deworming

Help Support CattleToday:

jwh

Reaction score
I have 8 cows with 8 calves, 6 of the pairs I purchased in Oct. of 08. The 2 other pairs were first calf heifers witch I have had for a couple years (well fed and wormed). All calves are within 2 months of each other. My question is ,It is now December and the newer cows don't look as fit, or fat as the two that I have had control over. Could this be because the new cows didn't get a fall wormer. if so, should I wait till I do my usual spring deworming or start now with a deworming block? or I am open for any other ideas.

most regimens are fall / spring. I had a few calves i got in mid summer that just didn't look great although they supposedly had spring worming and hit them with injectable and you could really see a difference in a matter of weeks. You can get a fecal done and know for sure.

I'd be careful with worming this time of year. You don't have your location. There is a warble that if killed in a certain stage, can cause some really bad affects on cattle (paralysis etc.) I don't remember the details, it's been too long since I read the article. You may want to do a search, or ask your vet what he/she recommends.

cypressfarms":wjvmdb45 said:
I'd be careful with worming this time of year. You don't have your location. There is a warble that if killed in a certain stage, can cause some really bad affects on cattle (paralysis etc.) I don't remember the details, it's been too long since I read the article. You may want to do a search, or ask your vet what he/she recommends.

Search on here for "warbles" or "grubs" or both

These compounds should be avoided in January and February since severe reactions may occur due to the death of larvae in the wall of the esophagus or spinal canal.

warbles , little migrating SOB's that make their way to the hide on the back and hatch out in spring

kscowboy":38dbkrgr said:
These compounds should be avoided in January and February since severe reactions may occur due to the death of larvae in the wall of the esophagus or spinal canal.

warbles , little migrating SOB's that make their way to the hide on the back and hatch out in spring

Not all wormers affect warbles. The ones to avoid are the ones that specify "warble, heel fly larvae, grubs" All 3 are the same thing just different names

Latest posts