diesel fuel conspiracy?

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle

Reaction score
Diesel running 3.30 to 3.60 a gallon while super unleaded is 3.05? What the ehck is going on? I know diesel is in higher demand during colder months, but isn't it a little premature for that? Seems to me like the oil folks are passing the real costs on to farmers and commercial operators, the true users of diesel, so the average gasoline using citizen can quiet their voices a little. Someone correct me with a legitimate reason please. If I am not mistaken, diesel is about the easiest of fuels to percolate. I'm so disgusted I'm on a new mission to build a DIY biodiesel rig. Nothing like the smell of french fries coming from your tailpipe! Comments/suggestions?

D.R. Cattle":3pemzulr said:
Diesel running 3.30 to 3.60 a gallon while super unleaded is 3.05? What the ehck is going on? I know diesel is in higher demand during colder months, but isn't it a little premature for that? Seems to me like the oil folks are passing the real costs on to farmers and commercial operators, the true users of diesel, so the average gasoline using citizen can quiet their voices a little. Someone correct me with a legitimate reason please. If I am not mistaken, diesel is about the easiest of fuels to percolate. I'm so disgusted I'm on a new mission to build a DIY biodiesel rig. Nothing like the smell of french fries coming from your tailpipe! Comments/suggestions?
What I want to know is where and when are our so called leaders going to say enough is enough.Diesel is the bottom of the barrel stuff. They're bringing the Farmers, Ranchers and Independant Truckers to their knees.A gallon of Milk can be regulated, but not a Gallon of fuel? These crooks know the USA runs on Diesel. From Locomotives, to Trucks, to farm Tractors.

Read in the paper yesterday that they're blaming it on less diesel being refined as compared to the amount of gas. It's a rip off, gas here goes up diesel goes up, gas here goes down diesel goes up more. Maybe it's time for all the truckers to talk strike again.

We had one place jump $1.16/gallon with no new deliveries. Some lady called the Ag office and complained of price gouging. The next day it was down to $3.39 from $4.55.

Seems to me everyone is out to make their fortune over fuel. I just saw on the news this morning where natural gas will be 50-70% higher this year. Why? I don't understand what oil has to do with natural gas. I bet NG customers will really be po'd. We, the general public are being ripped off while many of these companies are recording RECORD profits and have been for 6 months.

What are the people on fixed incomes gonna do? Buy heating gas or food? If the U.S. gets socked with a bad Winter, you may actually see people freeze in their own homes.I know a lot of areas (not here) have laws that prohibit utilities from being shut off in the Winter.But where are folks going to find the money to pay for it all?
"We the People" need to all get together and try to do something. My problem is I feel powerless when it comes to the oil business. Glad we have a fireplace, wood burning stove, and lots of fire wood. We'll use wood til it turns off real cold, then have to use the heat pump.

You are right Crowder. There is going to be real serious problems this winter if it gets real cold up north. I suspect there will be deaths attributed to the cold as folks won't be able to pay. It seems to me some years back I remember the government stepping in to help low income folks with the price of kerosene.

What the government needs to do is step in and stop the oil companies from gouging the public like the currently are. The problem is as we all know most of the campaign contributions come from big oil. I guess I better stop as I'm getting close to politics debate here. I am just concerned about the old folks on fixed incomes. Their incomes won't be going up 5-70%.

My problem is I feel powerless when it comes to the oil business. Glad we have a fireplace, wood burning stove, and lots of fire wood. We'll use wood til it turns off real cold, then have to use the heat pump.

You're not powerless if you are willing and able to use alternate sources. That practice is described as our first line of defense against rising prices of any commodity. If you don't like the cost, use something else or quit using it all together. Let the laws of supply and demand take care of the rest, which unfortunately is working against us right now. Refining used vegetable oil is sounding better by the minute to me.

D.R. Cattle":kuq898fg said:
My problem is I feel powerless when it comes to the oil business. Glad we have a fireplace, wood burning stove, and lots of fire wood. We'll use wood til it turns off real cold, then have to use the heat pump.

You're not powerless if you are willing and able to use alternate sources. That practice is described as our first line of defense against rising prices of any commodity. If you don't like the cost, use something else or quit using it all together. Let the laws of supply and demand take care of the rest, which unfortunately is working against us right now. Refining used vegetable oil is sounding better by the minute to me.
Thats my reasoning for burning wood. I'll sav e at least 75% off my heating bill this Winter, by NOT buying another 500 gallons of Propane. I'm all for alternative fuels, but who are we kidding? Big oil has too much pull in this ol' world. Bio Diesel may be a great idea, but lets face it, this country is in a fix that needs to change now.I believe they have so much pull, that they'll spend billions, just to stop something that would not cause a reliedness on their products.

Yeah, and the problem with some of these alternatives is it will cost me more. I looked into wind generated power and long time back and then again about a year ago. I can run my whole place for 10 years for what a unit would cost that would not supply my total needs. This plus the fact that I didn't include maintenance for that unit. I looked into bio diesel for my tractors. Cost too much to go get it. Nothing close by.

Until the alternatives become widespread and reasonable cost, I will just have to keep burning dinosaurs.

Oh, and one more thing. Some of the stations around here are pumping red diesel as temporarily approved by the state. Now, I pay about 25 cents a gallon less for the red (off-raod)for my tractors all the time. What I pump in my truck is red and costs over $3 a gallon.

flaboy
Save your receipts and a newspaper article or something about them allowing dyed fuel in road vehicles.
That red dye will tint your fuel for a long time. If someone pulls a sample next summer it could still be red tinted.
I uesd to haul fuel to drilling rigs and the dye mix was 1 gal dye to 7200 gals fuel. A little goes a long ways.

dj":3rodki0i said:
flaboy
Save your receipts and a newspaper article or something about them allowing dyed fuel in road vehicles.
That red dye will tint your fuel for a long time. If someone pulls a sample next summer it could still be red tinted.
I uesd to haul fuel to drilling rigs and the dye mix was 1 gal dye to 7200 gals fuel. A little goes a long ways.

Yep, you are right. I slipped some off-road in one of my tractors that I don't normally run off-road in. It turned the filter sight glass red. I have put only green fuel in it since and it is still red. My concern is if something happens to my truck and the dealer sees red! There goes the warranty. :mad:

flaboy+":2roantzh said:
dj":2roantzh said:
flaboy

Yep, you are right. I slipped some off-road in one of my tractors that I don't normally run off-road in. It turned the filter sight glass red. I have put only green fuel in it since and it is still red. My concern is if something happens to my truck and the dealer sees red! There goes the warranty. :mad:

eeeeeekkkkkkkkkk!!

That red dye stays in the fuel forever!! I would try to change filters-flush lines (if not to hard) and drop tank (if not hard) and flush everything!

We have ran red diesel in some of our pickups and it stays in there FOREVER!!

1 teaspoon of red dye treats up to 20,000 gallons! Or that is what DOT told me.

And make sure if you run red dye in a pickup or something run the entire tank out if you can, tihs helps some.

I've been wondering the same myself! Filled up the Tundra this morning on regular and it was $2.66 a gallon.. diesel was $3.29!

Campground explained it a while back .. he's good at that stuff! Something about the new diesel vehicles having to use "refined" diesel making it more $$ to make. Personally I think it's a vendetta against Dodge drivers! :roll: I've parked mine. Can't afford to show ranch property with it anymore! :devil2:

Crowderfarms":2zysc2z7 said:
What are the people on fixed incomes gonna do? Buy heating gas or food? If the U.S. gets socked with a bad Winter, you may actually see people freeze in their own homes.I know a lot of areas (not here) have laws that prohibit utilities from being shut off in the Winter.But where are folks going to find the money to pay for it all?
"We the People" need to all get together and try to do something. My problem is I feel powerless when it comes to the oil business. Glad we have a fireplace, wood burning stove, and lots of fire wood. We'll use wood til it turns off real cold, then have to use the heat pump.

why do yall have to use the heat pump when real cold? Do the rooms away from the fire stay too cold?
We burn wood all winter and I really crank it up when it turns off real cold.

2800 sq. feet and two stories. Cant heat the whole place with just the wood burning stove.At least when it drops into the 20's for several days.

Latest posts