Did anyone hear about this ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Very scary to say the least.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 3QSVg344ww

NKorea may be set for long-range missile launch: reports
14 hours ago

SEOUL (AFP) — North Korea seems to be preparing to test-fire its longest-range missile, reports said Tuesday, a move that would heighten tensions amid stalled disarmament talks and icy relations with South Korea.

A source quoted by Seoul's Yonhap news agency said US and South Korean intelligence agencies have recently spotted a train carrying a long cylindrical object believed to be a Taepodong-2 missile.

Launch preparations are likely to be completed in a month or two at a new west coast site, the source said. The defence ministry and National Intelligence Service refused to comment.

Japan's Sankei Shimbun newspaper said spy satellites had detected a large container capable of housing a missile being delivered to the site at Tongchang, about 40 km (25 miles) south of the border with China.

The paper said frequent truck movements had been spotted at the site and launch preparations could be completed in one or two months for what could be a remodelled version of the Taepodong-2.

The missile has a maximum range of 6,700 kilometres (4,150 miles), meaning it could theoretically target Alaska.

Analysts said the North is trying to push the new US administration back to the negotiating table and to strengthen its bargaining position.

Nuclear disarmament talks with the North, involving the US and four regional powers, are deadlocked over how the communist state's atomic disclosures should be verified.

Reports of the planned launch also come amid rising tensions with Seoul. The North announced Friday it is cancelling all peace accords with its neighbour and on Sunday warned of a possible military conflict.

Ryoo Kihl-Jae, of the University of North Korean Studies, told Yonhap Pyongyang is angling for quicker dialogue with Washington amid frayed ties with Seoul.

Baek Seung-Joo of the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses said there would be a significant time gap between preparations and any launch.

"North Koreans seek warmer ties with the Obama administration, not strained relations, at the beginning," he told AFP.

Baek said the North wants to get the attention of the US administration and gain the upper hand in upcoming negotiations with it.

North Korea staged an atomic test in 2006 and is thought to have enough plutonium for six or so bombs. Experts differ on whether it has miniaturised a bomb that could fit on a missile.

"I don't think the North Koreans are yet capable of producing a sophisticated nuclear warhead device to fit on a long-range missile," Baek said.

North Korea sparked regional alarm in 1998 by launching a shorter-range Taepodong-1 missile over Japan from its east coast launch site at Musudan-ri.

In July 2006 it launched a Taepodong-2 missile from there but US officials said it failed after about 40 seconds.

Daniel Pinkston, senior analyst with the International Crisis Group think-tank, said the launch site being built at Tongchang could be completed by the end of this year and a launch could be held even before then.

He said any long-range missile launch "would get the attention of the Obama administration. There are so many things on Obama's plate, but this would force everyone to take notice."

Pinkston said any launch might put a satellite in orbit.

Whatever the motive, such an achievement would earn leader Kim Jong-Il "tremendous domestic political benefit" -- especially if it preceded South Korea's first domestic satellite launch planned for June.
Hosted by Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

I betcha there's a nuclear sub somewhere off the coast of N. Korea just waiting to vaporize the whole place IF they fire one missle this way. I'd be more concerned with something they might develop to destroy communications and defense satellites.

Whoever got the bright idea that nuclear power should be used for weapons ought to be strapped to one. Its such a mess.

TexasBred":1kqfdb91 said:
I betcha there's a nuclear sub somewhere off the coast of N. Korea just waiting to vaporize the whole place IF they fire one missle this way. I'd be more concerned with something they might develop to destroy communications and defense satellites.
Problem is no one in position with the nads to use it. Just another NK shakedown. Pleusey is probably already writing the check.

I think the fact that Iran just put a satellite into orbit - indicasting strike capability anywhere in the bloody world is a lot more scary.

He!! koreans are hungry and starving - but those idiots in Iran are rabid dogs.

Bez+

A snip below;

Iran's Omid satellite launched into orbit
Tehran Times Political Desk

TEHRAN - Iran has successfully launched its first domestically-produced satellite into orbit.

The satellite, called Omid, or hope in Farsi, was launched late Monday after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gave the order to proceed.

The satellite, intended for telecommunications and research activities, soon reached its orbit and made contact with ground stations.

Ahmadinejad announced on Tuesday that Iran has taken a significant step in its space program.

Bez+":2fu4sz3k said:

Ahmadinejad announced on Tuesday that Iran has taken a significant step in its space program. [/i]

Let them launch a bunch of radical extremists into space, then. See if that paradise thing is true.

Bez, I'm not the news fanatic I used to be and might have missed the story, but it would seem something like that should be all over the news if we had reporting and broadcasters that weren't politically biased. The last thing we need now is the appearance of indifference toward such incidents and the appearance of a fat cat napping. But instead we are focused on federally sanctioned ponzi schemes.

Bez+":3pi7c7i9 said:
I think the fact that Iran just put a satellite into orbit - indicasting strike capability anywhere in the bloody world is a lot more scary.

Bez+

A snip below;

TEHRAN - Iran has successfully launched its first domestically-produced satellite into orbit.

The satellite, called Omid, or hope in Farsi, was launched late Monday after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gave the order to proceed.

The satellite, intended for telecommunications and research activities, soon reached its orbit and made contact with ground stations.

Ahmadinejad announced on Tuesday that Iran has taken a significant step in its space program.
the fact they got into "orbit" should be more then a significant step for them. it should make history....they couldnt even launch a scud in the right direction.. what was the scud anyway? a 55 drum of gas with a sock lit in the end :lol: edit i forgot they don't wear socks, must be a turban ;-)

I think North Korea is the bigger threat. Even though Iranian's are more nutz. Koreans are fierce fighters and as we all know Arabs can't win at war. NK is so close to the 8th Army Head Quarters and Osan Air Base, 2nd infantry division 1000"s of US troops and civilians. WE the US would instantly be in a full scale war with possibly many casualties. Also a attack on Japan would bring us into war.

LoveMoo11":14361ql1 said:
Whoever got the bright idea that nuclear power should be used for weapons ought to be strapped to one. Its such a mess.

LoveMoo....true just he thought of nuclear attack anywhere is scarey....however, thinking of it from our side of the ocean, I've read that all the purple hearts that have been passed out by the US Military since WWII were those that were originally made in antipation of the loses IF the US had to invade Japan....the nuclear bomb made that unnecessary and hundreds of thousands of American lives were saved.

Bez+":35rp0vf4 said:

Bez+

A snip below;

How come I haven't read about this, as it is HUGE news..

Bez what is the URL for this piece..

As for the media they would rather report about Britney Spears latest controversies than something that may very well be the 3rd world war..

TexasBred":2xz0awtc said:
LoveMoo11":2xz0awtc said:

LoveMoo....true just he thought of nuclear attack anywhere is scarey....however, thinking of it from our side of the ocean, I've read that all the purple hearts that have been passed out by the US Military since WWII were those that were originally made in antipation of the loses IF the US had to invade Japan....the nuclear bomb made that unnecessary and hundreds of thousands of American lives were saved.

There were about half a million Purple Hearts made in anticipation of the invasion of Japan. Most military people believe it wouldn't have been enough. Last I heard, we still had about 100,000 of them left. Japanese casualties were expected to be in the millions, as every able bodied civilian, including women and children, were being trained to fight to the death.

hillsdown":3igyicbd said:
How come I haven't read about this, as it is HUGE news..

Bez what is the URL for this piece..

As for the media they would rather report about Britney Spears latest controversies than something that may very well be the 3rd world war..

Looks like a lot more available than their was this morning. I guess it can stay quiet only so long. This is the search I used.
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/new ... e&ei=UTF-8

You can Google "Iran launches satellite into orbit"

BBC has some good coverage.

North American news is really bad - from Canada you have pompous Peter at CBC and Lying Lloyd at CTV - both usually spout the same story - just at different times.

Since moving over here I have added Al Jezeera - despite its obvious islamic bias, Jerusalem Post, Saudi News, Iran Daily and a few more.

You have to read the papers - or the on line versions.

Television is candy and floss - and the US of A tends - even with its own national news to be very parochial. And if you were to take away the opening sound bites you could not really tell one from the other.

And you have to think a bit for yourself - something the average north American does not do.

I see and hear so many truly ignorant Canadians and Americans over here - not rude - just "no idea" about anything much more than fast food and "funny money" - or the national currency of that country they are visiting. And not too many seem to care that English is widely understood - they just stand out in public and blurt out the strangest things like it does not matter that it could be considered rude.

Folks used to make fun of the Americans - but the ugly Canadian is far more prevalent than many really want to admit - and growing rapidly.

The news is out there - it is a matter of actually taking some time in the day to do something like read a page or two on a foreign newspaper - they almost all are in English.

We all have time to do this - but do we have the inclination?

Do not trust your national media - they are generally speaking - not worth the time - out to make a dollar or score points on a political party.

When I read the above it makes me look cranky - I am not - I just see it from a different point now that I live in a foreign country.

Cheers

Bez+

A lot of people from certain other countries are way far ahead of Americans on knowledge of both current events and history.

They may misinterpret things in the broader context, but they do keep up with the news.
American complacency is going to cause us real problems sooner or later.

Ryder":1yh4ontu said:
A lot of people from certain other countries are way far ahead of Americans on knowledge of both current events and history.

They may misinterpret things in the broader context, but they do keep up with the news.
American complacency is going to cause us real problems sooner or later.

As a northern neighbour, I do not believe the Canadians to be far behind you in this regard.

But you only know what you get "fed" by the major networks

Cheers

Bez+

Latest posts