Deworming

Help Support CattleToday:

bigsteve

Reaction score
I want to deworm my cows. They all have a calf by their side. The calves are 3-4 months old. Is there any reason why I should not do this right now while the calves are nursing. Note: pour-on is all I can use, as I do not have a head gate or squeeze chute yet.

Lucky_P

Reaction score
No reason not to do it now... though I virtually never deworm a cow older than 4 years of age; not convinced that it's economically or medically warranted. Calves will benefit more from it than will the cows.
If all you can do is pour-on, that's all you can do. It's a p-poor way of doing it, but buy a name-brand product... not generic... and follow directions to a T. Proper dose for the weight of animal, administered properly.

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Good time to pour is now to head off winter lice. How much worm control you get from a pour on is debatable.
Yes, calves/younger animals get more deworming benefits than 4+ year olds.

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
Son of Butch":1johqtjr said:
Good time to pour is now to head off winter lice. How much worm control you get from a pour on is debatable.
Yes, calves/younger animals get more deworming benefits than 4+ year olds.
Lucky p has told in the past how much benefit you get from a pour on..and it surprised me how little you get...

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
Thought he might comment again on it,, but it was something like only 30 % protection,,From a pour on... I'd reapply in a couple weeks if its all you can do..

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
OK - question. Grubs. In my area, we are NOT supposed to use a Pour-On that will gill grubs past 11-1. If the grubs have migrated, you can kill your cows.
I don't know if grubs are a problem anymore, but please check it out for your area.
I strictly stick to that date for fall de-worming.

cjmc

Reaction score
Not that this answers your question. But safeguard has a product that you can mix with your lose mineral to deworm. They also have their product in a range cube. That would give you another deworming option.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2zxm3dam said:
OK - question. Grubs. In my area, we are NOT supposed to use a Pour-On that will gill grubs past 11-1. If the grubs have migrated, you can kill your cows.
I don't know if grubs are a problem anymore, but please check it out for your area.
I strictly stick to that date for fall de-worming.

Based on information I have gathered, warble flies are not a problem here. The grubs you mention are the warble fly maggot or larva.

Latest posts