Diesel additives cold weather

Help Support CattleToday:

I prefers Howes diesel treatment.
It contains a lubricant and cleaner, contains no alcohol so it doesn't dry out your o rings etc like some of the other brands.
You can adjust the temp it is good to by how much you add to you fuel

I also switched to Howes after using Power Service for years. Had to replace the injection pump on two older tractors this year, the mechanic said to not use Power service any more, he had had a lot of injection pump problems with this in common, with his customers.The pumps started leaking fuel and loosing prime also.

I assume all these products, as well as untreated diesel, work in the south. But I don't live there so I can not give advice.

In Minnesota there is a common problem with the newer, tighter, fewer is series, filters. They will not work consistently with #2 fuel, they will not work consistently with a blended fuel, they will not work consistently with #2 fuel treated with white bottle PS crap. Some of the imported economy equipment is the worst.

The belt and suspenders polar vortex approach is to buy winter fuel, add a premium additive, run a tank of it, and then change the fuel filter. Some feel their additive is so good they do not need winter fuel. Results will vary with your fuel system and where you park it overnight.

Last edited:
I've fed cows daily with #2 summer fuel treated with howes or hot shot secret is as cold at -40 degrees and never had an issue. Feeding tractor never spends a night inside all winter long.

I try to refuel and treat the fuel when its "warm" hopefully above zero.

Depending on the region it was normally 20% Kerosene 80% diesel. You definitely need a lubricant like TC-W outboard 2 cycle oil.
Since 2006 diesel hasn't had the lubricant quality and kerosene will be less as there are less long chain paraffin molecules .
I half raised the boy that's over blending in the refinery, next time I see him and I remember I will ask what they are adding for lubrication.
Great advise as I have added the lube to every tank since I read you advise. I have went through several gallons so far. Them old tractors will smoke a little, but they sure start, run good and know doubt last longer with fewer problems with the additive. I remember you saying don't add it to the newer diesel engines with the regen (filter) as it may not work out good with that BS.

a5de2c15-0b75-4590-a41b-29580ece0ce4_3.1ce69a37e2c5e59720a5b1cfaa26e3ee.jpeg

Last edited:
We use Howes or Lucas. But in Missouri, we'll only get a few days every year where the temps will dip below 0.

I think in some ways our area is worse because a lot of our fuel is not a proper winter blend. Last year our whole 1000 gallon tank gelled up during that bad cold spell. The fuel company is supposed to guarantee against it, but that has not been the case for us, so I always pre-treat before the cold gets here.

The 911 stuff doesn't work all that well in my experience. An ounce of prevention is way better than a pound of cure as far as that goes.

Last edited:
I use Howes

I went into the Co-op a few year ago. I asked what everyone here uses, what sells the most. Howes

Fuel supplier will start adding Power Service Artic to the fuel here before long. Biggest complaint we had last winter was from ford owners who hadn't serviced their filters recently.

Latest posts