diesel/kerosene torpedo heater reliability?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I've used these years ago in a big shop. Seemed like there was forever something going wrong with them, mostly either not lighting or some reason slinging a tongue of flame out about 3' long. Has the reliability gotten any better in the last 10 years?
Looking for a small one now.
PCT-MH-75T-KFA__1.jpg

https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com ... edo-heater

greybeard":3hj83ewn said:
I've used these years ago in a big shop. Seemed like there was forever something going wrong with them, mostly either not lighting or some reason slinging a tongue of flame out about 3' long. Has the reliability gotten any better in the last 10 years?
Looking for a small one now.
PCT-MH-75T-KFA__1.jpg

https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com ... edo-heater

I have one that has been trouble free for years. Couldn't tell you the brand off the top of my head. Bought it at
Lowe's.

I have that exact one. Only been using it about 3 years but have had no problems with it. I have a lot bigger one in the shop that I got used about 15 years ago Last year the fuel pickup line cracked and had to be replaced. So far that's it.

Caustic Burno":sgmo1jpt said:
My complaint is how loud it is in my shop. Hard to hear yourself think.
I have thought about buying a convection one.
Yup, that is the draw back to them. But dam the heat good!

I have a wood stove in the shop and generally just use the volcano initially , except when the north winds are howling .

i have a 10 year old Remington. It's tank has a leak in it now. Going to the store today or tomorrow for a replacement.

ddd75":1kvehcdp said:
i have a 10 year old Remington. It's tank has a leak in it now. Going to the store today or tomorrow for a replacement.
Is the leak somewhere that you can put a water heater leak plug in. It's basicly a tapered bolt with a neoprene gasket. I usually just use a self tapping screw for fastening metal roofing that has a gasket on it.

I have two just like the one pictured cept they are 155'000 BTU and on wheels. They have always worked fine. All I burn in them is Diesel. B&G

Have a john deere with a bad board or something - have to flick it off an on a couple dozen times for it to register a temp before it will light. throws an error most times.

dun":3dv9ffjz said:
ddd75":3dv9ffjz said:
Is the leak somewhere that you can put a water heater leak plug in. It's basicly a tapered bolt with a neoprene gasket. I usually just use a self tapping screw for fastening metal roofing that has a gasket on it.

i'll try it tomorrow. Thats a pretty good idea. I tried roof coating and it melted it as it heated up.

There used to be some putty type stuff to seal automobile gas and diesel fuel tanks. You just formed it into a sharp pointed cone and pushed it in the hole and it sealed off somehow. A napa type parts house should have it.
Ran an 8n tractor for 2 years with one of those plugs.

greybeard":2jy249hk said:
There used to be some putty type stuff to seal automobile gas and diesel fuel tanks. You just formed it into a sharp pointed cone and pushed it in the hole and it sealed off somehow. A napa type parts house should have it.
Ran an 8n tractor for 2 years with one of those plugs.
I think Tractor supply has it to....

dun":mj2joqhq said:
I have that exact one. Only been using it about 3 years but have had no problems with it. I have a lot bigger one in the shop that I got used about 15 years ago Last year the fuel pickup line cracked and had to be replaced. So far that's it.

Same here mine have been good I bought a bunch expecting them not to last I still have some in boxes the only problem I have had is a cracked line like dun and the manufacturer sent me the line free

skyhightree1":8dcjjixz said:
dun":8dcjjixz said:

Same here mine have been good I bought a bunch expecting them not to last I still have some in boxes the only problem I have had is a cracked line like dun and the manufacturer sent me the line free

The fuel lines on the dang things will rot right off if they aren't used very often. I don't know what they use for fuel line but it's the wrong stuff. I've had it happen on several of them that got left unused for long periods of time.

Latest posts