Deworming Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Quantumfieldsinc

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my first bottle calf about a month ago. I am new to cattle, but am experienced in horses and other livestock. She is around 4 months now and weaned off of the bottle. I noticed that her coat isn't shedding out and we are in Houston, so it is very hot! I believe she is an angus/Hereford cross.

She is a very good eater and is on free access to hay, grass and amplicalf and gets 2 cups of calf manna a day. She will have looser manure every once in a while, but not constant. Seems to correlate if she eats more grass vs. hay. She isn't lethargic, plays and grazes at night and sleeps in front of the fan during the heat of the day.

I suspect worms for the rough coat. How much and what kind would I giver her? Would anything else cause the not shedding out?

She is up-to-date on vaccines and will get her 7-way when she is 6 months. From what I know, her original farmer did not deworm her yet. She will be kept as a pet. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

We worm our calves when we work them at appx 3 months and there doesn't seem to be any correlation to whether or not they have a rough coat. Ours are Angus, Angus/Hereford & a few Angus/Simm. About half the calves are slick and the rest still ratty. I have an orphan with a rough coat that I brush and it helps.

TCRanch":lm1estyu said:
We worm our calves when we work them at appx 3 months and there doesn't seem to be any correlation to whether or not they have a rough coat. Ours are Angus, Angus/Hereford & a few Angus/Simm. About half the calves are slick and the rest still ratty. I have an orphan with a rough coat that I brush and it helps.

Great, thank you! I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something wrong with her that would cause that. What type of dewormer do you use?

We use Ivermectin pour on and get it from our vet. Probably cheaper from one of the Coops or farm supply store but our vet's a lot closer. I was really checking out the herd today and even the cows that are still rough have either the Hereford or Simm mix, the pure Angus are slick as snot.

Latest posts