Dexters

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
Who is breeding and selling all these Dexters? Is it just pilgrams taking other pilgram's money? I have been in the business awhile. I have been to a few goat ropings and a picnic or two... I have never met a dexter breeder. Lowlines, Miniature Herefords, Llamas, Alpacas, Buffalo,and every other breed I can think of ....no Dexters.

Well, here's one....nice to meet you Ollie...wish I had more Dexters to sell....get more inquiries than what we have available....

What nich do they fill and what are your personal breeding goals. Are you trying to improve the stock any? If so how?

Gale would you agree that as a seedstock provider you have a certain responsibility to try to improve the quality of the breed not just the quantity?

(I feel like I'm taking the College Boards or something!)

First of all, Dexters are considered a dual-purpose breed, milk and beef in quantities for a family (some train them as oxen too), small acreage cattle, easier on pasture space, feed requirements, etc. They are small, but not "miniature" (although a lot of people who breed "miniature cattle" use Dexters). A few want to have something "interesting" in their pasture, a pet...please don't faint, Ollie.

We've had them for 6 years...one year, when we had five bull calves, I 'freaked' wondering what I'd do with all those boys...but a number of people called and wanted their own personal beef animal to raise, so we castrated them and sold them. Finally got around to having one processed for ourselves last fall, because I did not want to sell what I had not used myself (and now I'm afraid I'll run out of beef before the next one's ready). Most people want a heifer for breeding or a family milk cow...at weaning, we halter train the heifers and handle them (brush, tie, lead, etc.) and it's a great feeling to lead one out of the pen, across the yard and into the trailer (even if she's never been in a trailer before). They're vaccinated and registered before they leave (we don't register the steers).

Improving stock? Yes, that's our hope...we got a new young bull last fall, unrelated (as much as possible) to our cows. We also have semen from a Canadian bull and a British bull. Trying to broaden our own genetic base here. Being a rare breed (though now officially upgraded to "watch" status by the Amer. Livestock Breeds Conservancy), the Dexter gene pool could be considered small. We had our first calf by the British bull in January.

I would say that Dexters are in a transition stage at this point in time...red is on the increase, as are polled Dexters (lots of controversy there!). Our animals have horns and a lot of people don't want this; we feel it's okay to de-horn a young calf but not an adult animal. Personally, I think the horns are part of what makes them Dexters, but I understand that not everyone feels that way. Also, while some breeders are gung-ho on red, polled animals, other breeders are attempting to preserve the "old" genetics. Interesting times at the dexter corral, to say the least....

Responsibility? Yup, not just in breeding responsibly to avoid some genetic problems (chondrodysplasia "bull-dog" gene) but also responsible breeding (age factor) and responsible care (feed, hay). Dexters' reputation as easy calvers, hardy, good foragers, etc., would lead some people to believe they can be exposed to a bull at 6-7 months, and can eat tree-bark to survive. There are some breeders who do not routinely vaccinate their Dexters at all.

I could go on and on, but hope I've answered your basic questions. Dexters aren't for everybody, but we like them, are interested in improving what we offer. I'd like to have a milk cow here too, but just don't have the time to do that yet...

Gale

Thanks for the info Gale, I've only seen pictures of Dexters but your animals look good from what I can tell. Do you advertise to sell the beef or the animals?

We raise registered Longhorns. However, we are presently boarding some registered Dexters for their owner who is finalizing their facility in the SW Texas area. We are presently boarding one young cow who just had a calf last week (41 lbs), one heifer, and one almost yearling bull. In June we'll be boarding 4 more for a month or so.

This aside:

The Dexters here are rather gentle, weigh between 500 and 600 lbs as "young adults", easy to manage, the one 1st calf heifer that had calf last week had no problems calving and produced a very nice looking calf. She is a good mama. We are boarding both red and black dexters here, all horned. The reds are relatively rare. The "short" horns of the Dexters are part of their trait and heritage. To de-horn one would be a serious dis-service to the breed. If one wants a Dexter w/o horns, then they should get the polled ones.

Sidney, to answer your question about advertising, we do put an ad on the ADCA's website and in their quarterly newsletter. Haven't had to advertise the beef, people just seem to find us somehow....I don't like the idea of advertising and then not being able to provide what someone wants...we have had a few "repeats" where someone purchased a heifer and then wants another the following year. I keep track of all the inquiries and try to get back to people once all the calves arrive; have been burned a couple of times when someone from across the country says "I want four heifers" and then never follows through, but overall the heifers go quickly.

Bill, I think you're a gem to keep those Dexters and take such good care of them...took me a second to figure out the "short-horns" comment...not too many people these days want to deal with any horns, but I think that the Dexters have very beautiful horns. There's a small herd of longhorns not far from us and whenever I'm on that road, I always slow down so I can see them. There's also a guy who breeds Ankole-Watusi cattle not far from here, but haven't seem them yet.

Latest posts