Did you know?

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
that we normal people are actually blind? :shock:

It's called Inattentative Blindness, because we don't catch or see things that aren't supposed to be there, but we only see something when we're looking for it.

For example, a study was done on a group of people-normal folk like yourselves. They were asked to count the number of passes that occured in a basketball game on TV.

During the game a lady dressed in a gorilla suit appeared in the middle of the game, right in the center of "attention", while these people were busy counting the number of passes in the game.

After the study session was done (or you could say when the game was over), the Docs asked who saw the Gorilla?
Over 50% of the people in that study did not see the gorilla, even though it was in plain view during the game.

One more thing. Did you know that (I should say did you ever notice) the only things that really pop out at us are our names and smiley faces?

Weird, eh? :shock:

Just say the words and I'll explain what I mean.

'Night yall.

Brace yourself, it's abit longwinded.

Okay, so the first one that I said was about the Inattentional Blindness. The reason we're like that is because of our brain, the way it has developed over evolution. Since we have a more developed frontal lobe than any other animals, this in part helps us see the "big picture". We only see the big picture but are oblivious to the little tiny details that animals (and autistic people) see that go into that big picture. People percieve lots more than they realize conciously. It's just the fact that our frontal lobes are the stuff responsible for our obliviousness to the environment: inattentional blindness works at a high level of mental processing, meaning that your brain does a lot of processing before it allows something into conciousness. In a normal human brain sensory data comes in, your brain figures out what it is, and only then does it decide whether to tell you about it, depending on how important it is. A lot of processing has already taken place before a normal human being becomes conscious of something in the environment.

Animals don't have to be paying attention to something in order to see it. Things like, say jiggly chains in a cattle chute or a yellow raincoat on the fence pop out at them and grab their attention whether they want them to our not.

Whereas with humans,almost nothing in the environment pops. That means that it's practically impossible for a human being to actually see something brandnew in the first place. Folks probably don;t like novelty anymore than animals do, but people don't get exposed to much novelty, because they don;t notice it when it's there. Humans are built to see what they are expecting to see, and it's hard to expect to see something you've never seen. New things just don't register.

But there are a few things that seem to grab people's attention, like the sight and sound of your own name, or large-sized objects, or cartoon happy faces. Not cartoon sad faces; a cartoon sad face is just as invisible as everything else for people who aren't actively paying attention. But a cartoon happy face will snatch people out of their inattention. If it was an animal, it wouldn't matter if the cartoon faces were frowning or smiling.
As for names, it's all about the frontal lobe processing before it tells us.

I know, sounds weird, and I probably confused you all even more so. But it's kinda neat, if you stop and think about it.

See, if I put a bunch of frowning faces together on one square, and put a smiley one in the middle, I'll bet that you'll see it right away. And probably the same with your name.

sounds like thats why I can't find the hairbrush.... :lol:

I don't know if this is exactly what you are talking about but have you ever taken a camcorder to the barnyard or woods and filmed something. Then return home and play it on the TV and all of a sudden, you notice sounds and things that you didn't notice while you were filming. I've always found that rather interesting.