Diesel Engine oil..Preference? Part II..Additives

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
Does anybody...I'm sure lots do....use Lucas oil or STP oil treatment with every oil change? I used to wonder if any of that really made a difference or not.
A few years ago I used to own a Hahn Hi-Boy with a Wisconsin engine in it. Its something you sprayed tobacco with, similar but less fancy than the rigs used today to spray corn with.
It got used once a year but then sit in the barn till next year. One year I didn't use it so it set for two years without being touched. The next year I went to start it and the engine was stuck, locked up. I finally got it unstuck and running again, and was telling a neighbor about it and he said put you a can of STP oil treatment in the oil and it won't do that no more.
Well, I did just that. I used it for several more years after that and then about 4 years ago I stopped growing tobacco and so it sit in the barn for about 3 or 4 years when someone came along and wanted to buy it. My first thought was that it was probably locked up from not being started in so long a time.
To my surprise, after putting a good battery in it, it cranked over just as easily as if it had ran the day before. So I 'm a believer.....I had always heard that a Wisconsin engine were bad to lock up. Anyway, that's my story.......I'd like to hear others.

Yep, the wisconsins are real bad for it.. also because they're most often left outside, and with rusted out mufflers that act like funnels for rain to get in them. The flatheads were the worst. I just rebuilt a V461D on our baler last year.. made a big difference!

The one I use most is Lucas, I went as far as buying Lucas oil for my truck this time around! I usually won't use the additive in the winter, but since it gets darned hot here, I'll add some in the summertime.

J&D Cattle":1yvo88py said:
Lucas. I've had good luck with fuel treatment, oil treatment, and their gear oil I used in my rear diff.

One of the guys at the co-op is big on Lucas, so I let them put the oil treatment in the rear axle of my Dodge. Pan gasket was leaking. They did a very good job of cleaning it up and resealing with silicone. Rear end took a bottle of Lucas, a bottle of the limited slip additive, and there was even room left for some actual gear oil :p

I'm not much of oil treatments. Do flush occasionally before an oil change with Sea Foam. I am pretty religious about Sea Foam in gas if the machine is going to set a while.

Also treat most of my diesel fuel with Power Service. Silver bottle in warm weather. White bottle for winter. Plan to put some white bottle in the Kubota this morning. Needs to get mixed thoroughly to work as intended.

The old Ford diesels I put some TCW3 2-stroke oil in the diesel fuel when it's hot weather. Wouldn't dare do that with the Kubota.

Also put a quart of TCW3 in the 35 gal gas tank of my 454EFI. Engine uses basically 0 crankcase oil when I do that. Without TCW3 in the tank it uses about the same amount of engine oil.