Did I screw up? AI Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
I had a American cow that was standing this morning at 7 am. She was not standing at 8 am. I AI'ed her at 4:30 pm. Is this too early or late?

Well, I'd call it perfect.

Rule of thumb = AI 12 hours after standing heat. So it wasn't too late. And she was probably in standing heat at 4:30 am when you didn't see her.

In practice, if I see a cow in standing heat and she's been well-rubbed I AI her. I know it's too early in theory (probably 3 - 4 hours after onset of standing heat). But it gives a much higher conception rate than seeing her in the evening and remembering that you saw her before and then forgetting to AI because you think you've already done her...

regolith":19q3niic said:
But it gives a much higher conception rate than seeing her in the evening and remembering that you saw her before and then forgetting to AI because you think you've already done her...
You don;t keep records of who you bred and when? Seems that you should be able to look at your records/notes and tell if she's been bred or if you need to breed her.

ffamom":1v0i8nja said:
I had a American cow that was standing this morning at 7 am. She was not standing at 8 am. I AI'ed her at 4:30 pm. Is this too early or late?
That's about the time I do it, 12 or so hours after I first see her in heat.

I think your timing was spot on. 10 -18 hours after the ONSET of standing heat will result in the best conception rates.

General rule of thumb is to AI early for heifers later for conception.

Yay! Hopefully I'm doing it right and won't see any more 66% bull calf years...

You don;t keep records of who you bred and when?

Dun, I do keep records, but when I'm cutting the cow out during milking for AI it doesn't seem to matter if I've got the cow's number written right in front of me. If I know I saw her at the previous milking, I'll walk right past her. (sieve for brains)
I've never failed to AI a cow because of that, but after two separate incidences half-killing myself on ankle-deep mud trying to get the cow out of the herd and back to the milking shed, I figured it was easier to just do them as soon as I saw them. One of those occasions instead of drafting her for AI I'd actually refreshed her tail paint during milking... so I couldn't even pick out the bald tail when I realised I hadn't AI'd her and went to get her.

regolith":26oougr4 said:

You don;t keep records of who you bred and when?

Dun, I do keep records, but when I'm cutting the cow out during milking for AI it doesn't seem to matter if I've got the cow's number written right in front of me. If I know I saw her at the previous milking, I'll walk right past her. (sieve for brains)
I've never failed to AI a cow because of that, but after two separate incidences half-killing myself on ankle-deep mud trying to get the cow out of the herd and back to the milking shed, I figured it was easier to just do them as soon as I saw them. One of those occasions instead of drafting her for AI I'd actually refreshed her tail paint during milking... so I couldn't even pick out the bald tail when I realised I hadn't AI'd her and went to get her.

A couple of the dairys here put a colored leg band on at milking time if they have to breed her the next milking. Takes about a nanosecond and the band is obvious when they are in the parlor for milking.

Don't bet the grocerie money on that!

AI often results in a completely skew bull:heifer ratio, but earlier AI will usually yield more heifers than late AI would, doesn't neccesarily mean a huge swing in favour of heifers, though.

yes you done right.she was in heat in the morning.an you bred her in the evening.so your following the AM/PM breeding rule.

KNERSIE":ln7fbw0c said:
I think your timing was spot on. 10 -18 hours after the ONSET of standing heat will result in the best conception rates.

That's exactly what we think. I always have hubby breed early during the first 3-4 weeks of AI - than I go with the later timing for conception. Year after year - we get the majority of heifers in the first month of calving. Last year, I purposely bred later going for conception AND BULLS. Wanted a quick cash flow crop this year (knew I was looking for a tractor!). Ended up with 66% bulls. Yahoo!

I pretty much agree with the early for heifers deal, but why is it that bull doesn;t throw mostly daughters? He's johnny at the rat hole when she first comes in and I would think he would be servicing her as soon as she would stand still

Dun, I always wondered the same thing. Must have something to do with the volume of "extender" & the sheer number of sperm. I was always explained that the females were fat & slow & the males were slender & quick - so males are getting to the right "spot" faster than the females & the theory is that the males die off before the egg is actually ovulated, leaving the fat, lazy females time to get there - if you breed early. But, you're taking a chance of all the sperm dieing off BEFORE the egg is there.

redluv":t06x0eh1 said:
ffamom":t06x0eh1 said:
That's about the time I do it, 12 or so hours after I first see her in heat.

We try to wait 12 hrs. After standing heat ends.

Thank you for all the responses. Hopefully in a couple of weeks, she will pass over.

In regard to the American comment, I guess I should have stated she had Brahman influence.

Latest posts