Deworming

Help Support CattleToday:

bigsteve

Reaction score
I want to deworm my cows. They all have a calf by their side. The calves are 3-4 months old. Is there any reason why I should not do this right now while the calves are nursing. Note: pour-on is all I can use, as I do not have a head gate or squeeze chute yet.

No reason not to do it now... though I virtually never deworm a cow older than 4 years of age; not convinced that it's economically or medically warranted. Calves will benefit more from it than will the cows.
If all you can do is pour-on, that's all you can do. It's a p-poor way of doing it, but buy a name-brand product... not generic... and follow directions to a T. Proper dose for the weight of animal, administered properly.

Good time to pour is now to head off winter lice. How much worm control you get from a pour on is debatable.
Yes, calves/younger animals get more deworming benefits than 4+ year olds.

Son of Butch":1johqtjr said:
Good time to pour is now to head off winter lice. How much worm control you get from a pour on is debatable.
Yes, calves/younger animals get more deworming benefits than 4+ year olds.
Lucky p has told in the past how much benefit you get from a pour on..and it surprised me how little you get...

Thought he might comment again on it,, but it was something like only 30 % protection,,From a pour on... I'd reapply in a couple weeks if its all you can do..

OK - question. Grubs. In my area, we are NOT supposed to use a Pour-On that will gill grubs past 11-1. If the grubs have migrated, you can kill your cows.
I don't know if grubs are a problem anymore, but please check it out for your area.
I strictly stick to that date for fall de-worming.

Not that this answers your question. But safeguard has a product that you can mix with your lose mineral to deworm. They also have their product in a range cube. That would give you another deworming option.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2zxm3dam said:
OK - question. Grubs. In my area, we are NOT supposed to use a Pour-On that will gill grubs past 11-1. If the grubs have migrated, you can kill your cows.
I don't know if grubs are a problem anymore, but please check it out for your area.
I strictly stick to that date for fall de-worming.

Based on information I have gathered, warble flies are not a problem here. The grubs you mention are the warble fly maggot or larva.

Latest posts