Dexter bull

Help Support CattleToday:

100_0042.jpg

Looks like you are fixin' to burn him at the stake!

Sorry about the teasing. Accept my appology. I don't know a thing in the world about a dexter. Is he a good one? What size do you want them?

Sorry about the teasing. Accept my appology. I don't know a thing in the world about a dexter. Is he a good one? What size do you want them?

Ditto for me.

Don't know anything about Dexters but besides being the right color, he looks as good as some and a lot better then a couple that were at the fair this year.

dun

Thanks Cherokeeruby for getting the picture!
Teasing is fine, I know where it come's from :p
By the breed description, Dexter bulls are to range 38" to 44" tall. Cows are smaller. Colors run solid black, red or dun. I went looking for the dun color and polled when I wanted a bull. I want to offer breeding to other cow breeds, so I'm hoping he grows to the height of his sire at 44". They are dual beef/dairy and I also want to learn how to milk. Hope the nutshell information helps, thank you for the compliments. :D

kjerckie":efoea3el said:
Thanks Cherokeeruby for getting the picture!
Teasing is fine, I know where it come's from :p
By the breed description, Dexter bulls are to range 38" to 44" tall. Cows are smaller. Colors run solid black, red or dun. I went looking for the dun color and polled when I wanted a bull. I want to offer breeding to other cow breeds, so I'm hoping he grows to the height of his sire at 44". They are dual beef/dairy and I also want to learn how to milk. Hope the nutshell information helps, thank you for the compliments. :D
Learning to milk is not hard at all.
Doing it twice a day every day gets somewhat tiring. :(

Greetings Monica,

Your cow is very nice. I like the deep girth and she has a really nice straight top line.

My bull will be seven months old, Oct 3rd. I have not weighed him, but his sire is 44" tall and weighs 1000lbs. The cow is 42". Picked him up in Colorado this summer.

I may have to re-think the milking idea, unless I'm sharing with a calf. I work alot of 12 hours shifts :cry:

Milking is not that hard. I have milked my cow once a day only and she is fine with that. The key to it is, you still have to milk at the same time every day, and sometimes they will dry up. It just depends on your cow. When I was milking mine, she would give me about 1 1/2 gallons a day with the once a day milking. It only took about ten minuets to milk her, preping her took longer.

Did you get your bull from the Lazy J 5 ranch or the Hi Country place?

Monica":3oelivpa said:
Milking is not that hard. I have milked my cow once a day only and she is fine with that. The key to it is, you still have to milk at the same time every day, and sometimes they will dry up. It just depends on your cow. When I was milking mine, she would give me about 1 1/2 gallons a day with the once a day milking. It only took about ten minuets to milk her, preping her took longer.

Did you get your bull from the Lazy J 5 ranch or the Hi Country place?

I have herd of people doing random milking by leaving the calf on the cow and penning the cow and calf away form each other the night before you milk the cow. You let the mother raises the calf for beef and you don't end up with a lot of waste milk and extra labor. Have not done this myself but have thought about it.

Sounds like the sharing with a calf is the way to go. Thanks.

Monica, got the bull from Lazy J5. Great people to know and nice animals. I drank my first glass of cold fresh out-of-cow milk at their place. I was amazed at the difference than from store bought. The scenery is truly beautiful up there!

You just missed the other picture, a few messages down from the bull photo...but you gave me a good chuckle! Thanks!

And, yes, that IS a nice looking Dexter! Both are, in fact!

Gale

I had to go back and look at the pictures again. You had me worried there for a minute.

:lol: Every day I answer the question at work "How's the cow?" At first I'd tell them he's a bull, not a cow. Now I just smile and say he is doing great.

Thank you for all the positive comments about our Dexters :heart: