Didn't need the help

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
caught about 100 cows last night - plan was to sort and then wean calves this afternoon. :cboy:
problem with this plan - we didn't tell everyone. (we were going to do this next week but the cows were cooperative early)
My brother came home from work - saw the gate shut - opened it and let them out to the pasture :roll:

don't ya just love it when someone helps! :roll: :drink: :drink: :drink: :roll:
oh well, maybe those mama's won't guess what was up and we can do it easily tomorrow :lol2: :? :lol2:

mdmdogs3":7yyw1h7g said:
My brother came home from work - saw the gate shut - opened it and let them out to the pasture :roll:

Sounds to me like someone needs to have a heart-to-heart conversation with your brother about opening gates without finding out what is going on first. No - I don't love help with these kinds of situations, and he would have been out there sorting calves off cows by himself (even in the dark, with a flashlight and a sore butt), trust me on this!

msscamp":22py6nuj said:
Sounds to me like someone needs to have a heart-to-heart conversation with your brother about opening gates without finding out what is going on first.

That was one of those unwritten rules you learned as a child. If you go through a shut gate, close it behind you. Leave it as you found it. Seems I have had encounters this year over and over with those who didn't learn that rule.

backhoeboogie":9lrgwrmw said:
msscamp":9lrgwrmw said:
Sounds to me like someone needs to have a heart-to-heart conversation with your brother about opening gates without finding out what is going on first.

That was one of those unwritten rules you learned as a child. If you go through a shut gate, close it behind you. Leave it as you found it. Seems I have had encounters this year over and over with those who didn't learn that rule.

Yep, I would have to agree. I've found, speaking from personal experience here, that the quickest way to enforce that rule is to send the offending party out to rectify the situation.

the original plan was to open the gate and let them out to the pasture - but when they were all there trapped, I took advantage of the cows and their foolishness and shut them up - thus moving up the planned weaning -
told everyone but my brother (who by the way is way past the butt warming age (42) )
so in his defense - he was doing what he last knew to be right (had earlier been asked to open the gate if I hadn't already done it) although he could have and should have wondered why the entire herd was locked in this small pen
could have called a cell phone before opening the gate

and as an update - the cows are gate shy now - if they hadn't seen me coming could have easily shut the gate and trapped them all again but as soon as they saw the truck they took off like I was gonna steal their babies or something ;-)
now we get to round up the cows the old fashioned way :cboy: anybody up for a round up tomorrow :?:

mdmdogs3":2fwvf6d2 said:
anybody up for a round up tomorrow :?:

I believe I'll have to pass, you're a bit of a distance from me. ;-) :lol: :lol: Have fun!

PS You're never too old for a butt warming if it's warranted!

Latest posts