Did anybody ever have any MCR King Ten calves

Help Support CattleToday:

bookcliff

Reaction score
I have not seen any of the 595 calves but I went to mill creeks sale to outbid everyone period and buy him since he was a King Ten out of a Sir 1cow and I had seen herat Mill Creek a year or so earlier and she was really good especially considering that she was 12 at the time--sound udder, in good rig,and still structually sound . as it turned out about 5 other guys I knew were there to buy him too but we all had the same reason for not buying him. loose sheathed and lazy peckered. that being said, he was one heck of a bull and his ratios blew the pure golds and the 8020's away. traveled good, good feet, looked like a bull should. if it wasn't for the sheath he'd been a $10,000 to 15,000 bull that day instead of turner getting him for 3200. as for King Tens, as far as I am concerned they even after 30 years are the best in the breed. we have been line breeding him here and his daughters blow away all the other so called greats like 767G, 8020, L617, ect that we have used AI over the last 15 years to outcross and supposedly prove up EPD's for linebred's (with is BS contray to what AHA says). After much traveling and many phone calls we have 2 own sons in use here, one from Weises (there leadoff bull in the pens at Denver last year--WS King Ten 6211 ET and one we just purchased from Bruce Duncan--DR King Ten 8021 (his high selling bull in this years sale.) and a triple bred King Ten son we raised (an own son of Achiever out of a diamond out of a own daughter of 678W( 678w was a King ten son out of an Expolsion daughter out of a King Ten daughter that Glenkirks used) what I am really excited about however is I reciently aquired 9 ampules of King Ten to flush with. We are flushing a Monument 209 (FRC/Blazer/MFR Stockman/386) daughter out of a 28X cow who was out of a triple bred King Ten daughter to him this spring. without a doubt King Ten will outdo just about any of the so called latest and greatest genetics out there in head to head comparisions like the National Hereford Feedout, in Residual feed intake testing trials, feedlot performance testing or carcass testing. anyway thats what we have seen with our King Tens anyway.

bookcliff

Reaction score
I don't know if dave still has her. However if I remember right he does have a King ten daughter out of her unless he's pedaled her. Dave didn't breed this cow and she did not come from either Carpenters or when Mel Williams sold out. she came from Von Forell's dispersion when they sold out and got into the Red Angus thing. That is another sad note, the Mel Williams cows. Mel was Ferry's Herdsman, that why you sometimes here it called Carpenter-Williams breeding. a buddy of mine that I trade cowboy labor with who is also in the REg. Hereford busness and I had the oportunity to by Mel's cows back in 97 0r 98 when his family was dispersing them after he passed away from a cancerous brain tumor. those cows were his pick out of the FRC dispersion and his pick of the FRC bulls at that time too. He just kept linebreeding them the way Ferry and him had done all those years. We contacted the family since they were wanting to sell them private treaty that August as I remember. they were interested but the wanted to sell 'em right quik. We told them we were shipping double stocks steers every day the next couple of weeks and then had to get preweaning done but would try and get up to Hayden sometime the first week of September to buy em. I called them back a couple of weeks later to make arrangements to come up that first week of Septmeber to do just that (there were about 50 or 60 head as I remember ranging from old cows to yearling hfrs) and they said ---take a deep breath and don't go to cussin'----the Salida Salebarn manager had been up and they just decided to salebarn them--they all went the week before.scattered three sheets to the wind, bunch of the cows went to slaughter, hfr calves bought by order buying traders. I tried track em down from there but no luck. the last true linebred FRC's--sold of to make hamburger by a daughter who lived in Denver and didn't have any clue to what she had sitting there.

Idaman

Reaction score
I knew Bookcliffs when they were in Grand Junction Colo. I believe they moved to Kansas later.

BTW it Is F-A-rrington Carpenter not Ferry as was stated. I know because he corrected me one time.

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
When's that May Headliner gonna get posted?

You and Jane spending too much time on the message boards?

LOL!

JK!!!

jhambley

Reaction score
WichitaLineMan":2weihqj9 said:
When's that May Headliner gonna get posted?

You and Jane spending too much time on the message boards?

Tom Granzow, the secretary-manager for the KHA, does the heavy lifting on the Headliner. Jane does write the "Tales from the Trails" column which I enjoy.

JH

JHH

Reaction score
I luv herfrds":28qyqov4 said:
Sorry not this year. Had hoped to, but other expenses came up instead. :(

I had talked to Lawrence Turner some while ago and he said they had used him some on some black or black baldie cows. I cant remember which. I may still try him later on after talking with Herefords U.S.
He said( Lawrence) he was producing freezable semen, but they did have a problem at first.

It looks to me like some one should be line breeding this line of cattle. You should be able to use the Wiese bull, 595 bull, and I think Wiese had another bull or two out of King Ten also.From my understanding they were productive cows.( All before my time).

I would like to see a cross between the Day 943 bull and the King Ten cow family. Anyone wanting to try that one? I think they would be smaller framed progeny that wouldnt fit into todays mainstream breeding plans for some.