Diesel help

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB2

Reaction score
I was sitting still just above idle unloading grain tank on combine, when empty I shut the auger off and engine died just like I shut key off. The unload auger is mechanically engaged with no electrical wires anywhere near the area so I think the engine dieing at the same time auger was disengaged is a coincidence. Turned key and nothing, no power to any gauges, will not turn over. Turn key to auxillary position and gauges, lights work. Took the console off to see if there was a loose wire or something, didn`t find anything but when I tried the key again now have power to gauges but still won`t over and fuel pump does not come on.

Sooo... Engine dies because of lack of fuel and the fact that the fuel pump does't come on when I turn the key points me in that direction. But shouldn't the engine at least still turn over? And with the switch kind of acting erratic, I am thinking electrical? Any ideas? I really struggle with electrical issues.

I'm not a diesel mechanic, but older diesel stuff doesnt need 'lecrispity to run once its started. If it's an older model, most likely a fuel issue is why it died. 'Cept that dang ol 'electric pump.
I'd check all fuses first!
Sometging may have went wrong when you killed the auger and blew a fuse

What type/ age combine? Is there an over simple reason why it won't turn over? Is it in gear? Safety switch some where? Our old JD 9510 would not turn over if you had the unload switch on.
Can you turn the key on and jump the starter?
Get your electric tester out and see if you have juice to the fuel pump and key.
Like Murray said check fuses. Is there one for the key and the fuel pump?

That is one of the things I considered, but I am guessing the engine would still turn over correct? First thing I did was disconnect and reconnect the battery cables, it is a new battery also. If it was just the fuel pump not coming on, or just not turning over I would have a path to follow, but with both issues, I am at a loss. The common denominator is the key switch itself, but the gauges work and the lights are bright, so I would think the pump would kick in.

If it wont turn over fuel shouldn't be your problem at least not all of it. Missing electricity somewhere along the line. Safety switch, key switch and batteries as said would be the place to start. Electrical issues are the worst.

Okay, thanks to your tips I have it ready to roll again. Turns out the problems were unrelated. There were bad connections on the fuel pump and on the neutral safety switch. Found that out after replacing the ignition switch without any results. Thanks guys.

Latest posts