town and get it steam cleaned first.
Until you have pulled people out of a hydrocarbon fire and know your looking at a dead person that needs two weeks to die, will get your mind right about ignition sources around hyrocarbons.

I too have seen a tank on a dozer blow up, we had the cap off of it and it even had an additonal vent that we totally removed to all the hot air to escape. Ever since then they get filled with hot/soapy water three or four times before they even get touched and then it is still a good idea to let them sit and air out for a while. It is easier to get moisture out of a tank than it is to replace a face. Just my thoughts.

Thanks everyone....I knew I was nervous for a reason. Anyway I will tell you ... hubby took tank off and cleaned up the area where it was leaking.... 8 - 10 pinholes...no chance of welding repair. Checked price of new $850 (OUCH)... figured that all these tanks (finding used) would probably be in same situation... pin holes is right around the area where output lines come out of tank... probably water settles here on this underside before dripping/running off. Talked to a friend, he hooked him up with some stuff... said it looks like duct tape but you rub it together between your hands til it heats up and then apply it to the tank. Sounds to be kinda on the same lines as JBWeld. Specifically made for gas/fuel tanks. Guess we'll see how it holds up!

take it to a radaitor shop and get an epoxy lining.
The last one I had done was $85.
If the bottom is that pitted you will be repatching at
inconvenient times.

I use some stuff called Kreem. I have used on several motorcycle tanks and a couple diesel tanks. You can do a google search for it. If you get the kit, it will come with cleaner and prep and the actual Kreem. Line it with this stuff and forget it. It will probably run you about $30 depending on tank size.

Campground Cattle":3p52thn4 said:
I have worked in refining for over thirty years and seen more people killed to that kind of thinking than anything else.
Be safe empty the tank wash it with soap or water, better yet take it to town and get it steam cleaned first.
Until you have pulled people out of a hydrocarbon fire and know your looking at a dead person that needs two weeks to die, will get your mind right about ignition sources around hyrocarbons.
Take this advice. SERIOUSLY. I know 3 boys that darn near blew themselves up not far from here a couple years ago, welding on a Diesel tank.

Crowderfarms":352lrxth said:
Campground Cattle":352lrxth said:
Take this advice. SERIOUSLY. I know 3 boys that darn near blew themselves up not far from here a couple years ago, welding on a Diesel tank.

I have also heard folks say, "fill them up with water and weld them". This is a bomb looking for a place to explode. If you feel you must weld on a fuel tank, after plenty of cleaning with degreasers and soap and water. I would still try to put the tank in or behind some sort of shielding (big ol piece of steel plate) and put the torch to it while standing behind it.

When I was kid, my bother torched a tank on an old jeep that had sit in the woods for many years. He filled it with water and hit it with a torch. It blew and we were both very lucky to survive. This is one reason that I will not weld a fuel tank. I would go buy another or try the liquid liners before welding one.

Compair the cost of a new tank to the cost of leaking out a tank of fuel. With the price of fuel I think the tank is the cheapest part.
Buy a new tank.

Latest posts