diesel prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I go get diesal in two 5 gallon cans. Thought about getting a third, but talked myself out of it. There easier to carry with one in each hand. Its a rare day that I burn more than 5 gallons, and that ain't very often at all.

The price of fuel doesn't effect me anymore now that I'm semi-retired and out of the cattle biz. Having said that I hate to see it cheap, that means big layoffs throughout the south!

houstoncutter":d1e29t5g said:
The price of fuel doesn't effect me anymore now that I'm semi-retired and out of the cattle biz. Having said that I hate to see it cheap, that means big layoffs throughout the south!
Got some much younger young men who are friends of the family. All working in the oil fields....well they were....all are laid off now.

Yes the oil field business is slow. Very few boats working and even less jack ups, and drill rigs. The oil companies on the gulf are trying to do what OPEC does and it's not working yet. All you have to do is read the oil companies literature to know their thieves, they always blame the high prices on the government.

highgrit":39wqe36o said:
Yes the oil field business is slow. Very few boats working and even less jack ups, and drill rigs. The oil companies on the gulf are trying to do what OPEC does and it's not working yet. All you have to do is read the oil companies literature to know their thieves, they always blame the high prices on the government.
But it IS their oil. :nod:

TexasBred":1yxw54y4 said:
highgrit":1yxw54y4 said:

Only because the people of this country let the government sell our natural resources to private companies. The oil and gas companies bought and paid for a bunch of politicians, and still are. Hopefully our government won't sell our water also. But I'm sure the screwing is not going to stop any time soon for the working class.

highgrit":20ed5lxr said:
TexasBred":20ed5lxr said:
highgrit":20ed5lxr said:

Only because the people of this country let the government sell our natural resources to private companies. The oil and gas companies bought and paid for a bunch of politicians, and still are. Hopefully our government won't sell our water also. But I'm sure the screwing is not going to stop any time soon for the working class.

Negatory Ghost Rider...... you are very misguided.

We (mineral owners) lease land to oil companies on shares just like many agriculture people do with hay or crops. No difference. One person has the minerals or the grass or the land and the other operates the harvesting process. They divide the revenue based on a predetermined agreement. :tiphat:

Only because the people of this country let the government sell our natural resources to private companies. The oil and gas companies bought and paid for a bunch of politicians, and still are. Hopefully our government won't sell our water also. But I'm sure the screwing is not going to stop any time soon for the working class.[/quote]

We (mineral owners) lease land to oil companies on shares just like many agriculture people do with hay or crops. No difference. One person has the minerals or the grass or the land and the other operates the harvesting process. They divide the revenue based on a predetermined agreement. :tiphat:[/quote]

BS, the Gulf of Mexico, and the ANWR belongs to us, all the citizens of the US of A. And I can't believe that a taxpaying citizen of this country can believe anything different. Our government always pays to much, and sells to cheap. Because the buyers or sellers are bribing their elected officials from the beginning, and that's no BS.

highgrit":132sf8md said:
Brute 23":132sf8md said:
highgrit":132sf8md said:

We (mineral owners) lease land to oil companies on shares just like many agriculture people do with hay or crops. No difference. One person has the minerals or the grass or the land and the other operates the harvesting process. They divide the revenue based on a predetermined agreement. :tiphat:

BS, the Gulf of Mexico, and the ANWR belongs to us, all the citizens of the US of A. And I can't believe that a taxpaying citizen of this country can believe anything different. Our government always pays to much, and sells to cheap. Because the buyers or sellers are bribing their elected officials from the beginning, and that's no BS.

The officials we keep electing in lease that out. I know guys who own leases in the gulf... they are regular people like you and me. Have kids... go hunting... drink beer... you wouldn't know them if they were standing next to you.

There is corruption in the govt and private industry but it is no more in oil and gas than it is in agriculture or any other industry. Agriculture is one of the biggest lobbying groups in Washington. You think agriculture and these other industries have never "greased the wheel". :lol: There is a problem with our system of govt... but it really has nothing to do with O&G.

highgrit":11tjpeov said:

BS, the Gulf of Mexico, and the ANWR belongs to us, all the citizens of the US of A. And I can't believe that a taxpaying citizen of this country can believe anything different. Our government always pays to much, and sells to cheap. Because the buyers or sellers are bribing their elected officials from the beginning, and that's no BS.[/quote]
Do you have any idea what and oil company pays for lease in ANWR or in the Gulf of Mexico?? It's not like they just decide to go out there and punch a hole. No way in he!! 99% of us could afford or even borrow the money to drill oil wells on it even if we owned it. It costs many millions to drill one well. Much more than that in these two locations mentioned. People bytch about oil company profits without so much as a thought to the amount of money invested and the risk involved. If Exxon/Mobil liquidated tomorrow there would be about $180 million of stock holder equity (cash) to divide among 4.1 billion shares of stock. You do the math.

... plus the reason your fuel is so cheap is because of O&G getting better and more efficient at what they do. We created a surplus of oil and natural gas that drove the price down. Greedy bastards... :wave:

The majority of oil and gas companies actually like stability at roughly $80 oil and $4-5 NG. Those prices are enough for O&G to make money and it keeps prices low enough for demand to stay up. Bankers and Wall Street cause these highs and lows...... not O&G companies. They don't like it any more than we do. O&G companies are at the mercy of the market just like you and I.

Blaming an O&G company for high fuel prices is like blaming a cow/ calf producer for high beef prices right now.

Brute,

You hit it on the head with that statement, I am the director of assets for a medium sized international drilling contractor, these down turns are nothing new to our business. The oil business has always been cyclic, however, now it seems that the price swings are heavily influenced by speculators who are driving the futures market and not necessarily based upon supply and demand aspects that we came used to witnessing back in the 80's and 90's.

I do have one question for our friend who thinks that the government is just giving away these leases. Would you want the same people who run the United States Post Office drilling off shore? :???:

Stones":63q3ucpg said:
Brute,

You hit it on the head with that statement, I am the director of assets for a medium sized international drilling contractor, these down turns are nothing new to our business. The oil business has always been cyclic, however, now it seems that the price swings are heavily influenced by speculators who are driving the futures market and not necessarily based upon supply and demand aspects that we came used to witnessing back in the 80's and 90's.

I do have one question for our friend who thinks that the government is just giving away these leases. Would you want the same people who run the United States Post Office drilling off shore? :???:
We had a link on hte PO....look it up and read WHY the Post Office shows a loss each year. You'll learn a bit more than you know now. I'd rather the PO drill offshore than the other Gov't agencies.