Did I pull too soon?

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Heifer started labor before 2:30 pm or so, was not there to see first contraction needless to say. Started to deliver at 3:00pm. Front hooves came out in the correct positon, then head started to come out. Delivery stopped when two front hooves were out, and head was out as far has his eye sockets.

It was at this point her pushing was not progressing. I waited for 20 minutes. I was willing to wait longer, but I noticed that calf's tongue was out, and started to swell up. I waited until the tongue appeared to be twice the size it should be, about 5 minutes later.

It was at this point I stepped in and after two contractions, calf came right out. All is now well.

My question is, did I need to worry about the swollen tongue, or did I overreact?

As always, thanks

No progress in a half hour is an indication to assist. Long deliveries usually result in calves that are slow to get up and going. I think you did the right thing.

you was right in going ahead an pulling the calf.because once his tongue swells up to much its hard for him to suck.an then youd have to bottle feed the calf for awhile.

Let me ask this. I made my decision to pull based on the swollen tongue, more so than the 25 min I had timed out.

I know that each calf is 180% different than the next, but should the swollen tougue factored into my decision, or was that a non factor?

On another note, I read a few hundred past post abut pulling calfs, when, how. Thank you all for the past posts. It was nice to have the base knowlage as to when I might need to help, stay out of the way, or call the vet.

when to pull a calf is based on the things that you see.an how bad you think the problem is.an only you can decide when to pull a calf.

Agree 100% with Bigbull. Apparently everything is fine so you did the right thing. Seems you gave her more than enough time, saw something that told you to give her some help and acted. Way to go. :clap: :clap: :clap:

bigbull did put it perfectly.
A swelling tongue should factor into the decision for sure. As bigbull already stated on this thread a swollen tongue will cause problems when the calf tries to nurse. You want that baby up and nursing ASAP to get colostrum right away.

Victoria":1194qf6v said:
bigbull did put it perfectly.
A swelling tongue should factor into the decision for sure. As bigbull already stated on this thread a swollen tongue will cause problems when the calf tries to nurse. You want that baby up and nursing ASAP to get colostrum right away.
Couldn;t possibly agree more!
All the book learning does is make it easier for you to make the right decision when it isn;t covered by the book.

Swelling is caused by the pressure. The whole HEAD will also swell.
Obviously, your timing was PERFECT!!! Live healthy calf & mom doing well.
Live V said - too soon is MUCH better than too LATE. But, even without the swollen tongue, you don't want to have NO PROGRESS for more than 30 minutes - especially with a heifer.
After saying that, that is UNDISTURBED "no progress".
Congratulations - "you done good!"

You did good! :tiphat:

She made progress, progress stopped, problem observed, you assisted and have a live healthy calf. Most excellent.

Good call on the pull.....Here's my swollen tounge story.

Last year a very small cow had a 92# calf after quite a long labor, but I couldn't get her restrained to pull. Of course it was the middle of the night & I was home alone. Anyways. Calf was finally born & his whole head & tounge were swollen. He looked like he had skin expanders on the top of his head between his ears. Poor guy- he was up & wanting to nurse but simply couldn't work that big ol' tounge. So I tubed him w/ colostrum twice that day & gave the usual shots. The swelling went down by the evening & he was nursing away!

Thanks to all again

After 24 hrs both are well.

The only reason I had some idea when to step in was due to all the of posting you all do for myself and others.

Take care

Latest posts