Deworming ?

Help Support CattleToday:

You can do all the stuff above or just give each cow a $1 to 2 shot twice a year. You need to gather them up to vaccinate anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Dectomax in the spring and then Valbazen and a cheap pour on in the fall. The following year use a good Ivermectin or Cydectin in the spring and Valbazen and a pour on in the fall.

My inclination would be to cull the heifer if she is the only one in the group to have that problem.
When rotating dewormers you should consider the class of the drug, not the drug. Ivomec, Dectomax, Long Range, Eprinex are all the same class, so if there is resistance to one of that group there is resistance to all in the class. Safeguard, Panacur, Valbazen, Synanthic are all another class. Tramisol and Levasole are another class and Cydectin is it's own class. I use white drench wormers in Spring and injectables in Fall. I do not inject or pour-on any dewormers- everything goes oral.

Dectomax in the spring and then Valbazen and a cheap pour on in the fall. The following year use a good Ivermectin or Cydectin in the spring and Valbazen and a pour on in the fall.
There is a time frame for using Valbazen. From their website:
"Do not administer to female cattle during first 45 days of pregnancy or for 45 days after removal of bulls. Do not administer to ewes or does during the first 30 days of pregnancy or for 30 days after removal of rams or bucks. Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment, and control of parasitism."

Safeguard is safe to use all year round.

I've never read that but it's good to know. I've always given it in the Fall. I pull the bulls between July 15 and Aug 1st. Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

What about the argument that using alternate drugs just increases resistance to all? I had a vet ask me what I was was using and I told him I was a cheap SOB an used Noromectin injection. He told me as long as you are using an injection product and you aren't having problems, there is no real reason to change.

He said switching amongst the classes just invites resistance and its better to have a couple bullets left in your belt when things quit working. He went on to say that there is not enough classes to switch around or you might get stuck with nothing left to do but sell out.

Lastly he recommended Cydectin for that class of wormer, so usually my cows and replacements get that and the big calves at weaning get the Noromectin.

What about the argument that using alternate drugs just increases resistance to all? I had a vet ask me what I was was using and I told him I was a cheap SOB an used Noromectin injection. He told me as long as you are using an injection product and you aren't having problems, there is no real reason to change.

He said switching amongst the classes just invites resistance and its better to have a couple bullets left in your belt when things quit working. He went on to say that there is not enough classes to switch around or you might get stuck with nothing left to do but sell out.

Lastly he recommended Cydectin for that class of wormer, so usually my cows and replacements get that and the big calves at weaning get the Noromectin.
You are correct. Use one drug until it is no longer effective, then switch. We are slowly learning what the goat people learned the hard way about resistance. 1) There is probably no reason to deworm adults on a herd basis, only individuals as needed and they should be on a cull list. 2) Use a drug on young animals until it loses efficacy, then switch. I haven't dewormed an adult cow with the exception of thin cows (very few of them) in 3-4 years and haven't noticed a difference.

You are correct. Use one drug until it is no longer effective, then switch. We are slowly learning what the goat people learned the hard way about resistance. 1) There is probably no reason to deworm adults on a herd basis, only individuals as needed and they should be on a cull list. 2) Use a drug on young animals until it loses efficacy, then switch. I haven't dewormed an adult cow with the exception of thin cows (very few of them) in 3-4 years and haven't noticed a difference.
I sold a guy some fat cows recently and he asked when had I wormed last, I told him I don't unless they look wormy, he acted like I wasn't caring for them properly if they weren't being wormed. These were fat and I had just weaned calves off of them.

What JKCattle said, above! Take it to heart!
I haven't dewormed - or recommended deworming - an adult cow in over 20 years...unless you're in a liver fluke area.
Sure, there's some benefit to deworming growing calves, and probably also bred and nursing first-calf heifers. But adult cows don't - and shouldn't - need deworming once or twice a year, every year.

I haven't seen a case of Ostertagiasis in an adult cow since some time back in the early 1990s; the macrocyclic lactone (Ivermectin, etc.) class of dewormers have done a fantastic job of almost pushing that very impactful parasite almost into extinction on most premises.

Here's another twist,before the deworming she had diarrhea and swelling under her jaw. After the deworming the diarrhea got worse and more swelling from her jaw down to her chest/brisket area. I went back and ask the vet and he said for me to give her a tube of vita charge. Also I started her on corid in her drinking water. I also gave her a shot of LA 300. She hasn't got the runs anymore but she still has some swelling under her jaw and down to her chest. Any advise please

Last edited:
before the deworming she had diarrhea and swelling under her jaw. After the deworming the diarrhea got worse and more swelling from her jaw down to her chest/brisket area. I went back and ask the vet and he said for me to give her a tube of vita charge. Also I started her on corid in her drinking water. I also gave her a shot of LA 300. She hasn't got the runs anymore but she still has some swelling under her jaw and down to her chest. Any advise please
Antibiotics are sometimes used to reduce Johnes symptoms. Test or just cull.

Last edited:
If your vet was on the ball, a 2 year old struggling with weight is a tip off for sure. They get it at birth but symptoms don't show until usually after they have their first calf. Even if you decide to just ship her - TEST HER. If she has it, you have an uphill issue. Not trying to scare you, but do want you to understand worms are no big deal - Johnes IS a big deal.