Diesel on Rubs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I realize that mixing diesel with the insecticide for your rubs is fairly common practice, but....but....really?? :shock:

I used a water based one last year, worked ok, but this year is a bad fly year here. What oil is recommended *other* than diesel, and where do you find 10 gallons of mineral oil (or whatever) anyways?? lol And is it as effective as the diesel?

What do the cows think of the diesel? I think its pretty stinky my ownself. Will they voluntarily use it, or do you have to hang it where they *must* use it? As it is now, they use them on thier own.

Appreciate any advice
Dirtybritchesfarm

I won't go into the discussion of oil vs diesel but if they are using the rubs now they should continue. I first hang mine where they must go through it to get to salt and mineral but once they start they will use it anywhere. I have no problem getting them to use it with diesel on it.

What size rub do you have that you need 10 gals of min. oil? I use diesel as I can buy 4-5 gal for the price of 1 gal min. oil. The cows have never complained about the diesel as they're just getting a rub, not a dosing. Put it where they have to go under it if you want it to be effective on the whole herd. I use the face flyps also.

Oh, is the oil vs diesel an ongoing debate? I'd like to hear both sides.

I use rotational grazing, and several pastures, so I have several rubs - 10gal isnt all going on one rub.

Love to hear more, pros and cons! Thanks

If you would like I can e-mail you several designs of mineral feeders with the rub attached that can be moved with the cows when rotational grazing.

kenny thomas":33h0nk4q said:
If you would like I can e-mail you several designs of mineral feeders with the rub attached that can be moved with the cows when rotational grazing.

Thanks Kenny, but it sounds like it will work as-is. Guess I'll go mix up some diesel. Thanks for the replies all.

We've never used diesel.. but then we have Brahman influenced cattle, and diesel will burn their skin. Don't use rubs either. I use a hand sprayer every 3 to 5 days when the flies are bad, and use the protein licks with the fly control (can't remember what it's called... senior moment).

For the people who have e-mailed me about the rubs I have the info in a PDF file and it seems I can't get it to e-mail. Even tried to e-mail it to myself. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get it to go through.

Paperbackslave":1m9caogb said:
I realize that mixing diesel with the insecticide for your rubs is fairly common practice, but....but....really?? :shock:

I used a water based one last year, worked ok, but this year is a bad fly year here. What oil is recommended *other* than diesel, and where do you find 10 gallons of mineral oil (or whatever) anyways?? lol And is it as effective as the diesel?

What do the cows think of the diesel? I think its pretty stinky my ownself. Will they voluntarily use it, or do you have to hang it where they *must* use it? As it is now, they use them on thier own.

Appreciate any advice
Dirtybritchesfarm

I have three rubs stretched across three access routes to my single watering point. This makes sure they all, especially the calves, pass under it several times a day. I do believe that my bull and most of the cows like the rub and understand it feels good and keeps the flies away. With my Herefords I have no concern about using diesel mixed with insecticide at all.

In this picture my bull intentionally went and stood underneath the rub right after I doused it with my 4 oz Permectrin/2.5 gal diesel mix. He was swinging back and forth underneath the rub for some time. He obviously is not bothered by the rub and in fact likes it with the diesel. I think they realize that the rub reduces the number of flies and makes them more comfortable.

IMG_1263_2.JPG

Jim

Latest posts