deworming in the southeast.

Help Support CattleToday:

mds

Reaction score
as a general rule, when is the best time to deworm so the cattle benefit the most. I live in central alabama. Also is there much difference in the injectable vs pour-on medication. any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance, mike.

We try to deworm in spring and fall, due to the heat being the main reason, but if they need it and are in poor condition give it to them, regard less time of the year.

Injectable vs. pour-on

Pour -on was developed out of the way of convince for the producer. Personally I would use inject able for these reasons.

1. When you inject the dewormer Subqtanilly you know that it is in there.
2. I don't want anything that could penetrate a cow's tough hide to be near my skin.
3. With pour-on you tend to waste some
4. Also with pour on they need to be fenced out of a pond or creek for a while.

But you do what is best for you and your operation. Answer these questions and they will tell you which is better suited for you.

What type of facility do I have?
What is the behavior of my herd? Calm or wild as a buck
How much time do I have?

If you have a good facility disregard the behavior question an use the injectable, but if you just have an ok facility and some nervous cows you might look at pour-on. The best advice I can give you is try it both ways and with the experience you will be able to decide which is best for you.

Best of Luck

Our vet told us that if we wait until after the first freeze to worm the effects will last longer due to the critters going dormant.

mds":1yzo97z8 said:
as a general rule, when is the best time to deworm so the cattle benefit the most. I live in central alabama. Also is there much difference in the injectable vs pour-on medication. any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance, mike.

cherokeeruby":s7q433vz said:
Our vet told us that if we wait until after the first freeze to worm the effects will last longer due to the critters going dormant.

mds":s7q433vz said:

Very true Cherokee this just doesn't leave me a big window. I worm Mermorial, Labor and New years has worked well for us.

Latest posts